Archery Talk Forum banner

Trees are dangerous!

2112 Views 20 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  jigga
This morning's bow hunt started like all others, I awoke at 2 am and was hiking in before 4 am. Crossing the creek was uneventful unlike last time when I swamped my waders, so far so good. I even was able to find my tree right away without wandering around in the dark for an extra half hour. The trouble started after climbing up the tree. A branch was blocking one of my shooting lanes so I decided to cut it down with my saw. I quickly determined that the branch was dead and dried out and all the sawing was going to make too much racket so I decided to just reach out and give it a yank to break it off. The first yank I heard a loud pop, figuring the next yank would do the trick I pulled again, harder, and sent a tree the diameter of a telephone pole crashing into my stand tree. Luckily I had set my stand at enough of an angle so I could duck behind my tree and avoid being crushed by this falling tree. Unfortunately the falling tree was forked and as the branches crashed down on either side of my stand tree it tangled my pull rope so I couldn't pull my bow up. Even worse the falling tree didn't fall all the way to the ground, but was wedged up tight against my tree and the branches where blocking the descent of my climbing tree stand below me. After much maneuvering and breaking of branches I was able to descend half way and untangle my pull rope, thus was able to hunt until 10:00. Not surprisingly I didn't see any deer, but I did make it home alive. Had I not been able to descend I would have had to call my wife to bring me a saw, and cut down the rest of the tree. Good thing it didn't come to that, because I would have had to direct her in via cell phone instructions, (almost a mile) and she would have had to borrow my too big, leaky waders to ford the creek, she would still probably be wandering around the public hunting area!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
25,353 Posts
glad your ok. so you got attacked by a tree??? just out of know where it droppe on ya? crazy

· Registered Elker
7,987 Posts
I was tree trimmer for years. Saying trees are dangerous is understatemant. Especially dead ones. Glad to see you are ok.

I remember sitting in a blind a few years back as high winds came in. Ended up being 35 mph sustained with gusts to 55-60. At one point I said 'screw this' and heard a full large tree crash while packing up. Rather hairy.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Wow....I thought I've had some bad days in the woods but nothing of that sort...glad your ok and your wife didn't have to get lost to help you.

· Embrace the suck!
7,994 Posts
This morning's bow hunt started like all others, I awoke at 2 am and was hiking in before 4 am. Crossing the creek was uneventful unlike last time when I swamped my waders, so far so good. I even was able to find my tree right away without wandering around in the dark for an extra half hour. The trouble started after climbing up the tree. A branch was blocking one of my shooting lanes so I decided to cut it down with my saw. I quickly determined that the branch was dead and dried out and all the sawing was going to make too much racket so I decided to just reach out and give it a yank to break it off. The first yank I heard a loud pop, figuring the next yank would do the trick I pulled again, harder, and sent a tree the diameter of a telephone pole crashing into my stand tree. Luckily I had set my stand at enough of an angle so I could duck behind my tree and avoid being crushed by this falling tree. Unfortunately the falling tree was forked and as the branches crashed down on either side of my stand tree it tangled my pull rope so I couldn't pull my bow up. Even worse the falling tree didn't fall all the way to the ground, but was wedged up tight against my tree and the branches where blocking the descent of my climbing tree stand below me. After much maneuvering and breaking of branches I was able to descend half way and untangle my pull rope, thus was able to hunt until 10:00. Not surprisingly I didn't see any deer, but I did make it home alive. Had I not been able to descend I would have had to call my wife to bring me a saw, and cut down the rest of the tree. Good thing it didn't come to that, because I would have had to direct her in via cell phone instructions, (almost a mile) and she would have had to borrow my too big, leaky waders to ford the creek, she would still probably be wandering around the public hunting area!
Yea and she would be super pissed. I'm glad you're OK. That sounds like a freak occurrence.

· Registered
659 Posts
Sounds like you got lucky on that one. One of the things I look for when climbing a new stand is standing deadfall surrounding my tree. A buddy of mine had a huge Oak get uprooted and land 20 feet from his tree last year. Had it hit him he was a goner.

· Registered
7,239 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Before climbing a tree, I look around the tree i'm using. If there are any dead trees within 40 yards, I change trees. You can never be too safe when out in the woods.

· Back down to ground level
18,552 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Before climbing a tree, I look around the tree i'm using. If there are any dead trees within 40 yards, I change trees. You can never be too safe when out in the woods.
:thumbs_up
Ditto, I've seen 3 come down within 80yds since I started hunting. When they are ready to fall, they will fall, without any help.

· Registered
3,807 Posts
Was fishing a bass tourney in flooded timber when another fisherman bumped a dead tree and it fell on his boat! He was not hurt, but had to change his shorts!

· Registered
550 Posts
Wow story could make a "this happened to me" segment out of Field and Stream.....I could only imagine how they would draw the cartoon hunters crawling around the tree to get down out of the stand.

That sounds like something that would only happen to me...we must be related.

· Registered
25,353 Posts
Who get's up at 2am to hunt?

Glad your ok.
i cant sleep and im usually up at around 3am during hunting season. i keep having dreams of killing a big buck or waking up to late and i force myself awake, over and over and over haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.