Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing this because I always thought the cause of target panic had something to do "shooting anxiety." (And I've read numerous times that all of us at some point will eventually deal with "target panic"/punching the trigger etc!)

I'm a 50 year old guy, in great shape for my age IMO. (To prepare for fall, I still trail run 3 mi. 3x a week at night under headlamp after working 12+ hour shifts at work.) After almost 15 years of shooting/hunting with a bow I began to punch the trigger/struggle with target panic a few years back. Tried to work through it with the hinge release, but no coach. Kept getting worse. Without a coach to guide me, I gave up on "the hinge thing", it was making the problem worse. I came to the conclusion that I'd have to just "accept and live with target panic." (fortunately for me it never was an issue when I was on a deer, only when practicing) ~ Odd, right?

Anyways..... About a month ago I realized that MY TARGET PANIC IS GONE!
Not sure what the resolution is/was but several notable things happened in this order:

1. Girlfriend of 10 years left. (Didn't realize how stressed out I had become those few years.)
  2. Began dating a new gal.
  3. To everyone's surprise (mine especially), I stopped snoring about 6 months later. (Had developed sleeping disorder about 5 years ago and had sleep apnea symptoms which also COMPLETELY disappeared at same time.
  4. Replaced my peep with a "Specialty Archery Verifier" which cleared up my fuzzy pin.*
Thinking that STRESS is/was a major factor and is closely related to target panic.... And sometimes it has absolutely nothing to do with shooting anxiety!

FWIW: I am (was actually) still literally working INSANE hours during the summer months (70 days straight with only one rain day off this past summer, the day I replaced my peep with the verifier*) in a busy environment during the time that I realized my target panic was gone.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now half of AT is going to go dump there wives and GF to get rid of target panic
LOL... Amazing the unexpected effects of stress. I'm still not sure how much of it was due to the fuzzy peep. I think it was several things all combined. Regardless, I was really convinced I had a serious sleeping disorder. Loud snoring and pauses etc..... It was my new girlfriend who noticed all the snoring and strange breathing rhythms had completely gone away this past winter/spring. (She works in a hospital.)

·
Socket Man
23,172 Posts
Dang, you gotta love it when life loosens up and you can enjoy things and get rid of some target panic. Sweet!!!!!

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,523 Posts
I am not surprised in the least! Your "target panic", commonly referred to as the "yips" in golf, came about because your body had reached it's limit of stress and you could no longer over come it while shooting.

A good marriage can turn rotten because of a stressful work environment.
A good job can head south because of the stress of a bad marriage.
Stress is a know factor in poor sleep patterns. While poor sleep hinders our ability to deal with stress so it's circle.

I am not a doctor but at this point in my life I am certain most people that behave differently (act out) because of the effects of stress do NOT realize it and will say they don't feel stress! Though I do believe some people use real or imagined "stress" as an excuse to be a jerk. Stress effects people and the older you get the worse your body handles it.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not surprised in the least! Your "target panic", commonly referred to as the "yips" in golf, came about because your body had reached it's limit of stress and you could no longer over come it while shooting.

A good marriage can turn rotten because of a stressful work environment.
A good job can head south because of the stress of a bad marriage.
Stress is a know factor in poor sleep patterns. While poor sleep hinders our ability to deal with stress so it's circle.

I am not a doctor but at this point in my life I am certain most people that behave differently (act out) because of the effects of stress do NOT realize it and will say they don't feel stress! Though I do believe some people use real or imagined "stress" as an excuse to be a jerk. Stress effects people and the older you get the worse your body handles it.
Another thing I failed to mention is dreams, or more like "lack thereof" during the stressful times..... Not only am I sleeping much better but dreams are back. There were several years where I don't ever recall having one single dream. During those few years, I knew I was under a lot of long-term stress (occupation too), but always thought I was "handling it well."

FWIW: My attempt to counter the stress was also one of the reasons I chose to "ramp-up" on the trail running. (more frequently and longer distances these past few years) Looking back, I do think it really helped out in the "stress department", and it keeps me "rugged for my age" & both mentally and physically prepared for fall bow season. But it just wasn't enough to overcome the target panic thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts