Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good portable treestand that's recurve / longbow friendly? I've been on the ground for the last couple years, (last time I was in a tree was with a compound) and am thinking that next fall I want to do a mix of ground and tree hunting based on what the situation offers.

Are tree-saddles a good mix with trad bows, or is going with an open front (IE no rail) climber the better bet?

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
your best option would be a loc on I would think. I dont use em much anymore cause they take so long to put up and are so noisy. I use a Goliath right now but compound only. I'm gonna prolly get a openshot Summit for next year IF I get accurate enough to hunt with the trad bow. I have never used a tree seat so I dont know how it would work but I doubt it would hold me up. LOL good luck bud.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I think a climber with no rails, a ladder stand with no rails or a lock on would all work fine. Never tried the treesaddle but I don't see why it wouldn't work as well, certainly not much to get in the way other than the tree.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think some lawsuits stopped the manufacture of some really good bow hunting stands. They had very large plywood bottoms and a simple turn-a-round climber seat. I forget the name although the Baker tree stand was the first of the type I am talking about. Mine was stolen out of my pickup bed a few years ago. There is no replacement for it other than to build one.

I have a modern one, of the type you can't fall out or shoot from, nothing gets hurt with this stand, hunters or game.

·
Registered
877 Posts
There ya go, find an old Baker! Those things are a death trap. I have one if you want it! Seriously, my Loggy Bayou climber is open all around and doesn't create any problems. Same with my hang on stands. My ladder stand is a different story. It'll work with a straight away shot, but turn at all and you hit the side rail between the seat and the platform.
Steve

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
There ya go, find an old Baker! Those things are a death trap. I have one if you want it! Seriously, my Loggy Bayou climber is open all around and doesn't create any problems. Same with my hang on stands. My ladder stand is a different story. It'll work with a straight away shot, but turn at all and you hit the side rail between the seat and the platform.
Steve
Just to make sure everyone knows I do not reccomend one of these older baker type stands.

I never had a problem, never took a ride down a tree but I know others that did. The company did not make a dangerous product, what they misjudged was people. The instructions were very clear. You can't sit level in one of these older stands. But people pushed the edge, and found it. The company went under.

Now: Back to your originally scheduled thread.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Eldermike, I'm not sure my Loggy is any safer than an old Baker. I've taken a trip down the tree with it and now know why they say not to use it on wet trees. It's still my favorite stand to use.
Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would recommend a good lock on style stand and a set of sticks. Easy to setup & many good options out there or a ladder with no rails. I don't like to be too high with a stickbow in a tree, 12- 14' maximum. Just enough for a slight downward angle kill shot makes a nice bloodtrail for you usually. I am going to buy a new Summit Raptor style stand for next year & a set of 3 portable stix from Lone Wolf or Muddy. Good luck out there & always wear a safety harness !!! John

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Eldermike, I'm not sure my Loggy is any safer than an old Baker. I've taken a trip down the tree with it and now know why they say not to use it on wet trees. It's still my favorite stand to use.
Steve
I found all those type stands to be safe if you put enough angle in at the bottom of the climb. The problem is the taper of the tree. Once the tree diameter is reduced enough the angles will no longer hold you on the tree.
I have been on trees where I judged the 20 foot diameter and then setup the stand where it was almost impossible to start the climb, but once up the tree it was on correct angle. You can't let those stands end up level, there is no bite. Do you still have the original instructions for your stand?

I did some google work and came up with nothing on these older stands. It seems like they have been removed from history.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I doubt if I have the instructions. I've had this stand forever. I know what you mean about angling it right. Makes it a little tough to get started at times.
Steve

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I really like this climber I got from Cabelas:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It's light, open, inexpensive compared to most climbers, sturdy and quiet. The only thing I don't like about it is the arm rests get cold in winter, but some insulation can solve that problem quickly. I mostly hunt public land so I love the portability a climber offers.

That would be a good one, it's like the older ones and has an open front on the seat. If anyone is intrested I would like to have one of those for Christmas.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I really like this climber I got from Cabelas:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

It's light, open, inexpensive compared to most climbers, sturdy and quiet. The only thing I don't like about it is the arm rests get cold in winter, but some insulation can solve that problem quickly. I mostly hunt public land so I love the portability a climber offers.
thats the Summit Openshot I think. I dont know if they copied Summits stand or Summit makes em for Cabelas. Dont know but thats it.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys.

I kinda like the idea of a lock on and sticks, seems that with those you pick a spot as opposed to picking a tree that the climber can go on.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Summit Viper for me...love the way it works for me!!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
your best option would be a loc on I would think. I dont use em much anymore cause they take so long to put up and are so noisy. I use a Goliath right now but compound only. I'm gonna prolly get a openshot Summit for next year IF I get accurate enough to hunt with the trad bow. I have never used a tree seat so I dont know how it would work but I doubt it would hold me up. LOL good luck bud.
I second the open shot. I have had both the open shot and the open shot deluxe, and it is night and day difference in comfort. Get the deluxe. your butt will thank you! LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts