Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I switched from my back tension zenith to a t.r.u trigger release because thats what I feel more comfortable to hunt with. Well, yesterday I taught myself to shoot my tru ball trigger using back tension and my accuracy was amazing, every shot was a surprise release.

I guess my question is, is this going to be just as accurate as my zenith down the road or will I start to anticipate that shot and have tp?

Also, are the any drawbacks from using a trigger release with back tension versus a true back tension release?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on a index finger trigger release: I keep pulling my release arm back using back tension while slowly rotating my elbow up and it cause the release to fire and its a total suprise (not sure if its the correct procedure but it works for me)

·
Registered
780 Posts
as long as it works for, do it. don't fix it if it aint broke.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There is no reason why you shouldn't shoot a triggered release using back tension. All releases (apart from the very few 'pull-and-shoot' ones) have a trigger, its just that the trigger of most so-called back tension releases is the handle.

As to developing anticipation, yes, you probably will, but then you will on a 'back tension' release if that's the way your brain works. If you are an anticipator, you will anticipate! The magic of BT shooting is all too often nothing more than the 'new toy effect' - great for a while, then all the old demons come back, just in a slightly different form.

By all means look for the release and style that suits you best, but you should think more in terms of controlling and managing your anticipation rather than trying to hide from it. Back tension is just a physical technique for triggering the shot. Managing anticipation and target panic is a mental discipline and can only be tackled in the mind. Don't confuse the two - you can anticipate a back tension shot (don't I know it!) and you can execute a perfect shot on command (ok, punching).

Find what works for you, work at it, stick to it and let your results, and nothing else be your guide.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I switch back and forth beween the two styles. trigger, Zenith. that way I keep the anticipation down to minimium. I also attempt to shoot them both with backtension. Don't know if I do it correct either but it isn't a punch.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Lately I've been shooting with 3 different releases to overcome target panic (freezing above the bullseye). I have a thumb, middle and index finger releases and just concentrate on holding on the bullseye while I squeeze the shot off. I shoot all three different releases during the session and it keeps me thinking just about aiming. It's also fun and rewarding to see my groups improving like they have been this close to deer season :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts