Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Trophy Taker Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing that many of the top shooters use a very heavy trigger weight vs. a hair trigger, some have even swapped springs or doubled them. I have two questions:

1. If this is true then why are the top shooters completely smooth and jerk free when pulling through all of this weight, one would think that it would take some force to get the shot to go off and therefore we would be able to see this when watching them shoot?

2. Will the extra weight at your release hand against the release and string allow one to hold steadier?

I'd really like to hear some input on this topic especially from some of you top shooters out there.

:confused:

·
Registered
745 Posts
heay trigger

I went to see a top pro 1.5 yrs ago and he really stressed a heavy trigger. I tried it for a year and just couldn't get the results I was after. I think the heavy trigger is great for peoplethat have the fear of missing or worrying about setting the release off. If you watched the straight talk video all the pros using the heavy trigger had a severe case of target panic. The heavy trigger helped them pull out of it. Some people have a heavy finger pull. I went to the indoor nationals and felt a lot of the pros release tension. There were a few that had it set really heavy, M.Ragsdale,M.Braden,Wildes and GRIV. On the other the other hand there were a lot more that had hairy to medium. You could blow on M.Andersons trigger and set it off. Just find what works for you. If you have a tough time with being timid on the trigger than yes go with a medium trigger and work your way up to heavy. I would also do the transition with a lot of up close shooting at a target.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Luckily, the stock 43lbs spring in my carter is perfect.
I think for guys who are shooting for a living, they might want it a little heavier so that they keep themselves following through. Also helps build good tension, so you can really get your back into it and not creep forward.

·
Grand Master
440 Posts
HEAVY TRIGGER: No I have not or do I have "TP". Yes I do and I teach Heavy/Stiff trigger tension. This way you can crawl into your release with no fear. At you next Tourn. watch on the line, you can see most of them with a light trigger. They move thier activator (thumb/finger) back and forth, on & off the trigger like they have to pump up the release before it goes off. There are several Pro's that have light triggers that are successful and I know a lot that without a stiff trigger their consistancey goes out the window. When I introduced the "stiff" trigger to GRIV his consistancey climbed way up. He shot good scores prior to that but his "Level Play" was anything but level.

As for trouble with pulling/squeezing and movement. It is something one has to work with. By having a stiffer trigger I can relax my release hand more thus it goes off easier. If you are new to any release, learn how to use it first. Learn how to load, draw and execute without a sight or anything like that. Just move up close to the target and teach your body about the release. So when it comes time to aim, you can without thought of the release.IMHO:Dee

R

·
0 Posts
I'd really like to hear some input on this topic especially from some of you top shooters out there.

What :D ee said,,Yeah. That's what I was ABOUT to say

I use a good and heavy trigger, I have to pull on it,,thus, making me push-pull evenly,,aplying pressure and movment to the trigger, straight throw.. but i shoot a index finger release,,Don't know how to shoot without bearing down on the trigger alittle ...

RobbyHood

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mr Wilde

I had tried the heavy trigger for about 11/2 yrs and just couldn't get it to work for me. I went from a 57x shooter to a 52x shooter. The reason I did switch is because I wanted to get to that next level, 60x. I don't know how many times I would be clean going into the last round and drop one or two and all because of the light trigger. It caused me to be to timid. The theory of the heavy trigger makes absolute since I just can't seem to get it down. I switched to a back tension this year and had it set real slow and broke all my personal records. I know what your saying about not worrying about it not going off I just can't get my back half to relax with the heavy trigger. I think to much about "is my thumb on there heavy enough" which in returns makes me tense my hand up. When I say light I don't mean hairy. I would say mine is medium. I have a carter with 2 125's but I have it sped up a little. Feels more like one 125lb spring. I'm hoping that after shooting this bt release i can go back to a thumb model set med to heavy. What personalities do you believe need to shoot a heavy trigger? I don't really get paniced when shooting or have that let it go mentality. what my biggest problem is I try to hold to still. I try to hard to make everything perfect. I usually average a 547 field and 57x indoors. I just would like to be abe to get it to the next level. 555 field and 60x. What are some of the ways you go about setting someone up on a heavy trigger?

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
how it works for me...

I too had problems making the heavier spring work. Jerry Carter suggested two 60s for my Insatiable. It works perfectly now. Here's what I do.

For me, the critical part is that initial set-up of your hand deep into the release. I want it very snug so that the trigger is in the fold at the base of my thumb. This makes it HOT. My hand is very tightly gripped round the release as I come to anchor. You need to practice this alot so not to fire the release by accident. But it's do-able.

This next part was the MOST important part of making it all work. DO NOT RELAX YOUR HAND (my thoughts to self). Once you do, you've lost most of that HOT set up you initially created. I used to do this at anchor and often had to let-down because the release would not fire. I call it, "letting out the juice". You don't want to do that. Keep it all tight and HOT.

Then once you've settled in. Engage the back and slowly tighten the hand and pull directly away from the target. Or as GRIV says, "pull a string (imaginary) from the center or your scope, directly back toward you."

Another thing. I aim better this way. Seems that the tightness in my hand, release arm and back make for a solid aiming platform. Don't read tightness as "tension". When I shot my Solution 3 with a more relaxed anchor, I hold less well.

And that's what works for me..:cool:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Go heavy, but go slow, I started with alittle heavier than I was used to and kept working up all last winter, now I am not afraid to get and go, a light trigger makes you timid, a heavy trigger makes you relax and be aggressive. Just my 2c.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts