Archery Talk Forum banner

Trekking poles for backcounty hunting

1018 7
Hello,

What kind of trekking poles do you guys use for backpack hunting? Does the locking mechanism on the telescopic poles slip under pressure?

Thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is my vision of your question.

Shovel handle. Screw and a thick machine washer on the end. Enough to prevent damage to the wood. Thick enough to tie a knife to, if need be. Heavy enough to swing.

Decorate it. Fine sanded and linseed rubbed. Waxed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my vision of your question.

Shovel handle. Screw and a thick machine washer on the end. Enough to prevent damage to the wood. Thick enough to tie a knife to, if need be. Heavy enough to swing.

Decorate it. Fine sanded and linseed rubbed. Waxed.
To clarify, I meant do you use a 3 piece pole vs a telescopic pole. I have heard that the locking mechanism on telescopic poles slip under heavy load.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sissy Stix ... SISSY STIX - Backcountry PRO

Carbon fiber upper. Aluminum lower. Uses level locks. Have worked well for me under load of 60-70# packs.

I personally wouldn't use telescopic with the "screw" type locks. They cannot hold up. Slips to easy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use telescoping - I have several sets of them for backpacking trips I lead. Got them all on Amazon and they were cheap. I think they were called something goofy like “Freedom of Walking” they have been pretty much bulletproof and I have packed out some crazy heavy packs in rough country and they don’t slip at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.