Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanting opinions and info on these two bows, outside of whats said on the websites, how do they both feel, shoot, etc. thank you

·
Straight Shooter
5,734 Posts
They're both awesome. Pick your favorite dealer, and get comfortable with whichever bow you choose. They're both nearly silent, nearly vibration free and very accurate. I was busting nocks at 45 yards tonight.

·
THWACK!!!!
9,757 Posts
I agree both are fantastic and there are things I like on each one over the other. If I could only put everything I like into one package I would be set.

·
Registered
19,349 Posts
2018’s best 2 bows for me.
I went Triax.

·
Straight Shooter
5,734 Posts
Honestly, if you haven't picked one yet, you might as well throw the PSE Evolve 28 into the mix now!

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
We can all tell you which one we like, to me I have shot Bowtech for years I have killed more deer with Bowtech brand bows then any other. One reason for this is because I was confident in them, and another reason is its what I bought and shot. I never would buy a bow again under 32" after I bought a Mathews z7 extreme and it ruined me, however this time when I went to shoot new bows i went with an open mind, the dealer sold all the major brands I did not shoot PSE however but I did take the time and show bows at the exact poundage and exact draw length with just a whisker biscuit and d-loop. THEN the dealer handed me this little ol short stubby thing, I said i will shoot it but I was thinking aint no way im buying that thing. LOL IT WENT HOME WITH ME it was a Mathews Triax, Dealer was standing over there watching me and once I pulled off a shot I said I cannot believe this, my last bow was a halon 32-7 and that was a hard choice between it and a reign-7.

Go shoot them, and let us know what you end up with, either one you are going to enjoy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree, they are both very nice. But they are different. I have a Halon and a Reign and when I shot the Triax it felt similar to the Halon and the Realm felt similar to the Realm. Both bows have great quality components. The feel (grip, draw, and hold) is different between Mathews and Bowtech. Both draws are smooth but you can feel more weight through the draw on the Triax. The Triax will have a shorter valley and you'll need to keep more pressure on the hold vs the Realm you can relax a little more. Both bows are quiet with very little vibration. The only thing that really stood out to me when I shot the Triax was I had to reach my head forward a little more to keep my nose on the string. When I shoot the Halon and Reign I have to change my shooting style a little, but I'm equally accurate with both bows. If deciding between the two, I think it comes down to a personal choice of feel. And I know that's tough to get when you only shoot a few arrows at the dealership. The bowtech will also allow you to play with the draw lengths and let-offs without making a trip to the dealer. That's a plus to some who like to experiment back and forth between settings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm personally gonna stick with Hoyt, but I have heard the Triax is very accurate and almost no vibration after the shot. I personally shot one in the bow shop and I was very "dead in the hand", but having a 31inch draw length I don't like the string angle on smaller bows.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was set on buying the realm. Really liked it. The draw was smooth and buttery and easy for 70# @27.5”dL. Easier than my Hoyt. The issue was that I was only getting 283 with my current arrow setups the realm. Then I shot the triax. My first Mathews bow. Blown away. Dead in the hand after. The realm had a slight bump. Still less than the Hoyt carbon defiant. Which isn’t bad. Triax speeds with my arrow 400g was 293 FPS. Now I know the realm was only on comfort setting. I couldve probably switched and maybe get 8 FPS more. Closer to what I was looking for in speed. But the dead in the hand feeling. Blew me away. Shorter bow. I’m 27.5”dL. This bow fit me better. That’s why I went with the triax. I put a ascent accuhunter single pin. Omg. (I’ve used spot hog hunters past 5 years. ) I’m able to shoot 60-80 yards better with this setup vs my other setup. Apples and oranges? Maybe. But what I know is that I’m very happy with my current setup. Make sure you shoot both. Side by side. Good luck! They’re both great bows.
Ps. I was told the bowtech is easier to tune for different setups. Broadheads and such.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,523 Posts
Shot them both and own a Realm X. My preference would be the Realm. The Realm bows are something special. The hold and accuracy is awesome and the OD Binary allows for tuning perfection better and more easily than any other cam system out there frankly. I'm a 27.5" DL and I noticed the string angle on the Triax for sure. It didn't seem as obvious with the Realm which is a great bow. Love the Realm X. The Triax is the most dead in the hand bow I shot this year with the Ritual being awfully close but that doesn't mean jack. All bows are plenty dead in the hand and a small amount of positive feedback is great in terms of what it tells you about your shot. Either way, both bows are nice bows and certainly of couple of the top options of the year (I think the Realm pair takes the cake this year over all other options but that's just me). You have to figure out what you can be most accurate with ultimately as that is clearly the most important factor.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I chose the triax. It held better and felt better on the shot for me, YMMV. I’m a 30.5” draw, shooting the 30” mods for the higher letoff as they draw long, mine was 1/2” long. I added a couple twists to cables for a little longer draw length, shortened loop slightly, and anchor slightly higher to get the nose to my string and everything comfortable. The anchor difference is very small but worth pointing out. I love the bow so far, ready to finish setting it up and get it in the field.

D

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The grip on the Realm is the best of any bow that came out this year. The grip on the Triax sucks, but can be replaced. The shorter ATA of the Triax is a no-go for me. I wouldn’t even own the Realm, but the RealmX is great. If you’re wanting a compact bow, you really can’t go wrong with either. Like stated above, you may want to look into the PSE Evolve 28 too. The Evolve cam system is very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The grip on the Realm is the best of any bow that came out this year. The grip on the Triax sucks, but can be replaced. The shorter ATA of the Triax is a no-go for me. I wouldn’t even own the Realm, but the RealmX is great. If you’re wanting a compact bow, you really can’t go wrong with either. Like stated above, you may want to look into the PSE Evolve 28 too. The Evolve cam system is very nice.

I liked the realm grip, but I also like the triax grip. It’s deceiving, it feels different and it shoots different which I didn’t like at first. After shooting it more though, I’ve found it to be incredibly forgiving and repeatable and haven’t bothered with trying any other grips.

D

·
Registered
448 Posts
I liked the realm grip, but I also like the triax grip. It’s deceiving, it feels different and it shoots different which I didn’t like at first. After shooting it more though, I’ve found it to be incredibly forgiving and repeatable and haven’t bothered with trying any other grips.

D
that is my only gripe on the triax...the grip. i'm not a fan of the high grip and that makes it slightly less repeatable for me. i own the triax and shot the realm before buying. nice bow but didn't wow me away from my old bow.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
that is my only gripe on the triax...the grip. i'm not a fan of the high grip and that makes it slightly less repeatable for me. i own the triax and shot the realm before buying. nice bow but didn't wow me away from my old bow.
The thing that felt awkward to me was the width of the grip. I’ve adjusted to it now. I don’t think this grip is high, even though people on AT keep saying it is. I find it to be a very medium wrist grip compared to my other bows. I tried shooting it with a high wrist because people keep saying that’s what it likes, and it felt terrible to me that way.

D

·
Registered
654 Posts
wanting opinions and info on these two bows, outside of whats said on the websites, how do they both feel, shoot, etc. thank you
Never liked the Mathews bows and never purchased one... then along came the TRX/Halo series. Ended up getting the TRX 38 for spots and field, and what a great hold and shooting bow. Rock steady with no kick, smooth comfortable draw, and the top line of bows in my humble opinion. Now, I heard about the Triax, and since the TRX 38 is the best bow I have shot, I decided to try the Triax (since I am a ground hunter). Oh My!! Unbelievable really.... I mean, after shooting the Triax, I really have been questioning why I need any other bow. It's small, balance is awesome, dead quiet, and holds just like a large ATA bow. I brought the Triax home and threw on a 'old' hunting sight Apex 5 pin. Not kidding, after sighting it in, I decided to shoot a Vegas round with it. X's and 10's all through.... amazing! And, all this in a bow that is under 1G? And that's another factor no one has mentioned I see...... if you purchase the Bowtech and then later try to sell it... well you know how that will go. Mathews for some cult like reason, keep more of their value for a longer period of time.
I have a Bowtech CPXL and also the Boss.... and they are great bows! I have not shot the Realm, I would of....but I couldn't make it past the Triax.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
The thing that felt awkward to me was the width of the grip. I’ve adjusted to it now. I don’t think this grip is high, even though people on AT keep saying it is. I find it to be a very medium wrist grip compared to my other bows. I tried shooting it with a high wrist because people keep saying that’s what it likes, and it felt terrible to me that way.

D
Yes it’s def more of a medium or low grip. I took mine off and shoot off the riser that’s wrapped in tennis grip.

Love it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts