Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
I tried a saddle just not for me!
1. I couldn't stay still
2. I have old knees and after an hour all I could think about was how bad they hurt
3. I can't see dressing very warm in a saddle I like my heater body suit when it gets below freezing.
Not bashing them because I have buddies that like them. Just my experience...I'll stick to my lone wolf and sticks!

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Saddle.

Safer by a long shot, and if you find the right saddle that fits properly. You’ll be plenty comfortable.

Most often i use a one-stick climbing method and rappel down after the hunt. Other times I use a single rope technique (SRT).

The saddle is safer because you’re always under tension and don’t have to worry about falling out of your treestand or seat. It gives you the ability to be mobile when the winds don’t cooperate, and it’s exponentially lighter than a treestand.

Most will agree that a two panel saddle is more comfortable.

Like anything new, it will take time to become quiet, quick and efficient.

It’s the only way I hunt now.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Cato
4,157 Posts
Saddle advantages. Can shoot almost 360 degrees around tree. Lighter and easier to take in. Makes less noise to climb. Much much greater selection of trees to use and cover to utilize

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I have a climber, many hang ons and a saddle. I use the climber for long rifle sits. Mostly use pre set hang-ons. Saddle gets used to check out new properties and public where I only intend to hunt one time or not often. They all have there places and situations dictate which is best.

·
Registered
Archery, Beretta 12ga
107 Posts
Wouldn't go as far say that they are safer than climbers, lock-on or ladders stands...don't be fooled into thinking it is. It's all matter of personal perspective. It is however versatile and lightweight. And yes I HAD on before...thus my pov. The rope could fray, nicked( unnoticed). And then you have to get stable platform for standing. I don't like idea of facing tree or have to look around it to make shots. My Lone Wolf has versatility of comfort and better field of view.... with this said...'everyone has one'

·
Registered
28,556 Posts
If you want to try a saddle, I would suggest finding a bowhunter in your area who can "show you the ropes".....literally and try it out. Like testing various bows on recommendations, the opinions of others may very well not fit your own experiences and expectations. I have a Cougar Claw climber and a few really good fixed stands as mobile setups that I am quite safe and comfortable using. If someone else prefers a saddle......good for them.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Wouldn't go as far say that they are safer than climbers, lock-on or ladders stands...don't be fooled into thinking it is. It's all matter of personal perspective. It is however versatile and lightweight. And yes I HAD on before...thus my pov. The rope could fray, nicked( unnoticed). And then you have to get stable platform for standing. I don't like idea of facing tree or have to look around it to make shots. My Lone Wolf has versatility of comfort and better field of view.... with this said...'everyone has one'
You basically pointed out my issues with a saddle. In a stand my harness and stand have to fail before I hit the ground. I understand that it's climbing rated rope and whatever but if you use a harness with a hang on/climber I don't think you are any more unsafe than in a saddle. There's also suspension trauma or self rescue that everyone brings up. You can use a rock climbing harness in a stand or get a Treestand Wingman. Or carry some webbing or something on your harness to take pressure off.

I also don't like staring at a tree all day. If you're carrying a 3-4lb platform you might as well get a LWCG stand or one of the other newer 5-6lb hang ons. If you have a rock climbing harness you can buy a Sit Drag and make a DIY saddle to try. A lot of people used those before saddle hunting became more mainstream. Nothing wrong with using a climber or a hang on and sticks. I think people need to stop being so obsessed with gear and shoot their bow or scout. Also exercise so carrying like 20lbs on their back isn't an issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I haven’t used a hang on that I can get comfortable in. Not saying there isn’t one, but I haven’t used it. A saddle with good back and leg support is much more comfortable to me than a hang on. I also find I move less on a saddle. As soon as I get uncomfortable, I’m moving to find a new position. With the saddle, I find I move once from leaning to sitting and start the clock over where in a hang on I’m shifting constantly once I’m uncomfortable.

But I don’t think a single setup is always ideal and I don’t think my preference is going to be everyone’s. Do what makes sense to you. If you are happy with what you have stick with it. I’d only be looking to change if I had a problem that a new system solved.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Easton carbon arrows, Iron Will broad heads
8,374 Posts
Never tried a saddle. I hunt private land and am able to put up lock on stands ahead of hunt. So no climber noise when I ascend to my stand. They’re quiet, solid and work great for me.

·
Registered
28,556 Posts
Never tried a saddle. I hunt private land and am able to put up lock on stands ahead of hunt. So no climber noise when I ascend to my stand. They’re quiet, solid and work great for me.
I hunted this same manner for many years and like it the most. Pre-set stands and then sneak in to hunt with minimal moise and effort. However access changes and most of my local spots require setup and take down the same day. So either a climber or mobile fixed stand is my favored approaches.......unless I just stay on the ground. Honestly that isn't a bad way to hunt, but it adds some complications being at eye leve.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
You basically pointed out my issues with a saddle. In a stand my harness and stand have to fail before I hit the ground. I understand that it's climbing rated rope and whatever but if you use a harness with a hang on/climber I don't think you are any more unsafe than in a saddle. There's also suspension trauma or self rescue that everyone brings up. You can use a rock climbing harness in a stand or get a Treestand Wingman. Or carry some webbing or something on your harness to take pressure off.

I also don't like staring at a tree all day. If you're carrying a 3-4lb platform you might as well get a LWCG stand or one of the other newer 5-6lb hang ons. If you have a rock climbing harness you can buy a Sit Drag and make a DIY saddle to try. A lot of people used those before saddle hunting became more mainstream. Nothing wrong with using a climber or a hang on and sticks. I think people need to stop being so obsessed with gear and shoot their bow or scout. Also exercise so carrying like 20lbs on their back isn't an issue.
I agree with this. I’m moving back to my climbers this year. If I need to get into an area where I can’t use them I will use my JX3 Hybrid. That is only about 3% of the time. I look when people post YouTube videos and most of the time I see a tree I could use with a climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Impartial Archer
23,081 Posts
I have only helped people with saddles and watched them........that's all I need to see to keep from using them. If I had an issue I was trying to resolve I could see taking the time & effort to look into them but since I'm comfortable and very happy with the system I have developed over 40+ years I'm not looking into a new system just because others haven't honed theirs.

If you aren't happy I'd try it and then you'll know.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
saddle is way more comfortable and stealthy for me (hide behind tree, bow hangs to the left right in front of you)

the only downside for me is that deer can sneak up behind you and the tree is not blocking their view of you....so you have a situation where the deer can see you but you can't see it

the thing with the saddle is that you have to find one that fits you and then get it adjusted, so it takes time

also, the biggest names in the saddle game do not make the best and most comfortable saddles

so, if you google it, buy from the biggest names, and then try it and don't like...it doesn't mean that another saddle wouldn't be great for you (especially if you had some help).....tree stands are more straightforward and one size fits all

·
Vendor
1,815 Posts
I think they all have their advantages /disadvantages .. I just cant see for myself how a saddle can be comfortable for all day sits & i cant get past having to wear knee pads part

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
With a saddle you can face the opposite direction from a climber or hang on. In the hill country here most trees lean downhill so hang ons need to face up hill for the majority of the trees. Saddles add flexibility and can be placed in trees where climbers of hang ons wont work. I prefer my hang on for comfort but take the saddle the majority of the time especially in new areas. Where I hunt there are few trees where a climber will work.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I hunted this same manner for many years and like it the most. Pre-set stands and then sneak in to hunt with minimal moise and effort. However access changes and most of my local spots require setup and take down the same day. So either a climber or mobile fixed stand is my favored approaches.......unless I just stay on the ground. Honestly that isn't a bad way to hunt, but it adds some complications being at eye leve.
I bought a millennium tree seat and use it in cedars ... I cut out a couple branches ...I've had deer at 3 yards before flipping themselves insideout...so much fun at eye level! One of my favorite ways to hunt.

·
Bloody Arrow = Happiness!
5,588 Posts
I had a slow evolution from climber to hangon to ultralite hangon now to saddle. The saddle is great for public remote spots when you are hunting 3-4 hours at a time. If I am hunting somewhere no farther than 1 from the truck I will take my M7 hangon. My private spots I have hangons that I setup and leave all season. The saddle is not comfortable for all day sits.

Reactions: Ybuck
1 - 20 of 32 Posts