Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I climbed in my tree stand at 15 feet to practice shooting at 10 and 20 yards. I shot 8 arrows and 6 were total misses and into the ground under the belly. They were all on line but about 6-8 inchs low. I was bending at the waist and thought I used to shoot high from the tree with the old bow. The Ultra-tec was shooting fine from the ground. Any suggestions????:confused:

·
Registered
839 Posts
I practice from a elevation anyways so you might sight your bow in from your stand.Just my .02

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I tried shooting mechanicals from a stand about 20 feet up. I shoot fine out to 25yds and 38 yds with target points, but 3-4 inches high at 25 yds with mechanicals. It does not matter to me what the issue is, but the knowledge is great! I may raise my sight or just hold a little low. Most of the deer I've shot with a bow have been < 25 yards, so I might just adjust the sight. I had 6 pass thrus last year and they were all hitting a bit higher than I thought they should have.

I haven't used fixed broad heads in years so I can't offer any experience with them.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I would say to keep practicing at treestand height. You said that you are bending at the waist but make sure that you still arent dropping your arm. Keep that 90 degree form as if you were on the ground. Are you sure of the distance that you sighted in from on the ground compared to the distance you are shooting from the tree?

·
The Impartial Archer
18,313 Posts
Normally what I see is the opposite? :confused: I usually see a high impact at short distances from a tree stand because the arch of your arrow is at its highest point at ten yards (depending on arrow speed this could be 1" to several inches) and two because people tend to lower the bow arm rather than bend at the waist. I'm not a good instructor I kinda' do things by feel but its seems totally backwards to be hitting low from an elevated position. Maybe others will chime in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts