Archery Talk Forum banner
4341 - 4360 of 4361 Posts

· Registered
1,304 Posts
Idaho used to "force" allowing retrieval of game if it went on private. Hunters were required to call the landowner and ask first. If the owner didn't answer or said no, hunters could then call the F&G and they would come out and accompany them onto the private to retrieve their animal anyway. Any land owner that had actually denied entry to retrieve a legally shot animal, as long as the animal wasn't initially shot on their land and had actually ran onto it after being shot, would get a citation for "waste of a game animal". Of course, property owners weren't going to say no in most cases when faced with that outcome. Middle of the season and you have a great buck living on your property and don't want someone else tromping all over and possibly blowing him out? Tough luck.

They recently updated their Trespassing laws though. Besides updating what is to be assumed as private (fenced or cultivated, if not fenced you have to post it if you want people to stay out) the game retrieval is non-existent now. If they call and you say no, they have to just walk away. Definitely fairer to owners this way.
In most cases I'm going to say yes to being asked for retrieval permission anyway.

· woodsman78
3,500 Posts
In some states in New England like Maine, private land is open to public hunting unless its posted. It's the most bass ackwards thing I've ever heard of.
So if you don't want just anyone stomping around your grounds you better post the crap out of it!!!

Reactions: Detroit-1

· Bow Hunter
2,077 Posts
Idaho used to "force" allowing retrieval of game if it went on private. Hunters were required to call the landowner and ask first. If the owner didn't answer or said no, hunters could then call the F&G and they would come out and accompany them onto the private to retrieve their animal anyway. Any land owner that had actually denied entry to retrieve a legally shot animal, as long as the animal wasn't initially shot on their land and had actually ran onto it after being shot, would get a citation for "waste of a game animal". Of course, property owners weren't going to say no in most cases when faced with that outcome. Middle of the season and you have a great buck living on your property and don't want someone else tromping all over and possibly blowing him out? Tough luck.

They recently updated their Trespassing laws though. Besides updating what is to be assumed as private (fenced or cultivated, if not fenced you have to post it if you want people to stay out) the game retrieval is non-existent now. If they call and you say no, they have to just walk away. Definitely fairer to owners this way.
In most cases I'm going to say yes to being asked for retrieval permission anyway.
Maryland is like this...and does NOT have to be posted.
I have issue with one neighbor of a small property and it seems once the leaves fall he can see my truck in the driveway, then here he comes.
Last year ? he came down on his 4 wheeler, doing laps around his property, waved to me, doing all sorts of stuff to ruin my fair hunt.
I got so ticked I was shaking, and went around to his house to give him an ear full, and boy did I... after he came out from hiding behind his wife car.
We parted ways, no cops.
BUT, now I park down the driveway where he can't see my truck.
LOTS of signs went up by him.

A buddy was hunting my stand when the wife came down with her little lap dog and asked if he would remove a dead deer (road kill) since it would draw coyotes that she was afaid would go after her dog.... got a big NOPE.

I shot a Buck that ran onto his property about a month later, sucked it up and went knocking on his door...it's dark now. He had a few words to say before he grabbed a flashlight to look, kicking up all kinds of leaves, so I lost the trail (on purpose ? IDK)

Now I only hunt that property (a real honey hole) before the leaves start falling :(

• Sad
Reactions: SilentElk

· Registered
1,859 Posts
Unfortunately one to add for me but due to cell cam technology I was able to figure out who it was and have a talk with him quickly. He seemed pretty surprised that I showed up at his cabin within an hour of when his picture was taken. He actually owns some property 2 pieces over.

His story didn't really add up as he claims he never crossed a fence to get where he was and thought he was still on the public but my land has 2 strand barb wire fence on all 4 sides and he at least 80 yards across the fence. To me it seemed like he knew he was trespassing but he thought he was on the neighbors land. Either way I hope after our discussion this doesn't happen again.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
50,419 Posts
Unfortunately one to add for me but due to cell cam technology I was able to figure out who it was and have a talk with him quickly. He seemed pretty surprised that I showed up at his cabin within an hour of when his picture was taken. He actually owns some property 2 pieces over.

His story didn't really add up as he claims he never crossed a fence to get where he was and thought he was still on the public but my land has 2 strand barb wire fence on all 4 sides and he at least 80 yards across the fence. To me it seemed like he knew he was trespassing but he thought he was on the neighbors land. Either way I hope after our discussion this doesn't happen again.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
He knew. I've never caught a trespasser that didnt claim that he didnt know, because fences, locked gates and signs apparently are not indicators of property lines or ownership...

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,151 Posts

Looks light they have a gps on a dog. Quite a was into our property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Beer Whisperer
12,132 Posts
Amish guy form this afternoon. Won't be too hard finding this guy.
An Amish guy trespassing. Whooda thunk?

Even more surprising….it was only one.

· Registered
Pse drive r , TR react h4, TR WB, stinger stabilizer
28 Posts
I’m lucky as all my land is on accessible via my drive way. Our neighbors land boarders around ours and they bought it cro our family so no issues there. Would go nuts if had to watch for trespassers like you guys. Sorry you all have to deal with that crap.

4341 - 4360 of 4361 Posts