Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Iv'e been out of archery for some time now but am getting back into it. Im trying to tune my new arrows to a new bow. My specs are below
32.5 draw (33in reality but the nock and inserts make up the distance.)
55# limbs @ 28"
Measures 70# @ 32.5"
I picked up some of the 260 Traditional Barebow shafts from 3Rivers.
Filed Tip weight is 100 grains (the only ones I had in my house from years ago.)

Shooting is okay but not struggling too much. My concern is that the bow shoots right but the bow is centershot/almost past center, but more importantly I'm shooting nock left indicating a weak spine. These are the stiffest spines that 3RIveres offered for this arrow. Ive never even considered dropping grains because 100 is soooo light already. I also can't cut down the arrow because it is already at my min length already.

Besides dropping to 45# limbs, I'm thinking of extending my shelf so that it is LESS centershot. Does this sound like it could adjust for the weak spine indication.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,435 Posts
Dear lord that hurts my shoulder just thinking about it... a 70# one stringer?

But if you must, send it. Black Eagle makes some higher stiffness spines... not in their trad lineup, but look at the Rampage. I think they go to 150 spine.

Personally if I was you, and I did not plan on hunting grizzlies or polar bears or moose and of the other huge game on the planet, particularly those found in Africa, I would go with lighter limbs. Run your specs either way through Victory Archery's online calculator to get a better idea what you might need: ARROW GUIDE

·
(aka lug nut)
51,762 Posts
If you are shooting a release, nock left is NOT a weak spine indication.
if you are shooting 70# @ 32.5" FINGERS compound, and shooting RIGHT HANDED FINGERS Compound,
then, yes, nock left is a weak spine indication.

If you are shooting COMPOUND release,
nock left means you only THINK you are 33 inch draw in reality,
when in reality you are LESS than 33 inch draw...less than 32.5 inch draw.

·
Registered
52,366 Posts
if you are shooting 70# @ 32.5" FINGERS compound, and shooting RIGHT HANDED FINGERS Compound,

N&B he clearly stated he isn't shooting a compound.

·
(aka lug nut)
51,762 Posts
N&B he clearly stated he isn't shooting a compound.
Then, he should increase brace height.
Also, can add brass nocking points to the bowstring, to slow down the bowstring.
Any extra weight on the recurve bowstring, will slow down arrow speed, and make the arrows behave dynamically stiffer. No need to drop point weight on the arrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sorry,
I'm 32.5 /33 Fingers. I'm 6'3 and built like an orangutan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howdy Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I tried the easiest fix first. I have always shot off the shelf and had it set up for this bow, but, it needed an elevated rest. I found a cheap one at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's shooting straight now but the rest is tearing my fletch up. I'll probably get the 45lb limbs anyways and switch out the 100grain tips for heavier ones so I can still use the same arrows. I shot yesterday and today and I can only manage about 20-25 arrows with only 1-2 seconds of pause at full draw. My back tension is trash now and my arms are compensating. I know I can build up to #70 @ 32.5 because I use to shoot 80# but getting old is a real thing. I appreciate the help.
-Dave

·
(aka lug nut)
51,762 Posts
It's for a 64" takedown recurve
Add some brass nocking points to the bowstring. This will slow down the bowstring, and make the arrow behave stiffer.
This is easiest fix. Keep adding brass nocking points until a bareshaft field point arrow hits INSIDE a group of three fletched field points...at 20 yards.

You can increase brace height a little, say 1/8th inch and this reduces power stroke
and should also make the arrow behave dynamically stiffer...for RH recurve shooter, bareshafts will impact more to the left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts