Archery Talk Forum banner

Trimming shooting lanes

1137 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Stanley
I have been up in two of my new stands now and realized that I have to clear a bit more out of the way. Is it too late for this? What do you guys suggest?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,121 Posts
Deer don't know how many limbs a pissellum tree is supposed to have.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, they say a mature buck knows his core area like you know your house. If something is moved, they know it. But then again, to have a shot at that buck, I have to have the lanes to shoot. I have no choice I guess.

· Registered
16 Posts
It does no good to be there and not be able to shoot. Trim like you need to for every possible shot and then stay away for a week or two. Trimming is not the problem for most people when trophy hunting. Travel in and out of the area and hunting the wrong winds is the biggest mistakes. The more you walk in and out the less chance you have of the surprise factor. Trees and limbs fall in the woods all the time so there is lots of "decorating" done in a years time to deer.

· Registered
3,062 Posts
No but if you trim too much,when the leaves are gone you will sometimes notice you trimmed too much and now you are in the wide open with a neon sign on your head.
Agreed...it's hard not to trim everything you need for many solid shooting lanes, but when the leaves fall you are a soar thumb! I would start off by creating one really good shooting lane in the most highly probable place your deer will come through, maybe 2 lanes at the most for early season. Leave the spot alone for a few days afterwards. When leaves fall you will find out that you have many more lanes without trimming anymore at all. Staying concealed is extremely important in the early season when deer are on a pattern and know their core area and everything in it. When the rut begins the deer are so pre-occupied with "other stuff" that they rarely take notice. Good Luck

· Registered
28,629 Posts
One of the biggest mistake bowhunters make is not enough/big enough shooting lanes. You must have a good clear shot or all is for nothing. I suggest you hunt the stands in the morning and clear the lanes after you hunt that way you will not have to expose yourself to the area another time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.