Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They will serve as tarp poles when needed so they have to extend from 26" - 52" at least. I'm currently thinking of getting the leki thermolite aergon xl's. Anyone use these or have any other suggestions, would like to stay around $125 for a pair.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
I'm curious if Aron uses them on any of his elk hunts and what he has to say about their effectiveness. I have been thinking about getting a pair myself but my pops thinks I might be jeopardizing my man card by doing so. Lol.

Also, I pack a tent and have no use for them as poles for a shelter.

What say you ElkReaper? =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Prety sure I've seen a couple pics of him using them with heavy loads.... I belive one was in the KU review last year.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Prety sure I've seen a couple pics of him using them with heavy loads.... I belive one was in the KU review last year.
Was it an elk hunt or a goat hunt? I think I would get a pair regardless of the comments for a goat or sheep hunt due to the terrain and potential snow.

·
Is it September yet?
1,897 Posts
I use Black Diamond trekking poles. Mine were 159.99 got them on sale for 85 @ Campmor. I'll give you a little insight onto their effectiveness....

In idaho last year, I was the heaviest member of our group of 4. 6'4 285lbs without my 20lb pack on. One of my buddies who lives in Spokane, is an avid backpacker and is in great shape year round is very quick up the mountain. He's 5'9 175 lbs ish. We gave him the nickname billygoat because he would fly up the mountain without poles. I tried to stay with him without my poles the first day and almost died. I'm not in bad shape either. The next day I busted out my poles, and I was on his heels the whole way. The poles are an advantage because they allow you to take weight off your legs while climbing and transfer it to your upper body. I have a strong upper body so the effect was amplified. I bet you'll never see a 300+lb guy going up a mountain as fast as I could go up a mountain with poles. They literally turned me into a machine, no leg fatigue, climbing steep was easy and I didn't have to go hands and knees. Trekking poles also help you when you're packing out heavy loads. If I would've had an elk quarter in my pack, I would be 400lbs on the boot easy, and I feel like I could've gone all day. Try them out, once you get them figured out you'll fall in love. Shorten the poles for climbing, lengthen the poles for descending. Pretty simple and when you get in sync with them you'll feel beast mode coming out.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Was it an elk hunt or a goat hunt? I think I would get a pair regardless of the comments for a goat or sheep hunt due to the terrain and potential snow.

Moutain goat.

I cant see myself using them but I know a lot of folks that swear by them.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
I use Black Diamond trekking poles. Mine were 159.99 got them on sale for 85 @ Campmor. I'll give you a little insight onto their effectiveness....

In idaho last year, I was the heaviest member of our group of 4. 6'4 285lbs without my 20lb pack on. One of my buddies who lives in Spokane, is an avid backpacker and is in great shape year round is very quick up the mountain. He's 5'9 175 lbs ish. We gave him the nickname billygoat because he would fly up the mountain without poles. I tried to stay with him without my poles the first day and almost died. I'm not in bad shape either. The next day I busted out my poles, and I was on his heels the whole way. The poles are an advantage because they allow you to take weight off your legs while climbing and transfer it to your upper body. I have a strong upper body so the effect was amplified. I bet you'll never see a 300+lb guy going up a mountain as fast as I could go up a mountain with poles. They literally turned me into a machine, no leg fatigue, climbing steep was easy and I didn't have to go hands and knees. Trekking poles also help you when you're packing out heavy loads. If I would've had an elk quarter in my pack, I would be 400lbs on the boot easy, and I feel like I could've gone all day. Try them out, once you get them figured out you'll fall in love. Shorten the poles for climbing, lengthen the poles for descending. Pretty simple and when you get in sync with them you'll feel beast mode coming out.
Thanks for the "review." I think I'm going to get a pair and just give them a shot. I have nothing to lose but money anyways. =)

We generally pack out the elk in halves boned out and I'm only about 160-150 lbs. by that point in the hunt. So I could see them helping on the steep climb out of the basin with all that weight. We will see I guess. If not someone will be getting a free pair of overpriced poles. Lol.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i always bring one, if not for packing heavy loads. For using as a monopod for my binos'. Or for kicking around for snakes if im in that kind of area. But i almost always have one.

Although i could use 2 for my paratipi, ill choose to continue taking one and just use the back aluminum pole supplied with the paratipi, and one stick for the front. iv got a few different ones. One piece old scott ski poles, and i just got some leki poles that extend out to 57" for the front of the paratipi.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The Thermolite XL's and the Leki CorkLite AntiShocks work well, quite a few Black Diamond models that work well too.

If this is just a trial type thing the cheapest route would be to go to Wal Mart and pick up a pair for $25 to see if you like them. They use the same flick lock that Black Diamond uses.

For me the poles really come in handy going down hill with a heavy load, traversing through blowdowns/deadfall, and crossing streams/rivers.

·
Is it September yet?
1,897 Posts
DO not buy the wal mart type. one of my group came to Idaho last year without trekking poles. He then went to wal mart to grab a pair... they broke the first morning. The lock slips, and they bend easily. Get a good pair or you will be sorry. And he was only 190 lbs. Imagine my 270 lbs leaning on some wal mart poles!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just thought you guys would want to know steepandcheap.com has black diamond trekking poles up for $49 right now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As I'm getting older I can't keep my balance and strength for the length of time I would like, I am also going to purchase a set and have been researching differant brands, etc. You definately get what you pay for. Because I want them to be collapseable and light weight, I'm setting a budget around $180.00 a set. I want to continue to hunt for many more years and if a little weight helps saves potential injuries and fatigue I'm in.

·
Is it September yet?
1,897 Posts
180 will get you some of the best out there. I have black diamonds with shock absorbers in the handles, and they are collapsible and light. They are worth every penny.

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
When I hit the Pacific Crest trail in WA (the trail that runs down the Cascades starting in Canada all the way to Mexico) I see little dots in the trail dust and mud. I use the trail a lot to get to hunting areas deep in wilderness areas.. I often stop and talk to the guys/gals that are making the 2,650 mile mile trek (if they are doing the entire length) and many of them have the trekking poles with them, and, swear by them. I do get some funny looks while packing my bow but they are for the most part, pretty darn good folks and always willing to share their long trail stories. I usually share a snack bar or two with them as I'm just on a day hunt and their food is rationed... :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
another reason i usually only carry one... my bows always in my other hand. i guess 2 would be nice to have if i strapped my bow to my pack.

·
aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
180 will get you some of the best out there. I have black diamonds with shock absorbers in the handles, and they are collapsible and light. They are worth every penny.
Which ones?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
DO not buy the wal mart type. one of my group came to Idaho last year without trekking poles. He then went to wal mart to grab a pair... they broke the first morning. The lock slips, and they bend easily. Get a good pair or you will be sorry. And he was only 190 lbs. Imagine my 270 lbs leaning on some wal mart poles!
I can practically guarantee you that he got the twist lock poles. The flick locks use the exact same system as Black Diamond.....the poles themselves are much cheaper though.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can practically guarantee you that he got the twist lock poles. The flick locks use the exact same system as Black Diamond.....the poles themselves are much cheaper though.
So what is better twist lock or flick lock? The xl's have the twist lock.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The flick lock in my opinion is superior just because of its adjustability, but it also matters who makes the twist lock. I have never had any problems with the twist locks on my XL's. They are a very good pole, but you will need to clean them regularly after crossing streams/muddy areas to keep the twist lock from getting gritty and difficult to lock/unlock. Leki sells a cleaning kit for this.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts