Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i recently bought a new 3-d rig, and installed a trophy taker shakey hunter rest on it. i must say that i am very impressed so far...easy to set up, and easy to get tuned. i did have to modify the launcher a little bit. the inside "fork" was hitting my riser, so i ground a little bit of it off to give me clearance. it works great now.

the one thing that bothers me a little bit about the rest is the fact that it is loud. i know it isn't a big deal on a 3-d bow, but this rest was designed for hunters, and i am considering putting one on my hunting bow. it seems that most of the noise is coming from when the the metal tap where the lift string ties on snaps forward and contacts the barrel part of the rest. as i mentioned earlier, i modified the launcher, and it is in no way contacting the riser. i tried to put a tiny piece of moleskin between the two offending points, but it didn't buy me much, if anything.

for you guys (or gals) that shoot this rest, have you had similar experiences? how did you address the noise?

thanks,

-matt

·
74,535 Posts
Mine is set to hit risor

I place a piece of hook side of velcro there for it to land on. Works great. Go to search and plug in trophy taker and you should be able to see picture of my set u. If not send me your email address and I will send a picture.

I have shot several deer both ways and never seems to be a promblem.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the same problem. I have about 3 layers of moleskin under mine, and that hasn't really helped either. I would like some more input on this subject as well. I thought about moving mine forward a bit to where the bottom of the V was landing on my shelf instead of about 1/2 of the forks. I thought this might quieten it down b/c it would not drop as far. I think it would still give plenty of clearance. I am not going to do this until after the season b/c I have it set up and killing now. The noise is not that bad when you shoot, and it is too late for the deer. I just like things "right," and I want that extra noise gone.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the launcher is not hitting the riser

hey guys,

i am going to attach a pic that shows what is hitting where. the main problem seems to be that there is not enough surface area to put any kind of padding on. let me know what you think.

-matt

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
putting something on the riser underneath the arms prevents the metal tab rom hitting the frame of the rest. you have to have enough material(moleskin or whatever) to prevent this contact.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
matt, I would suggest moving the rest forward until the fork does hit the riser shelf. Then pad the shelf so the fork hits the padding before that tab can slap against the stops. I set up all my TT drop aways so the arm coming down hits the shelf/padding and they are very, very quiet. I'm not sure you can do anything to quiet the rest if you are going to set it up so far back that the arm cannot come down on the bowshelf. You may be able to muffle it slightly by using some good old fashioned duct tape on the tab itself and where the tab hits the stop. Just a thought anyways...............:)

>>--------->

·
74,535 Posts
Picture of My Trophy Taker for Hunting

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
74,535 Posts
Keep the Trophy Taker

Simple and accurate is the word. Lot to be said for this fall away. Many have found it to be one of the most accurate rest there is. I use it for that reason. Dont see other fall aways at 3d shoot or indoor touranments but I certainly keep looking. Maybe there hunting rest only. I want accuracy.

When you see many trophy taker fallaways at a indoor national shoot, that should say it all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts