Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I am looking at a big dog tree stand from spotsman wharehouse I lookes like a good stand I put a picture of it on here if anyone uses one I would like to know what they think of it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Get a summit..

Should buy a summit...you have the confidence of buying from a top notch company w/ great customer support. Search around...I got a brand new '05 summit cobra for a great price at Dicks.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Go with a good Alumminum stand if you can ..after you carry one a long ways you will know why. I have a summit and it was about 60.00 great stand and very light .

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stand is like 60 bucks from sportsmans wharehouse I looked at a lotta stands and most of them wouldnt work for me as I am a pretty big guy

·
after that he's gone
1,684 Posts
I agree with ftshooter. I bought a cheep no name climber last year and after two mourning hunts I found cracks inthe metal where they made some bends. I am a big guy too and was right at the weight limit. I bought an api aluminum stand and it is a world of difference. What a difference in the quality.JMO

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the response the reasons I was looking at this on is one its not expensive which is good considering I have 3 kids the only reason I am getting to spend 1400 dollars on a new bow tax time is my wife has started noticing how down I get every hunting season because I cant hunt. also it looked pretty comfortable and I like comfort as I will usually spent the whole day in the stand instead of climbing out at noon like a lot of people do.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
PSEloyal said:
I appreciate all the response the reasons I was looking at this on is one its not expensive which is good considering I have 3 kids the only reason I am getting to spend 1400 dollars on a new bow tax time is my wife has started noticing how down I get every hunting season because I cant hunt. also it looked pretty comfortable and I like comfort as I will usually spent the whole day in the stand instead of climbing out at noon like a lot of people do.

I hear that and I wish these guys that say they are finding cheap summits or lone wolfs or API's would tell us where we can get a cheap one. I for one would love to find one under 100 bucks.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good to know some people still understand I am not a white collar worker with all the money at my disposal to buy what I want so I gotta to decide skimp on the hunting rig to get good tree stands or try cheaper stand and get a high quality hunting rig

·
Registered
744 Posts
PSEloyal said:
ok I am looking at a big dog tree stand from spotsman wharehouse I lookes like a good stand I put a picture of it on here if anyone uses one I would like to know what they think of it
I bought one of these stands from Sportsmans guide to use this season and tried it out in my backyard tree and it is actually a comfortable stand, I love the seat, very adjustable. Its a little heavy at 24lbs but it fit my budget. I do not regret buying this stand.:)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Forgot, I paid $79. This price included shipping.:)

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool thanks man may go ahead and get me a couple still gotta spend a little on a ground blind though for when my 5 year old daughter wants to go with me

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
PSEloyal said:
cool thanks man may go ahead and get me a couple still gotta spend a little on a ground blind though for when my 5 year old daughter wants to go with me
Thats awesome, get em started young. I actually just saw some pretty nice blinds advertised at menards today. You might check em out. I've listed the link below.

http://menards.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp?drpStoreID=1

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My brother is also abig guy.This is whwat we did. 3 years ago we got 1 of those summit strap on tree seats the big one fits big butts. We get thoso cheap lock ons from Wall*Mart and cut the seat off just above where you atatch the ratchet strap(the top one). Now you have 1 cheap stand that you can adjust eat hight or park a big butt.We use multiple stands so every year after the season these stands ore sold at almost 50% off on close out we get 2 more and just cut off the seat. 10 stands set out this year but only 1 seat 1 ladder. works great and helps to save money for a good quality climber.Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cujrh10 yea she wants to start young when I started looking a bows I got a bunch of catalogs from local pro shop she looked at them and said I wana do that so she shoots now but she wants to do anything archery hunt fish and competitons she loves it

Wolf thanks for the advise its not really that I got a big butt its more that I am 6 2 and weight about 275 so I would like the stands that support op to 300 but I am gonna look into your idea thanks

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
PSEloyal said:
cujrh10 yea she wants to start young when I started looking a bows I got a bunch of catalogs from local pro shop she looked at them and said I wana do that so she shoots now but she wants to do anything archery hunt fish and competitons she loves it

Wolf thanks for the advise its not really that I got a big butt its more that I am 6 2 and weight about 275 so I would like the stands that support op to 300 but I am gonna look into your idea thanks

I actually went to menards yesterday and picked up one of those stealth lock ons. Its pretty sweet. the weight capacity is also 300 lbs. It has the back rest, the arm rests and a very comfy seat. The platform is pretty big but it doesnt have a foot rest (elevated). I may see if i can get somethin welded on. It was on page 3 of that menard flyer i posted.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea I did look at it. It looked alot like the ones I was considering but just a little cheaper

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think its fine to go with a cheaper stand, but dont skimp on a harness.
You are a big guy so make sure your harness fits you properly! You never know, one day it will save your life.

Tree stand falls are becoming the number one killer for hunters!
I learned that at an IBEP course over the weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts