Archery Talk Forum banner

Trocar heads with a 52# bow yes or no?

392 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  mitchell
I have been shooting cut on contact heads. I am considering going back to the slick trick. Do any of you have experience with a trocar tip and a bow in that weight range (52# at 27.5" and 400g)? I know studies show COC heads punch hide better, so I am wondering if I should be concerned at all. Hunting whitetails.

Thanks for the feedback.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cato
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used several. Lately, I have been shooting DRTs. Burried one in the shoulder of a deer this week. Wanted to try something that might deflect bone a little more. The DRT stuck in the shoulder. Obviously, shot placement wasn't great, and I realize a shoulder shot with a 52# bow is not likely to lead to a good outcome no matter which head you shoot. In the past I had pretty good success with the tricks, and just was thinking of switching back.

Thanks for the response.

· Registered
363 Posts
While a ball joint would certainly stop or severely deflect most setups, 52 lbs and a coc head should get through a shoulder blade under most circumstances. I might suspect poor arrow flight, or maybe the arrow broke on impact if it was the shoulder blade stopping the arrow. While it's tempting to try to just go buy new stuff, make sure you also evaluate other variables and make sure you track down the true source of the problem.

· Cato
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am going to go with them for a while. Just for the record I shot bare shaft,

Paper tuned at short and 15 yds and shot broadheads with no issues Arrow flight was good. The DRT Burried in the shoulder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.