Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The impulse has come upon me and I am really looking to upgrade to either of these models. I love a longer axle to axle. Sell me on which bow I should go with. They both feel so sweet in the hand.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Well I had the Traverse and now own the VXR 31.5.
The VXR 31.5 has a longer riser than the Traverse, and to me it is an improvement in balance, hold and pin float.
I shoot the VXR more accurately than I did the Traverse, it is just easier to shoot.
I also think the VXR is a smidge quieter, and also a bit deader in hand.
The Traverse draws a bit easier................
My 2c

·
Registered
139 Posts
Personally I own the VXR 31.5 and almost bought the Traverse. I love both of them. If you’re not planning to take advantage of the switch weight tech I’d recommend saving the extra money and picking up a Traverse. You’ll be very happy either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Both great bows. I have the VXR 31.5 and it seems to be everything Mathews said it was. It balances very well. I believe it is the quietest bow on the market. It holds and shoots extremely well. As others have said, the draw may be a little stiffer than the Traverse. I use the switch weight technology, so for me it was a better choice.

·
Registered
VXR 31.5 29” BE X-impacts, Black Gold Custom Pro, Hybrid Hunter Pro
95 Posts
I own a traverse and really enjoy it, but come this november i will be looking to upgrade to either a VXR 31.5 or hopefully a VXR 33 if mathews comes through with that. I just want the higher poundage so i can sling my 490gn axis arrows a little bit faster. Traverse is super smooth and the VXR has a stiffer draw at the start but smooth all the way. VXR should aim better than the traverse which is crazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for sharing ya'll. I'm looking to get a new bow soon (long time PSE shooter) but have been interested in the new Mathews models. Might have to go shoot these soon.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,778 Posts
the switch weight technology is cool if you plan on changing things up or selling it down the road. if it was me i would save a few hundred dollars and get a traverse but if money isn't as big of a deal i would go with a vxr. i was really debating between the traverse and vertix. the traverse is longer ata but the vertix had the switch weight technology. ended up with an elite ritual 35 because i liked the longer ata and i got a killer deal i could not pass up lol

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
I’ve still got the Traverse, best bow Mathews has ever made imo. Seems to be a lot of tuning threads on the VXR, left tears and low tears. For whatever reason you just don’t see many at all on tuning on Traverse.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,783 Posts
I'm not good at selling people.....I would rather you go shoot them and decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why limit yourself to two bows? Shoot as many as you can and let the bow pick you.
With any other product I would agree with you but mathews has me through and through. I have always felt that they are the smoothest and quietest shooting bows. I have never shot a Hoyt or a PSE that felt quite as quiet in the hand. But that could totally be bias already planted in my mind.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Those two bows are so similar it’s a personal preference thing and what will you use it for. If I had to pick one as a do it all bow I’d go with the traverse. If I was picking one for hunting only it would be the VXR.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,200 Posts
With any other product I would agree with you but mathews has me through and through. I have always felt that they are the smoothest and quietest shooting bows. I have never shot a Hoyt or a PSE that felt quite as quiet in the hand. But that could totally be bias already planted in my mind.
You do realize all this "dead in hand" terminology means jack with today's bows versus bows made 10+ years ago... and also means jack once you put equipment on the bow. Extra weight from sights, rests, stabs, quivers helps dampen everything down. An aftermarket better quality string stop works wonders if you so desire. If that's your selling point on what makes a bow the best, by all means go ahead, but it's about the last thing on my list.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a Traverse and shot the 31.5 on a few occasions. Wasn't worth the upgrade cost to me. If I was buying new, I'd probably still get the Traverse. Now a 34-35" VXR with a 6.5+ BH will cause a TON of Traverses to hit the classifieds.

·
Ad Meliora
18,165 Posts
You do realize all this "dead in hand" terminology means jack with today's bows versus bows made 10+ years ago... and also means jack once you put equipment on the bow. Extra weight from sights, rests, stabs, quivers helps dampen everything down. An aftermarket better quality string stop works wonders if you so desire. If that's your selling point on what makes a bow the best, by all means go ahead, but it's about the last thing on my list.
Your list isn’t identical to the lists of others...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I have a Traverse and shot the 31.5 on a few occasions. Wasn't worth the upgrade cost to me. If I was buying new, I'd probably still get the Traverse. Now a 34-35" VXR with a 6.5+ BH will cause a TON of Traverses to hit the classifieds.
I wish the sales team at Mathews thought the same

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I am in the same boat I regret selling my traverse and wondering now if the vxr is that much better or pick up a used traverse here. Anyone else??

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
There is more in common with those 2 bows than different. It is really a personal preference.

I tried them both at the shop and in my hands the 31.5 had a smoother draw cycle and held on target much better. But since I had to wait 6 months to get mine, I kinda wish I had walked out with the Traverse on the shelf....

But everyone is going to be different. I'll be the first in line if Mathews releases a 33-35" VXR. I'm hoping for a 7" BH, but they will probably go a little shorter to keep the speed numbers looking good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts