Archery Talk Forum banner

Troubled Decision: Seven 37 or Carnivore

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  pdq 5oh 
#1 ·
My wife is feeling a little generous and said she'd like to consider getting me a new bow since... well, I talk about them a lot or something. I'm 6'5", draw at around 32", and can handle 70#'s.

There are some deals out there due to the time of year, model change up, and brand issues.

I like how the '09 Carnivore "reads," and they are available here on AT... but I have never shot one. Some brand new ones, including the 37" models that can go out to 32" can be had for under $500.

My local archery shop, whom I love, Sells Bowtech, Hoyt, and Fred Bear. The only bow they have right now that fits me is an '09 Hoyt Seven 37... which is super nice, and they're willing to sell for just under $700 ($200 off what they have the bow marked for on the wall).

$200 isn't a small amount. I love the owners of the shop and love supporting them. I have shot the Hoyt and not the Carnivore. Round and round it all goes in my head...

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I used to be a big supporter of Ross but with Bowtech dropping the line I'd be leery of getting parts down the road.. I think Hoyt will be around ..

The 737 will always have better resale especially with Ross out of business

JMO

#6 ·
The Carnivore is a very nice shooting bow. Quiet, decent speed, and very little vibration. The Carnivore tuned easily. Accuracy was very good. I don't think you'll be disappointed in one. To say getting parts will be a problem is wrong. There will be any needed parts for Ross bows in the future. Having not shot the Hoyt I can't compare fairly nor comment on it. Though I can't imagine it's not a very good bow.

#7 ·
To say getting parts will be a problem is wrong. There will be any needed parts for Ross bows in the future.
So Bowtech will spend their days making parts for a defunct bow company?

People can't get limbs or parts..mods.. very easily for the original Ross bows that are barely 3 years old ... Wrong? .. I think not ...

#8 ·
I can't comment on the Ross as I have never shot one, but the 737 is a great bow. I have owned a couple 737's and both were great shooting bows. I also have a couple buddies that have 737's and they both like them as well. One of the best all around bows hoyt has ever made IMHO....... I really wish that hoyt hadn't discontinued it this year.

#14 ·
I have been craving the oppertunity to shoot a Carnivore and today I got my chance. I would have liked to handle the 34 but only the 31 was available. To say the lease, I didnt shoot it. I picked it up and the weight immediately changed my mind. Didn't even bother with shooting a through bullets. The Carnivores are a great deal heavier than what I am acustom to.

#16 ·
I'd get the Hoyt.

When I was in the bow shop getting my son's Diamond, I looked and and drew several bows. The most impressive for the price was the Carnivore. Really liked it, though as stated, it is heavy. That said, you have a wife who wants to get you a bow. (Where can I get one of those, BTW?) You have a local shop that you like, selling a great bow with a warranty, from a stable company that will be around for years to come. I would personally have to hate the Hoyt to consider the Ross in comparison. That particular Ross has some unusual parts to it, though any bow is a pretty reliable system if not abused. The greater resale value of the Hoyt is the last consideration. I personally liked the Carnivore, but in your situation, I'd get the Hoyt, no doubt!:teeth:

#20 ·
When I was in the bow shop getting my son's Diamond, I looked and and drew several bows. The most impressive for the price was the Carnivore. Really liked it, though as stated, it is heavy. That said, you have a wife who wants to get you a bow. (Where can I get one of those, BTW?) You have a local shop that you like, selling a great bow with a warranty, from a stable company that will be around for years to come. I would personally have to hate the Hoyt to consider the Ross in comparison. That particular Ross has some unusual parts to it, though any bow is a pretty reliable system if not abused. The greater resale value of the Hoyt is the last consideration. I personally liked the Carnivore, but in your situation, I'd get the Hoyt, no doubt!:teeth:
Everything he said, and the 737 is just a great shooting all around bow.

Ted

#18 ·
Well Bowtech is currently producing a run of Bowtech Carnivores, the 31" model, for Hunter'sFriend. Apparently it was all designed and manufactured by Bowtech, and marketed under the Ross by Bowtech brand.

So, at least some of the parts will be available through Bowtech, and under warranty... both because of the new run of the same bow, and because of the "by Bowtech" on the originals.

Knowing that Bowtech is pretty stable, and I've heard that their customer service is pretty good, I imagine the Carnivores will have parts and remain serviceable.

Hoyt is, well, Hoyt. It's just good all around, from my understanding.

Trying to be wise with resources and to assess my needs with value is causing much of the issue.

#19 ·
Specs below... which may be interesting/matter... or not.

PSE Diamondback L3 (Current Bow)

Model # 0207L3
Let-Off: 80/60%
Bow Weight: 3.4lb
IBO Speed: 305fps
Axle to Axle: 36-1/2in
Brace Height: 6-3/4in

Prospect #1 Hoyt Seven 37

Weight ranges 40-50lbs, 50-60lbs, 60-70lbs, 70-80lbs. Please specify weight required. All bows are adjustable 10lbs down from the peak draw weight.
Draw range 24"-32.5"
Wheel Cam & 1/2 Plus
Limbs XT 1000
Let-Off 65-75%
IBO Speed 313fps
Axle to Axle 37"
Brace height 7.25"
Mass weight 4.6lbs

Prospect # 2 Ross Carnivore 34 (Though I’d be looking at the 37” model)

MSRP: $699 Draw Length: 25”-30” *
Cams: Hybrid cam w/ The Krank
Draw Weight: 50, 60, 70*
Limbs: Composite solid limb
Brace Height: 7 3/8” *
Grip: One-piece slim line grip
Axle to Axle: 34” *
Let-off: 65%-80%*
Mass Weight: 4.8 ^ (the 31" is 4.1 lbs, so I imagine the 37" is over 5 lbs.)

#28 ·
Case closed.

Well everybody, thanks for all of the discussion and input. My wife grew tired of my decision making process, read the posts, asked me tough questions, made me take her out on a date... long story short, she decided for me saying it was her choice in how she wanted to spend her money and what she wanted to give me.

So, if I still want to have a Carnivore in the future, I'll just have to save up my own money and bide the time whilst shooting a Hoyt Seven 37. Uh, darn?

Yes, she's that good. ... and that good to me.

Thanks again, everybody!:yo:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.