Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
Both

I hunt form a treestand 90% of the time and from the ground the other 10%. Depends on the situation. Getting a shot form the ground is a rush
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Tree Stand

A couple of years ago I was scouting and found a path that a nice buck was using, I saw him leave the meadow through there several times. I had permission to hunt there, but only had a hang on and since I wasn't the only one hunting it didn't want to leave it there. So, begining of the season I decided that I would get on the ground in the brush line about 10 yards from the path. That morning I was set up and looking around when I turned my head I saw a doe and small buck in the meadow looking right at me. Needless to say they were gone faster than I could draw my bow. A few moments later I saw that big buck follow them back across the meadow. I sat there again but never saw a deer use that path the rest of the season. So, from that point on I am either on a rock above general ground level or in my climber.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
When bowhunting almost 100% is from a tree. I don't own a ground blind--don't have the money--but if I did the ground hunting would increase substantially.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
A few years ago, I started getting lazy during gun season and started carrying into the woods my Summit Cobra XLS, seat only. Many times I would bring with me some cammo netting that I can stake around in front of me to help conceal. I have had great success with this during gun season, but this will be the first year that I attempt this with a bow (just getting back into bowhunting.) I have found that I can see further distance in thick cover while on the ground. It's also easier to relocate if the wind changes.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I used to hunt from tree stands, but never really felt comfortable up in a tree since I weight close to 300 lbs.

I recently purchased a ground blind and will probably never climb another tree unless I absolutely have two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts
Treestand all the way...they never know what him em :wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,353 Posts
Mickermic said:
I hunt form a treestand 90% of the time and from the ground the other 10%. Depends on the situation.


My thoughts exactly. I have a few sweet spots where there's either trees that can't hold a stand, or there's no trees at all, but conveniently both places have a HUGE dead oak tree laying down that make great natural blinds, along with a few other natural features that make great blinds as well :wink:

I hit a BIG buck too low 2 years ago and never found him (he lived thankfully). This encounter came with me hidden in one of the natural blinds and to this day that buck still has no clue what bit him, or how close he was to hanging on my wall :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
I have in the past few years spent more time on the ground set up just like turkey hunting sitting at the base of a large tree. I have had deer with in feet of me and not know I am there. The nice thing about ground hunting is one you do not have to pack in a stand so you can travel back into these far away areas pretty easily. Second you can pretty much get in and out of a area rather quietly. And third if a nice buck is spotted out of range and you know the terrian you can quietly get up and shift gears for another setup closer at him. And fourth when I find a good spot I do not have to spent too time looking for a good tree for a stand and allows me to hunt areas where you can not use a stand due to the trees being to small. The reason is what really produces big bucks up close. Because big bucks prefer second growth thickets over mature forest any day. Plus the ground trick works real nice when hunting in the middle of CRP fields. Deer get accustom that the middle of these large fields are safe and void of hunters, so they are not expecting to run into a hunter in these areas.

Key I have found when hunting off the ground is you want to be the lowest profile you can be, so forget about the lawn chairs. I have low profile chairs and a Wedge Cushion Seat.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
171 Posts
Mickermic said:
I hunt form a treestand 90% of the time and from the ground the other 10%. Depends on the situation. Getting a shot form the ground is a rush
im pretty much about the same. I hunt from a tree unless i take my son with me, then we hunt from the blind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
The only thing I don't like about enclosed blinds is the detatched feeling I have from the surroundings. I would much prefer a blind with as much viewing area as possible. Certainly some of the ones on the market offer this more than others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Nothing wrong with ground hunting , I have a friend here in Florida that does that a lot`s , he has killed many deer doing this .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
i hunt mostly from a tree but while i'm duck,goose,pheasant or quail hunting i prefer to be on the ground :wink: :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,858 Posts
I prefer hunting in a treestand. I like to be able to see a good distance all around me. That's kept me from really trying hunting on the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,328 Posts
I would much rather prefer to find a elevated perch however, I won't think twice about setting up a Double Bull blind IF I have to. There are many areas that I've hunted where it was more grass and brush than tree cover forcing a bowhunter to be adaptable of go home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Tree or ground.

Always liked the tree stands, but now hunt exclusively on the ground. I have physical limitrations because of age and surguries and have poor balance. Heights really bother me.
Would use tree stands ifr I could .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,854 Posts
Treestand for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,018 Posts
Tree stand for me. Early season I generally stay at 10-12 feet, where I blend in with the sappling canopy. Later, after the leaves are down I go up to 20-25 feet for stealth. I've bow hunted from the ground, but never had any success with it, or even potential success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,480 Posts
There are situations where one cannot get up in a tree. I would say both options have there place. For me however I want to be in a tree stand if at all possible. I can honestly say there are more advantages to being elevated thats for sure(my opinion only). To each their own-some prefer ground blinds--not me-I want in an elevated stand if at all possible.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top