Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what say you, are you a Trophy hunter who only shoots for racks or do you take a little meat in between. Or are you strictly a meat hunter and if a nice rack comes along; bonus.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I prefer to go for racks. But I am pretty well known to take my fair share of does. I donate alot of the meat every year.

·
Registered
559 Posts
strictly a meat hunter and if a nice rack comes along; bonus.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Same for me...

boomersooner78 said:
I'll hunt for racks once the freezer is full.
Meat first... A doe will always taste better anyway!!!!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
horns

horns only on 1 certain 150 acres i lease an then anything on a 450 acre plot an the same on a 80 acre plot . but we have managed that 150 acres for 7 years and for okl we have some real dandies just look at my avatar pic that is the only 2 deer killed there in the last 4 years but we have no 1 huntin within a mile or more of this place but the others are what we call our meat spots to much pressure aruond those places .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Trophy hunter here....but it has to be something bigger than what's already hanging on the wall or it gets passed on. For me the hunt is the challenge of outwitting Mr Big whose instincts and craftyness has gotten him to the point of being the herd bull. These big boy's are a breed all their own...takes different tactics and skills than the inexperienced younger bucks. Trying to hone and adapt my skills to match these big deer is the hunt......meat is simply a byproduct of a successful hunt.

If it's the last day of the season and the freezer is getting low, then I might take a doe for meat.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Rembrandt1 said:
Trophy hunter here....but it has to be something bigger than what's already hanging on the wall or it gets passed on. For me the hunt is the challenge of outwitting Mr Big whose instincts and craftyness has gotten him to the point of being the herd bull. These big boy's are a breed all their own...takes different tactics and skills than the inexperienced younger bucks. Trying to hone and adapt my skills to match these big deer is the hunt......meat is simply a byproduct of a successful hunt.

If it's the last day of the season and the freezer is getting low, then I might take a doe for meat.

I agree.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am in one of the states that offers me the luxury of doing both, I have two doe tags and a Buck tag for archery season. I will try to take both does early then spend my time hunting the rut. :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
option b for me. if it has a nice rack...then that's just icing on the cake. i'm just thankful that i have the opportunity to be out in the woods doing what i love...!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
First priority is to fill freezer..I do most of my hunting in a 2 bucks a day state, but once the freezer is taken care of I let the small racks go.

·
saskarcher
5,124 Posts
racks for me,,, prolongs the hunting season!!
only one tag in this neck of the woods so a person has to use it wisely!!
Limit myself to archery only,,, even in rifle season!!!

if I need food I can always go down to superstore:confused:
its the hunt that counts ,,for me :wink: :cocktail:

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Strictly a meat hunter and if a nice rack comes along; bonus

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Meat Hunter

I hunt for meat first but I can shoot up to four does if I play my cards right, so I do try to hold out for at least 3 year old bucks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
QDM Hunter

I shoot my does early, and then hold out for a trophy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Both for me. If the tags are there, I usually try to fill them. But always hunting for racks during the rut.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts