Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at my club insists that I use backtension with my trigger release. Im using a Jim Fletcher wrist release. He says to apply pressure then bring back elbow to engage trigger. Another guy who has taught me everything I know about archery says "do what you like best" apply pressure and just squeeze the trigger. I shoot better squeezing vs the elbow backtension release method, although occasionally I will notice a target panic when my bow doesnt go off when I think it should (its like getting the opposite surprise and I'll notice my bow will move off target if that makes sense) with back tension my shots sometimes veer left (i think because im torquing my body that way when applying the back tension). The back tension guy says that will go away once I get used to the BT method. He says I'll develop bad habits (target panic) by squeezing my trigger. He says its instant gratification right now(squeezing) but in the long run I'll regret it.. Both guys are great shooters and post here, maybe they will chime in heheh...

I dont want to pick up bad habits but I also like squeezing my trigger insead of back tensioning it. I was in the Marines so I know how to properly squeeze trigger (slow surprise).

Just wondering what everyone else here who shoots triggers thinks, and how they shoot theirs.

Squeeze or backtension?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I do a lot of target practice outdoors and at longer ranges. I notice I get the tightest groups when I do two things: 1) use a loose grip on the bow (I touch my thumb tip and forefinger tip) and 2) use back tension to fire the trigger (instead of a deliberate finger pull).

When you don't do either of these things, you are more likely to add some (perhaps tiny) movement to the arrow that will affect where it is going to hit the target. And you can see it in your groups.

Why not test them out for yourself next time you are at the range?

Ray

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Well here we go again! i shoot with a trigger release and shoot quite well. Back tension is a great way to shoot but it doesn't come quick. Its something you need to practice day after day until it becomes subconcious. I, like you, have a lot of experience with shooting a rifle. My trigger control is very good, so I have a hard time getting away from using my trigger finger to intitiate the shot. If you have the patience to wait until the shot feels right and touch the trigger off, use that method if you use back tension and learn to do it correctly, use that method. the bottom line is that you need to use what you can shoot best with. I dont think you will develop bad habits if you use a trigger release, especially if you have a lot of experience with a rifle. Bottom line any way you shoot someone will agree and someone will disagree, there is no one way to do it.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have been going through this same scenario for 2 yrs. with a close friend of mine. This weekend he was pulling thru the release as opposed to squeezing. His shots were smoother, follow through was better, and accuracy went up. I beleive in this technique, but ya have to commit just like a true backtension release; give it a good try if it does'nt work for ya go back to your comfort zone:wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts