Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ended up going with a summit viper SD. Does anyone have any suggestions on accessories that they have now that they wish they would have bought when they first got their climbing stand? I have seen other posts indicating something from third hand archery but not sure what guys liked that they sold.

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,286 Posts
Thirdhands Stabilizer straps and bow holder are a must! I’m sure he’ll comment on here and give you the run down on his products. Good stuff.
I’ll second that thought.
Stabilizer straps and bow holder for sure!!

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,286 Posts
Also consider some stealth strips, (you can search online for the company)
Put the stealth strips anywhere on your top and bottom that will contact metal when setting up and packing out.
Amazing how quiet it makes the process

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any input on better shoulder straps as well? The ones that come with aren’t the most comfortable for long hikes in. What makes third hand stabilizer straps better are they just beefier and built better?

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,057 Posts
Anyone have any input on better shoulder straps as well? The ones that come with aren’t the most comfortable for long hikes in. What makes third hand stabilizer straps better are they just beefier and built better?
have you watched the video on the straps and how they work? If not, I would suggest you do.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
There have probably been 1,000 threads on Jim's stabilizer straps. They're perfect, $20, and will keep you safe. Just order them.

·
Registered
Fred Bear - Epic Extreme
5 Posts
Ok so I ended up going with a summit viper SD. Does anyone have any suggestions on accessories that they have now that they wish they would have bought when they first got their climbing stand? I have seen other posts indicating something from third hand archery but not sure what guys liked that they sold.
I’ve had a Summit Viper for many years and love it. One of the best upgrades I made was to replace the webbing straps for wearing it on your back with padded backpack straps. The webbing straps get pretty uncomfortable if you have to wear it any distance. Especially when you have your day pack strapped to it as well. I went to a local outdoors store that sells good backpacks and they had several extras that they had taken off packs. They actually gave me 2 of them.

·
Vendor
25,999 Posts
Thirdhands Stabilizer straps and bow holder are a must! I’m sure he’ll comment on here and give you the run down on his products. Good stuff.
Thanks Mike. To make it easy here ya go. Products Detail
The best $70 one can spend on making their stay on stand comfortable, safe quiet and the least amount of movement.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone has any backpack straps or knows where to get some preferably with a strap around the chest/ waist area would be ideal.

·
Registered
25,555 Posts
This is not a Summit, but rather a Cougar Claw climber that I happened to purchased used from Jim at Third Hand this winter. Previous to this stand, I had a Summit Viper SI that was set up virtually the same. You can see the Third Hand bow holder on the right siide of the photo and the stabilizer straps wrapped around the middle to hold the two sections tightly together so they don't clunk while hiking. I also swapped out the stock cushy seat for a Slumper mesh seat so it is less bulky and easier to nest the two sections.

Most climbers come with a rope or single strap to keep from potentially losing the bottom section while climbing, which the stabilizer straps do in spaces as a pair....plus they cinch down when you arrive at desired height so the top and bottom sections become a solid unit. Once you experience this you will KNOW why so many of us recommend them. I also have Third Hand treads on the platform to quiet and cushion foot movement.

I've tried a number of carry setups and recently got the straps/waist support from Lone Wolf (LWCG). They went on easily and after doing some test runs around our ten acres, I can say they are the most comfortable of all the ones I've tested. As far as a "saddle bag", Summit makes a strap on bag that I had on my Viper SI before I sold it. Not sure if I am going to attach it or simply have it in the Jeep so my RC harness and Qsafe are along and handy. The rest of my gear is going into an Alps bino harness that I retrofitted for accessories.....folding saw, knife, haul rope, strap-on hook for my bow or whatever, spare release, gloves, hat, field dressing kit, etc. My "system" has morphed and improved every season as I see what works best.
Plant Luggage and bags Bag Chair Grass

·
Vendor
25,999 Posts
This is not a Summit, but rather a Cougar Claw climber that I happened to purchased used from Jim at Third Hand this winter. Previous to this stand, I had a Summit Viper SI that was set up virtually the same. You can see the Third Hand bow holder on the right siide of the photo and the stabilizer straps wrapped around the middle to hold the two sections tightly together so they don't clunk while hiking. I also swapped out the stock cushy seat for a Slumper mesh seat so it is less bulky and easier to nest the two sections.

Most climbers come with a rope or single strap to keep from potentially losing the bottom section while climbing, which the stabilizer straps do in spaces as a pair....plus they cinch down when you arrive at desired height so the top and bottom sections become a solid unit. Once you experience this you will KNOW why so many of us recommend them. I also have Third Hand treads on the platform to quiet and cushion foot movement.

I've tried a number of carry setups and recently got the straps/waist support from Lone Wolf (LWCG). They went on easily and after doing some test runs around our ten acres, I can say they are the most comfortable of all the ones I've tested. As far as a "saddle bag", Summit makes a strap on bag that I had on my Viper SI before I sold it. Not sure if I am going to attach it or simply have it in the Jeep so my RC harness and Qsafe are along and handy. The rest of my gear is going into an Alps bino harness that I retrofitted for accessories.....folding saw, knife, haul rope, strap-on hook for my bow or whatever, spare release, gloves, hat, field dressing kit, etc. My "system" has morphed and improved every season as I see what works best.
View attachment 7465995
Love how you camoed the stand. Looks great. Thanks much for your support of Third Hand archery Products. How do you like the climbing ability of the stand compared to your Summits?

·
Registered
25,555 Posts
Love how you camoed the stand. Looks great. Thanks much for your support of Third Hand archery Products. How do you like the climbing ability of the stand compared to your Summits?
It is a really nice stand, Jim....thank you too! It is a bit lighter than my Summit and the cable setup is a notch above with the lock pins vs the cable crimps and clasp. Plus the leveling feature is a nice addition. Well designed and built....looking forward to spending time in it this fall.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As Alaska said, the LWCG shoulder straps are a good option, as well as the Molle military shoulder straps. Both good. I will say the LWCG weigh 7-8 oz. while the Molle weigh around 23oz. if that makes any difference to you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can’t find the molle straps anywhere but I would imagine they would be cheaper than the LWCG at $50

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I can’t find the molle straps anywhere but I would imagine they would be cheaper than the LWCG at $50
Probably not much difference. LWCG shoulder straps and Waist Belt is 50 yes. Molle II shoulder straps with quick release buckles and the molle II waist belt on ebay will be at least 35. Probably 40-45.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts