Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some tips for using tree stand looking down on a feeder.also when and where to use them?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
your better off

Your better off to set up on a trail close but not to close to the feeder... and catch them coming in to it...

·
Registered
307 Posts
If your going to hunt over a bait here are some suggestions.

1. Pick the nastiest thickest tree around to get up in. Make sure it has plenty of background cover. Cut yourself an opening to sit in. Make sure your sitting in the shade. I perfer pine trees for these set ups. When hunting baits you will likely have multiple eyes around you and concelling movement is a must.

2. Locate your bait around 20 yards away. Be aware that before deer or bear approach a bait they will usually circule the bait, so always be ready for action from any direction.

3. I will usually locate the bait behind a group of stumps, logs, or windfall of some sort. This will give you some cover to draw your bow and provide the deer/bear with more security while feeding. I will usually pick an area with a lot of balsm trees with a small opening for the baited area.

4. Spread the bait over a larger area rather than in a pile. This will make the deer, or bear turn giving you a shot.

5. Always be scent concious in the area even when putting the bait in. Rubber gloves, boots, and clothes not exposed to human scent are a must.

6. Don't bait the stand everyday. Everytime you go into bait you leave scent. Bait the stand once, or twice a week for a couple weeks before hunting. When you are going to hunt it take your bait in with you to freshen up the area in a plastic bag that can be tucked underneath a log, or something while hunting.

7. Go to bait your stand during the middle of the day when deer are less likely to be using the bait.

Hope these tips help ya. Baits work great for heard management, but you will seldom have a dominate buck actually comming into a bait to feed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why seldom have a dominat buck? i was gonna use a feeder because i cant go out there very much, and then just put a tree stand up about a week before and then come out one day and take one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts