Archery Talk Forum banner

Trolling Motor Advice?

11904 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Swamp Rabbit
I need a bow mounted trolling motor. I plan on adding a platform at some point this spring but for now we are shooting off small deck built onto the bow of the boat.

My question is..

What type of trolling motor is the friendliest for bowfishing.. foot controlled or tiller?

I can see pros and cons for each type but was wondering what you guys would recommend before going out and buying one.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I looked at pics on some bowfishing sites to get an idea what most bowfisherman are using and most of the rigs I found pics of are split 50/50 between tiller and foot control.

I was pretty sure I wanted a foot control but after looking at tillers they definatly have their advantages. There is only about a hundred bucks difference between the foot controlled and tiller models I was looking at so the dollar difference isn't enough to be a deal breaker one way or the other.

I just want to make the most logical decision for bowfishing. I don't do much, if any, rod and reel fishing.

Right now it looks like I may go tiller since it will free up the floor space and be easier to operate while standing.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with a bow mount tiller.

I have a homemade light rail mounted on the bow with some halogen "headlights" so I tired to keep them in addition to the trolling motor.

Mounting the motor was a bit "different" but I think it will work out ok.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to try it all out.

· Registered
3,631 Posts
i prefer the foot control becuase it frees up my hands

· Registered
578 Posts
I use a hand control. Bowfishing is tough on trolling motors, most are not made for running long periods on high. They will burn circuit boards up and they are high to replace. The simple ones are the best, in other words, the less bells and whistles the better. I like the Motor Guide Saltwater Series but Minn Kota has some good ones with the composite shafts. With the hand I don't have to worry about a cable breaking or a circuit board going out, even if one of the manuel switchs goes out I can bypass it until I can get a replacement The Motor Guide uses a stainless steel shaft and if you need a longer one you will have to weld a extra piece on it or have one made (60 in or longer) with the Minn Kota you can but one up to 84 ins. Keep checking in and ask questions and we'll try to help all we can.
Charlie

· Banned
3,174 Posts
Until I bought my fan for my boat I used a tiller handle troller. The reason being that I am always taking out guys that have never been, and if I shoot a fish and need them to run the troller, a hand control is self explanatory but a lot can go wrong with a newbie and a foot control.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
Hand

Handheld is better in my op. I have had both. Including recessing the foot control. The tiller can be run by either partner easier. We mounted those little floor power buttons on both sides so all you would have to do is step on one and you were in business. Not knocking motor guide but I have bent several of those "unbendable shafts" up like bananas. I prefer the minn kota because I run a 72" shaft. Just my $.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.