Archery Talk Forum banner

Treating clothes with WOOD SMOKE...does it work?

3244 40
If you have tried wood (or leaf) smoke on your hunting clothes as a cover scent for deer, tell us how it worked for you! Thanks in advance!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Arrow-minded Conservative
3,308 Posts
Smoke works!

I posted this last Monday on another thread:

I don't have a smoker, but this weekend sold me on the effectiveness of smoke!

I have a little Coleman firepit with a lid. I started a small fire with twigs. When it got "roaring" I smothered it with dry leaves. When the leaves flamed up, I put the lid on the pan for a moment until the flames went out. I immediately lifted the lid and bathed in the huge disgusting puff of smoke. As soon as the leaves flamed up, I put the lid back on. I did this 5 or 6 times.

I then went into the woods to my natural blind. It's made out of some blown-down trees that I covered with branches. Three loose walls. No roof.

An hour later a 6-point buck walked up to the blind and started to feed. For the next half hour, he was 5 feet to 4 yards away from me and didn't know I was there. Even more amazing, I was sitting in a folding chair, so I was BELOW his nose!

At one point, he tried to enter the blind, but the way the trees had fallen, he couldn't get in. (He didn't seem all that interested.) But he looked at me for a while from 5 or 6 feet away. I stayed completely motionless (was wearing a flat ASAT jacket, beige pants, and spotted black & white bandana, if that matters) and kept my baseball hat tipped down so he wouldn't get freaked out by my beady predator eyes.

Most of the time he was far too close for me to get a shot. But I haven't taken a doe yet, so I had to let him walk even when he was eating the corn 15 yards away from me.

An hour later, 3 does came in and the same thing happened. They stayed feet away from me, and even ate some of the leaves of my blind. I could have reached out and touched all four with an arrow. Unfortunately, there were some dogs barking in the distance behind me at that point, so the does were always looking my direction and I couldn't get a shot. (This morning I fixed a design flaw in the blind so next time I'll be able to stand up w/o being seen and take the shot.)

Still, it was a VERY exciting morning (happy birthday to me!), and it sold me on the power of smoke. Now that I'm 100% committed to the concept, I'm going to get me a smoker.

· Registered
772 Posts
I dont know. I was scent free, hanging my clothes in my basement, purposfully, where wood smoke was present from the wood furnace. That season, I got winded almost everytime I was out. The next season, I did the scent free thing the same but didnt hang my clothes in the basement. Kept them outside. Got winded very few times. Me, I stay away from the wood smoke. I guess it depends on where you live and what the deer associate with humans.

· Registered
4,760 Posts
I posted this last Monday on another thread:

I don't have a smoker, but this weekend sold me on the effectiveness of smoke!

I have a little Coleman firepit with a lid. I started a small fire with twigs. When it got "roaring" I smothered it with dry leaves. When the leaves flamed up, I put the lid on the pan for a moment until the flames went out. I immediately lifted the lid and bathed in the huge disgusting puff of smoke. As soon as the leaves flamed up, I put the lid back on. I did this 5 or 6 times.

I then went into the woods to my natural blind. It's made out of some blown-down trees that I covered with branches. Three loose walls. No roof.

An hour later a 6-point buck walked up to the blind and started to feed. For the next half hour, he was 5 feet to 4 yards away from me and didn't know I was there. Even more amazing, I was sitting in a folding chair, so I was BELOW his nose!

At one point, he tried to enter the blind, but the way the trees had fallen, he couldn't get in. (He didn't seem all that interested.) But he looked at me for a while from 5 or 6 feet away. I stayed completely motionless (was wearing a flat ASAT jacket, beige pants, and spotted black & white bandana, if that matters) and kept my baseball hat tipped down so he wouldn't get freaked out by my beady predator eyes.

Most of the time he was far too close for me to get a shot. But I haven't taken a doe yet, so I had to let him walk even when he was eating the corn 15 yards away from me.

An hour later, 3 does came in and the same thing happened. They stayed feet away from me, and even ate some of the leaves of my blind. I could have reached out and touched all four with an arrow. Unfortunately, there were some dogs barking in the distance behind me at that point, so the does were always looking my direction and I couldn't get a shot. (This morning I fixed a design flaw in the blind so next time I'll be able to stand up w/o being seen and take the shot.)

Still, it was a VERY exciting morning (happy birthday to me!), and it sold me on the power of smoke. Now that I'm 100% committed to the concept, I'm going to get me a smoker.
I started using the smoker last year, I had several does and smaller bucks downwind from me MANY times.... I had a Monster buck withing 10 yards of my stand in Illinois and he had no idea I was ever there...(Thanks to a small branch I didn't see, he is STILL there). Using a smoker is AWESOME.......I wouldn't ever "LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT".............

rEV...............

· Registered
322 Posts
the guy who kept his clothes hanging near the basement wood burning stove may have picked up more "basement" smells than smoke. You need to SMOKE those clothes, not just hang near a source of heat.

· Registered
50 Posts
the guy who kept his clothes hanging near the basement wood burning stove may have picked up more "basement" smells than smoke. You need to SMOKE those clothes, not just hang near a source of heat.
Agreed. I use my Scent Smoker on clothes washed in scent free soap and keep separate from where they can pick up other household odors. Not sure its totally necessary, but I want only the smoke to be the only smell the deer smell. Nothing seems to ever be fool proof except being downwind, but this has beat the socks off the over priced sprays and carbon clothes. www.scentsmoker.com

BTW - I don't have any affiliation with them, just another customer. If it didn't work, I would be the first to run it down. :wink:

· Registered
32 Posts
Tried it last season hunting whitetails in the midwest. Seemed to work great. Had many close encounters and was not busted once. In previous seasons I always had some situations where I was busted because of being winded.

I am definately going to smoke myself and my clothes again this season.

· Registered
5,643 Posts
This is very interesting. We moved this past summer and this will be my first season stuffing a woodstove with wood every morning and I have been nervous about smelling like smoke. Guess I will wing it and see what happens now.

· Banned
138 Posts
Everything from Used Tampons to wood smoke... It never amazes me what we will stoop to in order to kill a deer...My brother smokes something terrible and he had killed tons of deer with the rifle and most of the time he says he had a cigarette in his mouth when he made the shot. I got him into bow hunting about 10 years ago and he has killed 2 deer and has a terrible time with deer picking him out. So you form your own opinion...

To Me any wildlife will associate the smoke smell with wild fire and DANGER.

I wont mention a test of trying to get a deer to eat Marshmallow. MAybe we should have toasted them first...

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Using a scent-smoker this year for the first time. I have had both young and old deer downwind of me already and i am getting mixed results. When they get a wiff of the smoke, they dont' freak out and go into high alert like they do if they smell human scent. But instead they stop and sniff the air for minutes at a time and then they slowly walk away only to return and do it all over again. Had a shooter buck do it 3 times before he had enough and kept going. The same night a mature doe was at less than 20 yds. directly down wind and acted like nothing bothered her. Drew on her but i could not see my pins clear enough for a clean shot. She eventually sniffed and LICKED the fence where i put my hand when i crossed over. So....verdict is still out, further testing is needed.

· Registered
205 Posts
I have been doing it for years I got a small cheap charcoal grill at Wal-Mart they are on clearance this time of year. I wash my clothes in baking soda and air dry them then I take some scrap cherry soak some of it in water for 15 minutes. I start a fire with scrap pine and oak then once it gets cooking I throw in the wet cherry. I have never been winded nor had a deer spook. The area I hunt most of the homeowners have burning pits and have fires going throughout the summer so the scent is natural to my local deer heard

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went for it tonight and smoked all my hunting clothes. I made a fire with whiteoak and apple wood and set my clothes next to the fire in swirling wind. They smoked for a little over an hour and I would add a little water to the wood to get good smoke. I put them all in an airtight tub afterward. Season begins in 2 days here so, if this thread is still alive I will post results, good or bad. Thanks for all the thoughts!

· Registered
3,619 Posts
I don't scent my clothes on purpose but some get the smell because of where they're stored. Scent free is always better, but wood smoke doesn't seem to hurt and is better than stink.

Kind of funny that many slam scent lok which smells like smoke/burnt when it comes out of the dryer, but love the smoker. But you can't re whatever scent lok in a dryer according to the many chemists we have on these boards.

· Registered
50 Posts
sounds like another fad to me guy's?
I was as skeptical about it as the next guy prior to trying it. I've bought a lot of gear over the years that doesn't seem to do what the advertising claims they would. This isn't one of them. Whether or not you want to spend the $30 to buy a Scent Smoker, build a campfire and smoke your clothes before heading out and try it. The Scent Smoker just makes the process that much easier and quicker.

Read the testimonials here:

http://www.scentsmoker.com/test.html

Page about half way down and read the one from Mrex. Mike Rex is monster buck killing machine in Ohio and he gets a lot of products to test for free. He wouldn't write a testimonial for something that doesn't actually work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.