Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what height does every one place there stands? I ask because this is my first year in a tree stand, would like to know how high to place it?

·
Bowhunter
5,200 Posts
12-20 feet, depending on topography and cover.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Varies

It depends where I'm setting up. I have some treestands that I can only go up about 14ft others are at 24ft and that because of the height of the trees.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I like to go a minimum of 20 feet. Sometimes that is not possible, but this year I have a stand that is a minimum of 21-22 feet. Looking up from the ground that doesn't look to tall, BUT looking down that is plenty tall for me.

Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
20 if at all possible I had one big boy walk through and was kinda scanning upward I was up 25 ft shot and missed him though it was a bummer but for sure 20 ft up

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
We have pretty rugged country here, so I like to go 15-20 feet. I do like to stay in trees that will give me some cover.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go as high as your comfortable with... Going too high and not feeling comfortable about it would be useless... Just be safe..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hunt out of a climbing stand and I always climb till my 20 foot rope pulls tight on bow/gun

·
Registered
982 Posts
I agree with most of what the replies you received say. 20 feet seems to be the standard effective height. Higher makes close shots harder, and single lung hits more likely. Going higher than you are comfortable with is counter productive. Lower is OK if cover & terrain permit.

All that being said, the single most important thing YOU can do in your stand to increase your effectiveness is to STAY STILL. No camo can overcome moving too quickly on stand. It’s the hardest thing for young/new hunters to master. Just like we should always act as if a firearm is loaded, we should always act like a deer is watching our area from a distance. Get still quickly too. Don’t think that because you’ve just climbed into your tree there are no deer nearby, and if there were you’ve spooked them. Just as good a chance they’ve heard you and may come to investigate (at least younger deer). Always move in SLOW motion.

For safety, ratchet strap the bottom of your climber if you plan to be there for a long hunt. This will give you a super solid base, and confidence to twist or lean (with a safety belt of course) if you need to. With strap/chain-on stands, my club does this: We have a ½ inch rope line from top to bottom, and keep our full body harness attached the entire time up & down. We use the prussic knot that slides up & down rope, but will not allow it to slide down during a fall. (Anyone interested in this idea, please message me. I’m not selling it; you get your own supplies, it’s easy to make!)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
PA Dan said:
18-20 for me.

Ditto, and I use my 20 ft. bow tow rope as a reference when using my climber. Don't forget your Safety Harness!!!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts