Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been using the tru ball pro diamond for about a year now and i've had good success with it. however a few weeks ago while practicing i loaded an arrow and got about half way through my draw cycle when the release let go. i thought i had inadvertently bumped the thumb trigger. i looked everything over and decided to load another arrow. same thing...this time i popped myself in the chin and opened it up. that felt good. i then noticed that my loop had frayed a bit and also noticed that there was a small gap between between the jaws of the release...maybe 1/32". never noticed the gap before. could the loop be squeezing through the gap?

anyway, i replaced the loop and reluctantly loaded another arrow. everything was fine. so i called tru ball and the tech told me that the release was designed to have a small gap so as to not chew up loops. he said to back out the sensitivity screw if it does it again. does it again! that fricken hurt when i punched myself with 70lbs of force. i'm lucky i didn't knock teeth out. the tech had no reaction. as of today i haven't used my pro diamond. has anyone experienced this with their pro diamond? specifically the gap?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I had been using the same one for about 4 years and never had that problem.

It really sounds like the sensitivity screw got moved some how on you.

·
Treestand Assassin
3,079 Posts
I own 2 of them and neither has a gap.
I have had to adjust the sensativity screw bc it backs out after a while, but it always goes the other way and tightens the jaws.
I have noticed it will fray the loop just slightly, but not enough to cut it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a Pro Diamond and I also have a small gap between the jaws. I have had it since February and I shoot about 10-15 hours a weeks and I have never had an issue with it. I have a Tru Ball trigger release with the same head on it and the sensitivity screw back out or went in (i forget which way does what) and I zinged an arrow into the woods. I would say try adjusting that screw and make sure you loctite it like the directions say. I think you can get the adjustment instructions right off their website

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
tru ball diamond

I did the same thing but thankfully didn't hit myself in the face. The tiny screw needs to be turned down not out. You can back it all the way out and see that you can open the jaws easily with your fingernails, then adjust it down to make it tighter. I had trouble with the release after buying it used off here on the AT classifieds. I wound up sending it back to the company and they rebuilt/lubed it and sent it back to me no ?'s asked. Great customer service.

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out the loop material was just a little smaller than normal and after awhile it wore down to where it was slipping through the jaws. I contacted Tru-ball and they sent me the loop material that they reccomend. I used it and never had another problem. LC

·
Premium Member
4,457 Posts
I have that problem with mine! I quit shooting it! I have seen this problem with alot of Tru-Ball releases! I think they have a real quality problem. I don't trust the brand anymore! I will send this release back and get rid of it when it comes back! This makes three releases from Tru-Ball that I have had that everyone had the same problem! Guess I'll stick with Carter's and Scott releases.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have had one for three years now and it hasent been a problem. the only problem i run into from time to time is that screws that hold the swivel head on come loose, i just tighten them down and i am good for another year. I would say send it back to them to take a look at, it maybe something inside has gotten worn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts