Archery Talk Forum banner

TRG 7 & Why are you shooting smallest brace for 20 yard spots?

8343 Views 32 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  mitchell
If most people are using their Mathews TRG's for pounding spots at 20 yards, why are 99% of the TRG's talked about on here TRG 7's?

If the 8" and 9" brace offer more forgiveness, why wouldn't everyone go with the more forgiving option? Are people thinking their bow will be more versatile for 20 yard spots AND 3D by going with the slightly faster TRG7? Or are people finding that the extra inch or two of brace height really doesn't improve their accuracy?
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
5,613 Posts
Its probably the hold of those bows that appeals not the brace height. I talked to a guy at a 3d shoot a while back and he preferred the 7 over the others purely based on the feel of the bow and how well he shot it. He also shot it for 3 and 5 spot.

· Registered
3,099 Posts
I shoot a bow with 8.2" ( OK ) brace and I also shoot a bow with 6.75" ( Prime ) brace at the 20 yard range. I shoot both bows just about as well at 20 yards. The 8.2" brace bow out shoots the 6.75" brace at 55 yards ( 50m ). The longer the range the better the 8.2" brace works for me.

· Premium Member
5,860 Posts
I can see someone with a short DL wanting a little shorter brace for the string angle on a longer (40"+) ATA bow.
I personally believe the "forgiveness" of a longer brace height bow has very little to do with "lock time". Also it gives diminishing benefits as it gets longer (i.e 8 vs 9" isn't nearly as noticeable as 6 vs 7").
Some could be using them for 3-D as well, heck anything outdoors can benefit from a little speed.
Indoors, I don't think speed means anything.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
i can see someone with a short dl wanting a little shorter brace for the string angle on a longer (40"+) ata bow.
I personally believe the "forgiveness" of a longer brace height bow has very little to do with "lock time". Also it gives diminishing benefits as it gets longer (i.e 8 vs 9" isn't nearly as noticeable as 6 vs 7").
Some could be using them for 3-d as well, heck anything outdoors can benefit from a little speed.
Indoors, i don't think speed means anything.
agree!!!

· Registered
945 Posts
I can see someone with a short DL wanting a little shorter brace for the string angle on a longer (40"+) ATA bow.
Some could be using them for 3-D as well, heck anything outdoors can benefit from a little speed.
Indoors, I don't think speed means anything.

To add to this the shortest DL you can get on a TRG 8 is 27" and 28" on the TRG 9.

· Back Yard Champion
35,996 Posts
If most people are using their Mathews TRG's for pounding spots at 20 yards, why are 99% of the TRG's talked about on here TRG 7's?

If the 8" and 9" brace offer more forgiveness, why wouldn't everyone go with the more forgiving option? Are people thinking their bow will be more versatile for 20 yard spots AND 3D by going with the slightly faster TRG7? Or are people finding that the extra inch or two of brace height really doesn't improve their accuracy?
First up. Old sayings die slow. Okay, only a few years back 7" brace height was considered minimum for a forgiveness factor. Well, that pretty much depended on the archer... The Mathews Black Max and Hoyt Viper were in the 5 1/2" brace height range. People bought them and sold them shortly after. I shot the Black Max and loved it, but the owner wouldn't sell it. He was like me, that 5 1/2" brace height didn't bother him a bit.

I shot the Hoyt UltraTec with 6 3/8" brace height as well as any bow I ever shot. Like the Black Max I never used a arm guard once.

Say 4 or 5 years ago or more back bows started changing. Lower brace heights became more user friendly and maybe sites like AT helped with information, like how to grip a bow and the bow arm.
My 2009 TX4, 33 1/2" ata, with 6 1/4" brace height is a piece of cake to shoot. Last I had it setup I almost considered it a Field bow out to the 60 and 65 yards that I shot.

My present target bows, 2012 MarXman and 2014 MX2, have brace heights of 7" and 7 3/8" and I can't tell the difference in accuracy. I used them both in a test, 50/50, and shot a 398/400 on the Vegas face, 20 yards. My MarXman was cranking 284.5 fps. Some one that likes spots could probably make them X killers and consider both shot the same arrows with 6.04% FOC. Yeah, 80 gr glue-in points.

· Back Yard Champion
35,996 Posts
I want to shoot a 416 grain arrow out of a TRG 7... 29.5 inch draw... Whats the best guesses on speed? Thank you...
Figure it out.....Start with the bow's listed IBO.
SPEED ADJUSTMENT
2 fps / 1 # of draw weight
10 fps / 1” of draw length
1 fps / 3 grains of arrow weight
1 fps / 3 grains of weight on the string

· Back Yard Champion
35,996 Posts
@sonnythomas.... I have an average sting... meaning d loop peep, ect... best guess as to how many grains are on that...? thank you... I came up with 267 fps if I use 21 grains as a guess on the string...
15 to 18 grs may be a closer guess... The only true way to know is to shoot through a chronograph...

· Back Yard Champion
35,996 Posts
Here's a review. 38" ata and good lookers....

· EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,880 Posts
First up. Old sayings die slow. Okay, only a few years back 7" brace height was considered minimum for a forgiveness factor. Well, that pretty much depended on the archer... The Mathews Black Max and Hoyt Viper were in the 5 1/2" brace height range. People bought them and sold them shortly after. I shot the Black Max and loved it, but the owner wouldn't sell it. He was like me, that 5 1/2" brace height didn't bother him a bit.

I shot the Hoyt UltraTec with 6 3/8" brace height as well as any bow I ever shot. Like the Black Max I never used a arm guard once.

Say 4 or 5 years ago or more back bows started changing. Lower brace heights became more user friendly and maybe sites like AT helped with information, like how to grip a bow and the bow arm.
My 2009 TX4, 33 1/2" ata, with 6 1/4" brace height is a piece of cake to shoot. Last I had it setup I almost considered it a Field bow out to the 60 and 65 yards that I shot.

My present target bows, 2012 MarXman and 2014 MX2, have brace heights of 7" and 7 3/8" and I can't tell the difference in accuracy. I used them both in a test, 50/50, and shot a 398/400 on the Vegas face, 20 yards. My MarXman was cranking 284.5 fps. Some one that likes spots could probably make them X killers and consider both shot the same arrows with 6.04% FOC. Yeah, 80 gr glue-in points.
Actually the BH on a Black Max was 5", not 5 1/2"... I owned one and loved it. The only issue I had with the 5" brace was that it put dents in my watch band! I didn't notice this right away and at first couldn't figure out why my watch band was dented. It didn't take but a few minutes to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.