Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any plans or ideas on how to use two trekking poles and an arrow as a spotting glass tripod? I broke down and bought myself some Leki trekking poles and they arrived today, I already have an arrow on me...so why not possibly put a Crown Royal fleece bag with some on site sand on top of all three, and have a usable tripod without lugging one along is what I am thinking.Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't hold a mono pod steady enough for viewing, or a bipod. I want it to be rock solid so that all I have to do is look through the glass without touching the tripod or scope. Well I have been outside glassing with this exact idea and it works VERY well. The weight of the sand in the Crown Royal bag locks the 2 poles and arrow tight. The 2 poles are already locked, due to their bigger diameter in small carabiner, and the weight of the sand on the arrow further solidifies the tripod. Of course, the sand makes for an easy adjuster of the scope, just like when shooting a rifle. This would easily work for a camera too for self portraits. $1 caribeaner and free Crown Royal bag that I get anyway cause I like the bottle that comes in it. Sand; plentiful everywhere. Bushnell 18X36 sitting on it. Nothing fancy but it works well. I have a new pair of ZEN RAY ED2 8X43 binos that I do most of my glassing with, and the spotting scope is for further examination if need be.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt

·
No Hype, Just Hunt
12,419 Posts
Pretty slick idea :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
HCH,

I really like the theory you have going here. One concern I have is keeping the scope steady in any kind of wind. Do you have you scope attached to the CR bag? Would that help? Maybe a piece of elastic cord to hold the two together?

P.S. You can never have too many CR bags...:wink:

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HCH,

I really like the theory you have going here. One concern I have is keeping the scope steady in any kind of wind. Do you have you scope attached to the CR bag? Would that help? Maybe a piece of elastic cord to hold the two together?

P.S. You can never have too many CR bags...:wink:
Sure, that idea could be implemented easy. I can tell you this for sure, the wind isn't going to move the tripod, it is rock steady. I have seen guys attach a sand bag to the bottom of their tripods to stabilize the pod, this setup I did seems to work quite well, and sand is easy to adjust up /down-left/ right by working the scope one way or another. stays put nicely, as I am sure anyone that has shot rifles on a bench can attest too. Saves me from buying an expensive lightweight tripod and more importantly having to lug it along. Honestly, playing with this last night, I can say that this will serve the average hunter's needs quite well.

·
Registered
35,947 Posts
I use a stoney creek monopod with a QD attachment for my spotting scope and Kaibab Vortex.

I have never felt the need for a tripod in the back country with this set up.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys that want a tripod, you will just have to try this. I wouldn't consider this setup as a balancing act, or a risk that the scope or camera is going to fall off either. My scope sets on the sand bag very solidly and I can't imagine the wind blowing this off. The scope settles into the bag and is even gripped by the contour of the bottom of the scope sinking into the bag. This setup also allows for uneven ground as is much simpler then trying to adjust the legs on a conventional tripod imo, as the 3 legs here are set at whatever the terrain is needed automatically, for the most part, by gravity setting the pole/arrow bottoms where they should be. The bag then placed onto locks the legs into place.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brock, I just buy the Crown Royal and throw the contents of the bottle with some 7UP and ice down a bow hunters throat:shade: I was going to drink it anyway, but it is nice of them to throw in the nice fleece bags. I use one for my spotting scope, one for my Ti stove and bush buddy cooker, and several others for different gear. Handy little bags. Affter using this now for several times with the sand in the cr bag, it also shows me how tight of a weave these bags are. No sand or dust is escaping from the bag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts