Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me the other day about a trick to break in new strings. He said to fill a bathtub with enough warm water to submerse your string and cables for 15 minutes. Shoot about 150 shots and your string will never budge. Sound like advice I should heed when my new Scepter 3 roles in?

·
Registered
164 Posts
What's the point of the hot water? You still have to shoot them in anyway. And considering we wax our strings to protect them from moisture ...

·
edthearcher
6,455 Posts
soaking strings

great idea if you dont care about your bow, with friends like that . well i,ll say no more your axles will have rust on them in a week can you amagine what that will do for youe cam or wheel bushings

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
I saw the same thing in Petersons Bowhunting a couple months ago. Chance B. told them thats what he did to new strings.

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
I know my new string stretched alot quicker and stopped alot quicker w/ the Magnock receiver on it.

·
Banned
736 Posts
Cheap strings

Edthearcher- I think they intended you to remove the strings from your bow and soak them not submerging the whole bow! ;) :D

Hornet—Yes it will, as any added weight will increase the stretching process of a string. You really want to see a factory string stretch fast install a 35+ grain metal D-loop. The more you stretch it with every shot then the faster it will reach its total stretch capacity.

IMHO what’s best is to build or buy a quality string like Berry’s and you won’t have to deal with it. :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
i take my bows for a rids in the car for alast 2 to 3 hores and that seem to help the stings to set in

runaways Xs

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
LMAO!!!! now we have people floating strings in the bathtub! Just get a set of good quality strings like winners choice and they will be ready in about 20 shots :)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

·
edthearcher
6,455 Posts
string stretch

my wife and my self toured hoyt about 4 years ago i brought this up to them about hoyt strings stretching they suggested and i still do it today i use a piece of leather and string wax by rubbing it hard on the string it heats up you can feel it in your fingers getting hot i also use my wifes hair dryer

·
Registered
829 Posts
soaking strings

Hey
They forgot to say that after you soak the strings, you should also dry fire the bow!!! That always sort’s the strings out

:eek:

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I think that maybe Chance sleeps with his bow under his pillow as well as he shoots it.;)

I've heard of the soaking thing before but don't think I'll try it.

I'll stick with my customs:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
and after you get tham out of the tub you take tham and hook one end to the truck and thr other end to the car and tow the car 15 feet to ring out the water :confused:

LOL runawaysXs

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you are keeping the factory strings on the bow, most of the break-in will be done for you. The strings have sat on the bow for some time before you get it, so all you have to do is set it up, shoot about 100-150 arrows and hopefully it shouldn't move. About all you can do is make sure the string has ample twists in it (anywhere from 15-30 will be enough). Most of the "secrets" to getting a string to break in fast are done in the 'construction phase', not the 'shooting phase'. Shoot it and hope for the best, that's about all you can do. :) Oh yeah, and I wouldn't try the bathtub thing if I were you. :D

Gipper

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just shoot the darn thing! Buy strings that prestretch their material like winners choice, berry, bowman,local shop who know what they are doing! Matt

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I didn't really put much stock in my buddies suggestion either. I just thought I'd run it by you guys to see what you thought. I'll just go with my ususal shoot and twist to get it right. Thanks for the replys. Oh yeah, I thought the same thing when I read about taking"2 or 3 hores". Hehehe;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
String? I don't use no stink'in string!!! No stretching problem for me. O.K. I think the string keeps stretching after the break in period. I will settle in for a while but after time it will get longer. Is this a certain fact? No. I am going on the ata marked at roughly ever few hundred shot. I started keeping better records this year on the specs of my bow. The new string held my ata to 31 3/8 and stretched to the 32 in a few hundrd shots. Get new nocks (tight ones) for the break in. They will help form the serving and increase peep consistancy. *Note- these comments are in no way the views of people in the know! Be safe and wear that string in the good old fashion way....noh20.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts