Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Ol man stands in the past and want to know if any treewalker owners have used an Ol Man and how do they compare? I am ready to buy either a Grand Ol man Pro or a Treewalker.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
own neither and have a lone wolf. From what I hear treewalker,i hope so cause i'm ordering the xlt shortly!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Treewalker. Platform is nicer, especially with the foot rest. The cable's align themselves, and it won't pinch you in on a small tree.

It doesn't fold flat but it's pretty light anyway. The ol' man alum. stands that folds up might have an edge for very long hikes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What makes the platform nicer?They both have mesh construction.Is the 35 '' platform length on the TReewalker to the end of the footrest or is that the actual platform length.The only problem I had with the steel OLMan stands was the mesh welds breaking on the platform.

·
Mad Arrow Slinger
10,657 Posts
Treewalkers are excelent standsI would definitely recommend them!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
What makes the platform nicer?They both have mesh construction.Is the 35 '' platform length on the TReewalker to the end of the footrest or is that the actual platform length.The only problem I had with the steel OLMan stands was the mesh welds breaking on the platform.
It's a big platform, and you can actually use it cause your foot will hit the foot rest (you don't have to worry about accidentally stepping over the edge).

Except when you're turned around backwards, then the heel of your boot could fit between them, which of course happens when a big buck is under you.

The measurement should be the length of the "meshed" section, not the total overall length, but I haven't measured it.

·
Hunt Fair Chase
2,596 Posts
I own both. I have an Ol' Man Vision and I have a Treewalker. The Ol' Man is more comfortable, provided it's on a large enough tree that the arms don't fold in on me.

Otherwise, the Treewalker wins in every other category. It's almost as comfortable, is lighter, packs flatter, packs without the need for straps, has no need for footstraps, is more stable on the tree and climbs better.

There's really no choice. The Treewalker is a better stand.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have had both stands and I will say that I like the Treewalker much better. Like mentioned, on a smaller tree the arms of the Ole man win pinch inwards on you. The arms moving like they do on the Ole man make it good for folding down to carry and store, but the that isn't quite that big of deal for me.

The Treewalker is much more stable on the tree to me as well and I like not having to use foot straps on the lower portion.

In short, the treewalker is an excellent stand and I believe you will be very happy with one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldnt climb in an ol' man. I think they have some quality issues coming from China. Heard about a guy falling out of one at Tara/Willow Point last weekend, rumor was the cable broke while climbing. Dude now has 2 shattered ankles and a broke heel.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
ol man:thumbs_up

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
I wouldnt climb in an ol' man. I think they have some quality issues coming from China. Heard about a guy falling out of one at Tara/Willow Point last weekend, rumor was the cable broke while climbing. Dude now has 2 shattered ankles and a broke heel.
Bet he also has a new never used safety harness.

I've got a Treewalker. My 15 yr old daughter can climb with it. Said it was more solid than a ladder stand. This was her first time in a climber.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wishbone,I'm looking for real world USER advice,I know the OLMan's are now made in china but so are Nikon optics.:)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Wishbone,I'm looking for real world USER advice,I know the OLMan's are now made in china but so are Nikon optics.:)
My life don't depend on Nikon optics either :wink:
The search tool is a wonderful thing you may just find numerous reviews on the Treewalker right here in the bowhunting section :eek:
I use a treewalker xlt ,what do you want hear ? There awesome stands.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I spend my hard earned money on something I can't actually try out for myself I wanted input from guys like MOC and MAGOO who as my post said own and have used both stands.I had USA made OL man's and the welds broke,so the China thing isn't what will help me determine which one to buy.It plays a part for sure but there are other considerations too.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Deaths

There have been two deaths here in Ole Man stands.One in Fl the other in Bama. They are made by CHICOMs, do you want your money going to them ?
TreeWalker is the only stand to buy now,the choice is which model.

CHICOM =Chinese Communists

·
Hunt Fair Chase
2,596 Posts
One other thing I forgot to add in my post that I like better about my Treewalker vs. my Ol' Man is the cable/pin system. They work pretty much the same, but the cables on the Treewalker are rigid (covered with a platic tube), and the end where you put the pin is yellow and squared off.

So, when you feed the cable in, it's always aligned correctly, due to it being squared off. It makes getting pin in, especially in low light condition, about 100% easier than my Ol' Man. Same process, but with the Ol' Man, sometimes the cable loop you put the pin through can't be seen easily, and it sometimes twists so it doesn't line up right to get the pin in.

This is never a problem with the Treewalker.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts