·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Consider this:

A PSE F4 bow, brace 7", set at 39 lbs
Drawlenght 26.5

If you need all the speed you can get to shoot long distances ( 70 meters ) the obvious choice would normally be ACE's or similar (and Mylar vanes).

However, my concern is, that if you shorten a barreled ACE that much, you cut off the light bits and end up with the heaviest section of the arrow.

Not only a tuning nightmare, but probably also heavier than a suitable ACC or Cartel Triple.

Does anyone have good advice for a top target arrow that is also affordable?

Opa

·
Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,256 Posts
Easton Navigators are really getting popular. They cost alot less and people are getting great results from them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
A lady archer here uses a PSE Supra at 38#, with a draw length of 25 inches. Aluminum arrows couldn't reach the 70m mark so we lent her 28.5" ACE 570 arrows and she has no trouble reaching and hitting the 70m target.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,696 Posts
I cut down ACE 520s to a shaft length of 25.25 by taking the recomended maximum amount off the front and the rest off the back and I have not experienced any tuning problems with them at all. They fly the truest of any shaft I've ever shot. They shot so well at the IBO worlds this year I only missed the cut by 3 points. I've never been anywhere near that close before. Well worth the extra money in my opinion. My total arrow weight is only 275 gr that is useing 90 gr points. Good luck in ever getting a ACC or a Navigator with a 520 spine to weigh that little.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
OPA, for your light draw weight you can pick pretty much any type of shaft properly spined for your set-up. I reviewed the Easton charts and nearly everything in the size you'll need weighs within 0.50 gr from the lightest to the heaviest (ACE at roughly 6.01gr/inch for a 780 up to a 2-04 at 6.48gr/inch). Most the options, like the Navigator and the Vector are within 0.25gr/in of the ACE. Therefore for a 26" arrow you're only saving roughly 6-7 grains using an ACE.

I guess my point being, for your set-up (low draw weight and draw length, thus needing a smaller spined arrow) why worry about the headaches of trying to cut a barreled shaft down to size when there are a couple other options available that will involve less guesswork in terms of how much to cut off and from which end of the shaft. Personally I'd seriously look into a comparably spined Easton Navigator or Vector for FITA (70m).

For Punch_Master the ACE probably is the shaft to use because at the spine he needs - guessing he's shooting significantly more than 39# - the weight difference between an ACE and other comparably spined Easton arrows does start to show significant weight differences (i.e. 20gr + for the entire shaft length). But again, for your set-up the weight differences for comparably spined shafts is not nearly as significant.

Just my opinion however...................:)

>>------->

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,696 Posts
Ch Pro is probably right in what he is saying weight wise. Mine is shot at 55 lbs, 26.5 drawlength with a shaftlength of 25.25. My only point is that from what I've seen cutting from the front and back doesn't seem to hurt the way ACEs fly or group. JMHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts