Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the latest API & Summit climbing treestands - what is the general feeling on the bar across the front? Do most of you use the bow hunter model without the sit down stand up climbing bar on the front or does it not really get in the way when bow hunting?

I shoot a Razortec (33" axle to axle).

I think I am fine with either style with a short bow, but want to ask around before ordering......

Thanks

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I got both of the Summits one with the bar and one without..also have the old model API shootin Star...They all get in the way for some shots. The Summit without the bar you can shoot straight out front with no worry...but like all the climbers save maybe the Lone Wolf you can't shoot to the side or behind like you can with a loc-on...not without concern for hitting the stand anyway.
I'm thinking seriously about getting a Alpha Lone Wolf hand climber just for this reason.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
tree stand

The bar gets in the way i have shot many deer with a bow and all were while sitting down in my tree stand the bar gets in the way. I just got a summit revolution its great and man is it comfy and its nice cus you can just use the top part of the stand as a seat while hunting on the ground.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a summit w/the bar. I have never had it affect my shots, even when shooting to the side or behind me. You just have to learn to adjust yourself when you are fixing to shoot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I posted this same question a few weeks ago. I'm new to bowhunting. Basically, I'm trying to decide between the Summit Cobra and the Viper XLS with the bar. A few guys say the bar does not get in the way; at least while taking a standing shot. A few have said it may interfere.

Some guys I met during a local range day have the Summit Viper. They say you can adjust the seat up higher on the top piece of the stand so that you have sufficient clearance for your bow.

I like the idea of the bar because you can climb and sit. And it would probably give a better sense of security when sitting/standing 20 feet up in a tree.

I'm hoping to try the stand at a local hunting show to see what sort of clearance it has, then make my decision. I'll probably end-up with the Viper. If I totally hate the bar, Summit just sells the Cobra Top. I'll just end-up having a gun stand and a bow stand :p

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
Your last paragraph summed up my situation last year. I bought the Viper and was going to buy the climbing piece without the rail. I never found the rail to be a issue so I never got the climbing piece. The folding Summits are the tick from what I have seen.

If you are going to the BassPro show swing by the Martin booth and say hello. I may have my stand so you can try it out on a real tree. DCM

·
Registered
13 Posts
The new folding stands do look a bit more convenient for backpacking. I'm just a little wary of hinges on a stand. I know they use teflon bushings, but moving parts have the potential to make noise, especially on one of those extra cold days in the woods. I guess we'll see what all the hunters say after using them this season.

I'll definitely be at the Bass Pro show. Hopefully, I'll see you there!

David

·
Registered
852 Posts
I used the API Grand Slam for a couple of seasons, and killed a few deer out of it... While it was very comfortable, and the rail was nice for some things, it did get in the way - I wrecked a cam on it taking a 5 yard shot on a 6 pointer, and forget about shooting while sitting with one - unless the deer is 40 yards out, or eye level with the tree(or you're ALOT taller than I)... I switched to a Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber 2 seasons ago, and REALLY like it - best climber I've used yet, and I've used a few... As for security, spend a few $$$ on a full body harness/climbing belt, like the Game Tracker, and you won't have to worry about it - best $40 I ever spent... I wouldn't depend on a rail to keep me from falling, THAT'S for sure...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Ol Man

sorry i know you are looking at the summits, but just check out the design of the ol man. since the seat is higher it is much easier i have found to shoot over the side bars. also i have the vision and use it in the foot rest postition for all hunting and you can easily shoot out front. plus the foot rest makes it might comfy!!;) this is the best stands i have found for packing, they fold down flat, so you can put a back pack, etc on it as well. sorry for butting in!! easton94

·
Registered
20 Posts
My vote is for the Tree Lounge Bow Hunter Special. I hunt with a group of 6 people and we have 10 stands and 3 sets of wheels. We use these stands to haul everything into and out of the mountains. We have hauled 4 elk 1/4's at a time, this is more than a horse can carry. Most of the stands are the old square tube type which I like best.

·
Vendor
24,533 Posts
Looking at the latest API & Summit climbing treestands - what is the general feeling on the bar across the front? Do most of you use the bow hunter model without the sit down stand up climbing bar on the front or does it not really get in the way when bow hunting?

I shoot a Razortec (33" axle to axle).

I think I am fine with either style with a short bow, but want to ask around before ordering......

Thanks
The bar across the front makes climbing so much easier, but that is not the only reason I like the bar. If you secure the top of the stand to the bottom of the platform with Stabilizer straps, you can use the sides and bar to lean on. This gives the bowhunter the ability to securely shoot a bow 360 degrees. ;)

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I got both of the Summits one with the bar and one without..also have the old model API shootin Star...They all get in the way for some shots. The Summit without the bar you can shoot straight out front with no worry...but like all the climbers save maybe the Lone Wolf you can't shoot to the side or behind like you can with a loc-on...not without concern for hitting the stand anyway.
I'm thinking seriously about getting a Alpha Lone Wolf hand climber just for this reason.
I’ve used them for over 25 years and never had a problem, but with a hang on or LW Flip Top, or an Equalizer with the bench seat it’s a non issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts