Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trophy taker smackdown pro click broke a couple weeks ago. A screw that held the launcher blade to the axel snapped. This thing is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Dealing with trophy taker has been a nightmare. After too many emails, they have told me "it looks like you need a new launcher blade" and they will have that sent to me. I explained that I don't have a way of removing the rest of the screw from the axel and that the launcher blade is fine. With out going into all the detail I am currently waiting for a package that contains a new spring, screw and launcher blade. He never addressed the issue with the stuck screw and stopped answering when I asked for a tracking number.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I expected to do my own repairs with a lifetime warranty? I believe taking the thing apart will void my warranty, right? So I'm pretty annoyed to say the least.

I'll probably post the whole email thread if I don't get this resolved, but just wanted some feedback/ advice here. Currently shooting off of a $9 whisker biscuit- I may not go back馃檭

IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg

Registered
Reactions: CamPao28

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drill the screw and use an ez-out

However, I think you should be able to send it back to trophy taker. If they won鈥檛 fix it for you that鈥檚 bull. Have you called them?
I did think of the easyout thing/ or something like it. It goes back to warranty. If I screw it up its on me. They should repair the rest that broke with normal use. Ive only had it for about 4 months maybe?

I haven't called them yet, but I will on Monday.

Registered
I did think of the easyout thing/ or something like it. It goes back to warranty. If I screw it up its on me. They should repair the rest that broke with normal use. Ive only had it for about 4 months maybe?

I haven't called them yet, but I will on Monday.
I would definitely call them before I went that route.

Registered
I would try sending a brand new email to get a response see if you can mail it in for repair/replacement. I've owned a few of the trophy taker smackdowns haven't hand any screw failures or any other types of failures some are pushing 10yrs of service sounds like you got a lemon if your handy you might figure out a way to get the screw out as mentioned an easy out and some good penetrating oil might do the trick they are a great simple to setup rest. all the brands seem to fail from time to time I wouldnt hesitate buying another one good luck

Registered
None
I had another company do me the same way "expect me to fix it". It didn't set well with me either so I
moved on to another brand.

Registered
I had the same screw break on my Smackdown/Lockup.
It happened last Wednesday, the afternoon before shooting Redding.
I had to buy a rest on site in order to sight in and shoot the pro/am Thursday.
I'll be calling them in order to repair and remount the rest.

DK

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same screw break on my Smackdown/Lockup.
It happened last Wednesday, the afternoon before shooting Redding.
I had to buy a rest on site in order to sight in and shoot the pro/am Thursday.
I'll be calling them in order to repair and remount the rest.

DK
Let me know how it goes. I鈥檓 still having issues.

Registered
Thats bad CS, I hope they take care of you....I had a 10-12 year old QAD that started giving me trouble a few years ago and QAD replaced it with no questions asked. I actually felt bad about it, I had actually called them to see if it could be repaired on my dime.

Reactions: TMan51

Registered
The old Trophy Takers were awesome, new ones not so much. Hamskea is what I now use for quality drop away rests.

Registered
My trophy taker smackdown pro click broke a couple weeks ago. A screw that held the launcher blade to the axel snapped. This thing is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Dealing with trophy taker has been a nightmare. After too many emails, they have told me "it looks like you need a new launcher blade" and they will have that sent to me. I explained that I don't have a way of removing the rest of the screw from the axel and that the launcher blade is fine. With out going into all the detail I am currently waiting for a package that contains a new spring, screw and launcher blade. He never addressed the issue with the stuck screw and stopped answering when I asked for a tracking number.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I expected to do my own repairs with a lifetime warranty? I believe taking the thing apart will void my warranty, right? So I'm pretty annoyed to say the least.

I'll probably post the whole email thread if I don't get this resolved, but just wanted some feedback/ advice here. Currently shooting off of a $9 whisker biscuit- I may not go back馃檭

View attachment 7400393 View attachment 7400395 View attachment 7400396
i had the exact opposite experience in dealing with them. They sent me a brand new one without any questions asked

Registered
I talked to them today.
They're sending a replacement spring and bolt.
Was told they have nobody in house to do this repair.
Fortunately I have the tools to do the repair myself.

I should have asked for replacement.

DK

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to them today.

DK
I called them today as well. The guy finally got back to me after a week and told me he couldn't provide the tracking number because they use USPS (***?). The woman I spoke to today quickly came to the conclusion that the guy I was in contact with sent the wrong parts. I need my axel replaced, so she had that sent along with a new screw and spring. She also briefly walked me through how to fix it. Seems simple enough.

Registered
I talked to them today.

DK
That sums up the bigger issue......they are not built here and no one in their current corporate structure has hands-on knowledge of their product line. Many formerly good small companies....such as Trophy Taker when Dan Evans designed and built the products.....have sold out to larger holding companies that outsource the materials and labor to foreign countries (often China). Arcus owned Obsession, Trophy Taker, Tinks and a few others and their reputation is not sterliing.....to say the least.

In comparison, Hamskea, HHA, QAD, and Ripcord are still run by the American folks who take pride in their products and reputation. I pretty much gave up on TT a couple years ago.....other than some BH's that date back to the good old days.....and it seems the decision was well founded in reality. If you get it fixed OP, I would personally sell it or put in a back-up capacity and move on to one of the above. I've been shooting Hamskea rests for the past few years and they have proven to be bombproof.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sums up the bigger issue......they are not built here and no one in their current corporate structure has hands-on knowledge of their product line. Many formerly good small companies....such as Trophy Taker when Dan Evans designed and built the products.....have sold out to larger holding companies that outsource the materials and labor to foreign countries (often China). Arcus owned Obsession, Trophy Taker, Tinks and a few others and their reputation is not sterliing.....to say the least.

In comparison, Hamskea, HHA, QAD, and Ripcord are still run by the American folks who take pride in their products and reputation. I pretty much gave up on TT a couple years ago.....other than some BH's that date back to the good old days.....and it seems the decision was well founded in reality. If you get it fixed OP, I would personally sell it or put in a back-up capacity and move on to one of the above. I've been shooting Hamskea rests for the past few years and they have proven to be bombproof.
That sounds about right. Its on what will soon be my back up bow. I have a ventum on its way thats getting a hamskea馃槑

Registered
I decided to prep the rest for repair tonight.
All I had to do was support the end of the axle and start drilling
the original end of the broken bolt (not the broken surface) with 5/64" bit.
As soon as the bit took hold it started screwing the bolt out of the axle.
I released the drill trigger and withdrew the bit in one quick motion.
Grabbed the bolt with a pair of needle nose pliers and finished removal.
No damage to the threads & ready to reassemble when the parts arrive.

DK

1 - 20 of 38 Posts