Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get this bad habit of punching my trigger. I have tried every way that i can think of to break this habit. If anyone has any good addvice that could help me that would be great.

Thanks. Richard

· Registered
7,625 Posts
Blank bailing. get close to the target, close enough that you can shoot it and hit it with your eyes closed and shoot that way. Dont worry about aiming or where you are going to hit, just focus on making a clean release.

Good luck

Derek

· Registered
1,840 Posts
I recently devised a way to practice the act of shooting in the comfort of my basement using my compound bow and a recurve string.
I bought a 58" dacron string put a karabiner clasp on each end to attach it to the upper and lower wheels of my compound bow. I set a peep on the string and a loop. Without an arrow you can draw and sight the recurve string and practice squeezing the trigger at a target. This practice works well when I can't shoot on my range. You may have to tie some knots in the string to get it to match your draw length, and your compound string will obscure your sight pins (if you don't torque your wrist) torque your wrist a bit and you can see your pins. If you can see your pins without making any wrist movements, it might be an indication that you do torque your wrist.
You are only putting enough pressure on the string to make it feel as if you're at full draw with your compound bow. About ten pounds of pressure and it won't stress anything on your bow.

Your Bow + draw and squeeze = good practice

· Registered
608 Posts
I had this same problem, really bad through the 2006 season, and into the 2007. I tried a bunch of different releases, and finally settles on a Carter Chocolate Addiction. Different releases seemed to make me punch less or more.

Another thing that helped me was to set up a target in my garage. Draw the bow, with an arrow nocked, settle the pin on the X. Count 5 one thousand and let down. Do this over and over and over, then do it some more. This trains your brain, that you don't have to fire as soon as your pin and the X cross paths.

Really helped me a lot.

· Registered
653 Posts
I'm having a similar problem,and I'm going to order a release trainer to work with when I can't get to the range.I just need to figure out which one!

· Registered
22,716 Posts
I had this same problem, really bad through the 2006 season, and into the 2007. I tried a bunch of different releases, and finally settles on a Carter Chocolate Addiction. Different releases seemed to make me punch less or more.

Another thing that helped me was to set up a target in my garage. Draw the bow, with an arrow nocked, settle the pin on the X. Count 5 one thousand and let down. Do this over and over and over, then do it some more. This trains your brain, that you don't have to fire as soon as your pin and the X cross paths.

Really helped me a lot.

+1

PSE actually teaches this method at their school but a little different. They have you draw and hold until you start shaking and let down. Do this two times. Then on the third, they recommend right before you start to shake to squeeze the shot off.

Good luck, it is hard to get rid of.

· Back Yard Champion
35,911 Posts
Check in General Archery Information - causes and cures for such (T.P.).

Trying to hard, having too much draw weight or the bow just plain set up wrong for you can lead to several shooting problems.

· Do say when...
1,744 Posts
what i did was drew my bow back, and settle the pin dead center in the bullseye, then while tryin to keep steady, i closed my eyes and barried the triger in the second joint in my finger. then i open my eyes to have the pin dead center, then you have to try really really really really really hard not to just shoot, and squeeze it. After doing that you kinda settle down and don't even think bout it...

· Registered
265 Posts
hydraulic

i just started using a hydraulic release and has worked wonders when i swith back to my strap style release, the nice thing about a hydraulic is you never know when it will go off so you cant punch or panic, it is actually kinda soothing.
good luck

· Registered
7,625 Posts
i just started using a hydraulic release and has worked wonders when i swith back to my strap style release, the nice thing about a hydraulic is you never know when it will go off so you cant punch or panic, it is actually kinda soothing.
good luck
I wanna try one soo bad just for the heck of it. I would shoot up scores every week lol:rolleyes: Im sure id still find a way to punch it lol. j/k:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.