Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for a good tripod and head for my Swarovski ATS 65 Spotter, something light enough to pack. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,273 Posts
I have a Sirui carbon fiber- its awesome.

there are other good ones- S&S archery has a couple good ones that a lot of guys like

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Sirui carbon fiber- its awesome.

there are other good ones- S&S archery has a couple good ones that a lot of guys like
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation! It looks like those are a little cheaper than the outdoorsman or Swarovski tripods, which is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great spotting scope! For glassing sitting......mainly above treeline with my angled 65mm Swaro scope I use a cheap $90 Slik Sprint Pro II triopod with the center extension pipe removed. It weighs 28 ounces with the stock ball head which I use. I've had it since 2011 and its gone on 9 sheep hunts and a bunch of grizzly & black bear hunts, plus moose and caribou, deer, etc. Adequate unit if you don't extend it beyond the second extension and use it with the legs angled out on to the second notch for stability. There are other better tripods available.....Beendare's recommendation or an Outdoorsman unit or the Promaster XC525C, etc. They are also more expensive and heavier than the Slik I use.

That said, I use a big heavy (10#s?) aluminum Bogen tripod with a Manfratto pistol grip ball head when glassing around the truck or RZR with no intention of packing it.....great for standing or sitting high on a folding camp armchair with arms.

·
Registered
11,765 Posts
I pack my manfrotto aluminum tripod with the pistol grip head

·
Registered
17,826 Posts
Wow that really opened up a can of worms, I really like the outdoorsman attachment set up but is it worth the extra coin? s&s has some great info on their site! I am really wanting a compact light weight rig that as of now will be used mainly for binos but eventually a spotter.

Anyone run the vortex uni dapter?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Dtrkyman, Promaster XC525C with an Outdoorsman head, bino stud and adaptors would be my choice for a packable bino tripod setup (don't recommend the Slik Sprint Pro II I referenced above for spotting scopes for the bino application). A friend has the Promaster/Outdoorsman setup for his Swaro 15x56 binos and it is solid and just about perfection, although pricey. It will undoubtably last about forever. Good luck with your choice!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,273 Posts
My buddy has the outdoorsman tripod. Meh. Its expensive for what you get if you compare it to the other carbon fiber pods on the market. A couple of those heads they sell are fantastic....but they are $$$.

Mine is the Sirui T1205x...with the Manfrotto 700-RC-2 head. The tripod is strong enough for any optic and though not UL...its light for what it does. If you are using something like 10x binos its over kill...but its perfect for a heavy scope or big 15x bino's.

The Man 700rc2 head is a fluid head so its heavier than many of the mechanical heads out there. I though I might shoot vid at some point and you want the fluid for that....in that respect its one of the higher more reasonably priced heads for that application. So again, that head is heavier/more than you need for many setups. If you are just using binos, a ball head is fine that you can mount a plate to hold your binos [I made a light aluminum plate for my 10x Swaros as I didn't want the post mount]

I think most guys are well served with a light/cheap $80 alu Gitzo type tripod. The limitation to those is they aren't as stable with a heavy optic in the wind

·
Registered
17,826 Posts
I love the outdoorsman attachment set up, worth the money? seems not much love for the vortex uni, how about the field optics research...sorry if I highjacked khunter.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I was in the same boat about a year ago. I ended up getting my tripod from S&S archery as well. I ended up going with a promaster. It is a carbon tripod and a lot lighter than my old Manfratto. I still have the Manfratto but I keep it in my truck on hunting trips.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I use a Vanguard Espod 233 and at $80 and 1.2 pounds it’s fantastic and won’t break the bank. Very rigid and stable, smooth to operate. Does everything I need it to do.

·
Antelope Junky....
603 Posts
Just got a Vanguard Espod CX203AP for christmas, on sale at Sportsmans Warehouse for $50..... will see how it does this fall, seems nice enough, but i'm used too $10 cheapo tri-pods LOL,
Matt

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Another vote for the Promaster carbon tripod. Quieter than tripods made out of of metal telescoping legs. As for bino adapters, I have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL and I've bought and used both the Swarovski brand adapter, and the Outdoorsman brand. The Swarovski may appear flimsy for the price, but it is designed like it should be and that is pivot in the center of the binos. You also do not have to spread the binos (to fit on the adapter), and then readjust for pupillary distance, which I have to do for the Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsmans are strong, maybe faster to install, remove from the tripod, but the designer must have never set and glassed for Coues very long. Since the attachment pin is put into the hinge mechanism on the objective lens end of the binos, that becomes the pivot point. This creates a longer radius to the eyecup, which creates more head,neck, and body lean to scan the same depth of field compared to an adapter that pivots in the center of the binos(longer radius equals greater circumference).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts