Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now in the market for a new bow. I know, I know it's not good to switch teams right at the start of season. I shoot a 7 y.o. MQ32 now and a friend wants to buy it. I'm looking closely between the Tribute and SB XT. I don't have any experience with Bowtech so I'm leaning toward the XT just because I'm already familiar with Mathews. First question is how quiet is the Tribute? Next question is about fletch clearance. I just read a review on the Tribute in B&A Hunting and the author mentioned that he had a problem with fletch clearance on the arrow cutout of the riser using blazer vanes. I just bought a doz Blackmax Elite's and have them fletched with right helical blazers shooting through a WB. I like the setup and don't want to change it. They will be used on my new bow as well, just as long as they are long enough. So anyone out there shoot blazers through the tribute having this problem? This could be the deciding factor on which bow I buy. I still haven't shot either bow yet, I plan on it this week though. Thanks in advance for responses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First off ...........GET BACKTO WORK.:shade:

Secondly I've shot both and they each have a very different "feel" to them, but both are good rigs. I wouldn't worry about fletching clearance on the Tribute you should be just fine. :wink:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
if u are using a drop away rest then you will never have a problem with fletching contact of the shelf.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
North Texas, I can give you a good bit of info here regarding your question... The XT was the last bow I was shooting before signing with BowTech, and one of the bows I ordered in was a Tribute. I kept the XT for several months, as I was in no hurry to sell it and enjoyed being able to shoot heads-up comparisons for myself and visitors.

The XT is a very, very good bow. However, everyone to a person agreed that my Tribute was as quiet if not quieter when shooting side by side. And, yes, the XT's specs were all spot-on, and she was timed perfectly. The Tribute is just that quiet. In fact, I had to add string leeches to the XT to make it as quiet as the Trib, which surprised me given the fact it had the additional string suppressors.

Obviously, the Tribute is a good bit faster -- even to the point of being noticeable by the naked eye. Add that rock-solid draw-stop peg, the adjustability of the interchangeable smooth and speed modules -- the MUCH better grip (I replaced the original Mathews grip with a Tronjo grip the first week I owned it...) -- the WAY better stock strings... Even though the similiarities appear close at first glance, there's actually a tremendous difference when putting the two under the microscope.

I know that being a staff shooter for BowTech obviously skews my credibility somewhat on the matter, but I'm giving my honest feedback. If nothing else, go and shoot both bows and pick the one you like the best -- but there ARE differences.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I shoot the blazers on my CE Maxima Hunter's and have never had a problem with clearance....... I would say that they are both GREAT BOWS! It really just comes down to what feels good in your hand and WHAT YOU WANT! I personally shot the SB XT and the Outback at my Mathews dealer and liked both of them......BUT after shooting the Tribute, Well lets just say I "fell in love" :tongue: ha I truly felt this was the bow for me, (fast, quite, smooth, did I mention fast!) and it is a tack driver. ALL I NEEDED! I also havn't seen to many Switchbacks shooting 311fps! :wink: Good luck with your purchase, you can't go wrong either way! Heath

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Neglected the second part of your question... Yes, I shot blazers all summer fletched with a hard right helical and had no problems whatsoever with contact. Problems with adhesion regarding the blazers to my wraps, but that's another matter.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have not used the SB XT, but i own and use a Tribute 70# 28' with blazer R offset and WB and it works great !!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
You should have no problems with blazers on black max shafts. You put a high profile vane on a large diameter shaft it does get a little tight on the clearance. :wink:

·
The pugs keeper
5,958 Posts
tribute

I shoot the tribute with easton axis and blazers with a tt drop away. No problems what so ever. Once again both great bows, i just like the bowtech better. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bow

I shot both side by side. I liked the Tribute and bought it. My friend that was with me shot both and liked the Switchback better. When I shot the bows the Switchback was the quieter bow (they were set up a little differently?). The tribute was faster and felt better to ME. Bottomline, shoot both pick the one you like-you can't go wrong either way.

all the best,
john

·
Registered
786 Posts
I too have shot both, and found them to be comparable in many aspects. IMO they are the top two bows on the market. That being said, the Tribute is easily #1. I definitely thought the Tribute was quieter, and had less hand shock. The wall on the Tribute is solid, whereas I thought the XT was a little spongey. I bought the Tribute, obviously, and with the speed mods, I am zinging 400 gr arrows at 309 fps. The XT I shot was maxing out at 285. Granted, these were shot through different chronos. The most important thing for you to do is to shoot them both. The key factors for me is how the bow feels in my hand, the draw cycle, the wall, etc. If it is not comfortable, then why buy it...Ultimately, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,329 Posts
Can't go wrong with either bow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll come down to what you like better. I shot both and bought the Tribute. I don't much care for the grip Mathews has on their bows, plus a lot of people don't like the string that comes on the Mathews.
You get a faster bow in the Tribute, that's no dounbt. However I wouldn't call the Switchback XT slow by any means, just "slower" than the Tribute.
The Tribute can also be draw length adjusted where I don't think the XT can.
Shoot them both and see which one you like the best. Either will be a def. step up from a 7 year old bow.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
Well Ill put it this way. My brother is a die hard mathews fan and bought an XT this year. I bought a Tribute. The other day he shot my bow for awhile and wanted to go to the pro shop and buy one. He hated to admit it but he liked the Tribute way better. He shoots 28.5" draw and I shoot a 28" draw and my Tribute was shooting 307 at 5 grains per pound and his XT was shooting 294 at 5 grains per pound. He says that my Tribute was way quieter then his XT. I did shoot his Xt and it is a smooth shooting bow but Ill stick to my tribute.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm also a new Tribute owner. I shot alot of other bows while debating which to buy and the Tribute was the clear leader for me. I have yet to get arrows sized for my Tribute (seems my old bow was a little long for me!), but I've noticed that the old arrows do have fletching contact with the cable. They are right helical 4" fletches on aluminum easton shafts. I haven't yet tried to rotate the nock, and won't have time to play with it for a few days, but I will be interested to find out what I need to do to fix this.

BTW, I'm using a VT Limb Driver and without a pad under the rest, it seems a bit on the noisy side, but perhaps I'm just hearing the fletching contact.

I'm also wondering if when I start rotating the nock, will I put the fletching in contact with the rest as it bounces up a bit? As they sit now, if the rest contacts the fletching, it's contacting both the lower right and left at the same time. Not good, but equal left vs right. If I rotate the nocks to avoid the cable, one side would be hit with more force than the other. That's sure to cause a problem.

The total solution, of course, is to keep the fletching from contacting either the rest or the cables. That is my goal. Others have done it, I'm sure it's not going to be a problem for the long term. Just a tweek. Part of the fun and I still love this bow!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
The answer is neither...Get a Mathews Switchback not the XT...The original SB outshoots the XT with greater speed and less hand shock...

The Tribute is definately faster (if the speed mods are used) but this makes it much harder to draw than the SB...Put the smooth mods on and SB will be slightly faster...

As for the grips, I love the Mathews factory grip...I have no torque issues with it...The Tribute grip is also very comfortable and doesn't torque...

The factory strings on the Tribute may be marginally better than the SB's...But either way I would upgrade to Winners Choice coated strings...

They are very different in feel and both great bows...Quality wise you can't go wrong with either...So it's going to be feel for you more than anything...

Top 5 bows (imo) are:
Switchback
Tribute
Switchback XT
Trykon
Allegiance

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,329 Posts
deerhunter3241 said:
The answer is neither...Get a Mathews Switchback not the XT...The original SB outshoots the XT with greater speed and less hand shock...

The Tribute is definately faster (if the speed mods are used) but this makes it much harder to draw than the SB...Put the smooth mods on and SB will be slightly faster...

As for the grips, I love the Mathews factory grip...I have no torque issues with it...The Tribute grip is also very comfortable and doesn't torque...

The factory strings on the Tribute may be marginally better than the SB's...But either way I would upgrade to Winners Choice coated strings...

They are very different in feel and both great bows...Quality wise you can't go wrong with either...So it's going to be feel for you more than anything...

Top 5 bows (imo) are:
Switchback
Tribute
Switchback XT
Trykon
Allegiance
I'm not sure about the SB being faster than the Tribute with the slow mods. You only gain 8 fps. app. with the speed mods. I'll have to check on that statement. :smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I bought the tribute. I think the draw stop was the deciding factor for me. I did notice that the cables are dangerously close to the fletching on my arrows. I had to rotate the cock vane out for better clearance. Good thing I shoot a WB. Happy Hunting >>---->

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had this exact problem yesterday .... between the AR Velocity and the Tribute .... I just couldn't get used to the Kick and hand shock on the shot with the Velocity .... The tribute for ME shot better .... the XT I just couldn't get used to it either and the Tribute finally won me over with the Quietness, Faster Speeds and the Shock free shot ... not to mention the ROCK SOLID draw stop ... By the way I wound up with the FAST mods

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts