Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has experience shooting a TruBall Trail Boss with the Heavy Trigger setting on the release. How heavy feeling is it? Comparable to a Carter Insatiable2 with 2 or 4 125pd springs in the trigger?

Looking for a TruBall release that I can set heavy on the trigger with NO play in it whatsoever.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Mau, I just got my Chappy's back from Tru. I had them put heavy springs in all of them . Man what a difference, I have never shot the Carter's but I can tell you there is a noticable differnce between the stock springs and the heavys. I will never shoot the stock ones again.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya out of the box I can't even shoot a TruBall release. Or Carter. Wonder why companies just don't put heavier trigger springs in to begin with.

Curious if you know what weight springs they put in for you.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
They don't have a weight in pounds. I talked to Ben about it and he told me they take a spring and a half and wind in down to the size of one spring. It is a bit though.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
problem i had with my trail boss is inconsistancy in the trigger. seems like one time its like a hair trigger and the next it takes a ton of pressure. i have an insatiable 2 as well and it goes off same point every time. if it was a very small difference with the trail boss it wouldnt be a big deal, but it seems to be a large difference in shot times. any one else notice this on the trail boss?? easton94

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Mau said:
Looking for a TruBall release that I can set heavy on the trigger with NO play in it whatsoever.
Do you squeeze it directly with your thumb, or do you slowly squeeze your ring and pinky fingers and indirectly trip it (with a relaxed thumb)?

I recently switched to ring and pinkie pressure and no longer view my releases as being overly sensitive, although I wouldn't mind if they had heavier springs. I also no longer notice trigger creep, another bonus.

kgk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OH I believe I use more contact pressure on my ring and pinky finger while releaxing my wrist and forearm. I wrap my thumb around trigger post and touch it too the tip of my index finger. Most releases go off right away when I wrap my thumb around trigger to set preload on it. Or if they are set heavy enough for me to wrap thunmb around I can feel the trigger collapsing during shot process and then I'm doomed :eek:

Maybe I'll just stick with triggerless releases cuz there's no trigger's to move or internal parts to fail(I've had enough of that :mad: ) Only my brain can fail then :p I just feel I get tighter groups with a thumb trigger release vs. a Triggerless which I've shot 95% of the time for over 3 years now. :rolleyes:

:cool:

·
Registered
450 Posts
mau,

i also gave up on anything with a trigger what so ever, for the same reason...... eventually i know i'm going to jump on it, and just works away at you while you're trying to get the little dot to stay still.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Mau said:
I wrap my thumb around trigger post and touch it too the tip of my index finger.
I have recently been lowering the cylinder so it touches the *BASE* of my thumb, and I have real trouble feeling it---but be careful as you will shoot some arrows off by accident until you get used to this.

In fact, I can switch back-and-forth between a "thumb" and "back tension" release with no change in the way that I use it, except for a rough correction to how fast I apply pressure.

While I do use movement of the scapula for a recurve, I've stopped doing that on a compound.

kgk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I have tried it with the pin in the other hole (heavy setting). In that configuration it is zero travel and unbelievably stiff. I can't shoot it that stiff - heck I can barely get it to shoot just holding it in my hand... put me at full draw and it isn't possible for me to trigger the release.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HMMMM maybe that's what I'm looking for :p Worth taking a look at for sure. If only I had a shop around here that actually had some to try. I'll have to buy then try :rolleyes: Thanks for the info SuperX ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SuperX,

Thanks for the offer. Would love to try it out but...We have a shoot here in Kenosha Wisco this weekend I'll be at. 900 round Saturday and International V-Round Sunday.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SuperX,

Have you been shooting the Trail Boss for awhile now? Overall how do you like it? Talon head? Too much curve in the handle or is it just right? Compared to Chappy Boss or Extreme?

Good luck this weekend....

:cool:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I switched from the Extreme to the trail boss because I always liked the ultra4 handle and because I have a sweetspot ultra 4 that is the same handle and head length. I have the talon head on the Trail Boss.

That said, I recently switched to 3 fingers on the handle because it made things hold and release better for me, so the extra sweep of that handle style is kind of lost on me now.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More ?'s :eek: How about the difference in draw length feel from the Extreme to the Trail Boss :confused: Noticeable or not a big deal ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Mau,
If you like the Extreme but want the Trail Boss handle, try the Ultra Extreme because that is exactly what it is. I have two and I love them. I have sold all my Carters and put my Zeniths away....at least for now :D.

Crystal, see you this weekend!!

Shootin Str8

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Mau, I found it a bit longer in the draw length department but for me it wasn't a big deal. The place I do notice it is on my 31" A-2-A hunting bow - I keep my Extreme for hunting now and use my SweetSpot as my backup to the Trail Boss.

Scott, See you at Lester!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts