Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your one of those guys that camp out in back of your truck in the camper top post some pics of your creations. I'm looking into this vs using my tent like usual to stay more mobile since I'm almost always solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I ve hunted out of my trucks camper many times in the past. Great way to be Mobil and comfortable. Don't have any pics but what I had was just a camper shell. I cut two 2X4 s the width of the camper and put a piece of plywood on top of those about 3 1/2 wide for a bed . That way I could put stuff underneath . Worked great.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a Toyota Tacoma with a shell, made a platform and carpet it, lots of ways to build them. The DAC truck tent is a sweet addition to the shell and platform http://1dac.com/trucks.html

I like this set up for a few days hunt on new land so I can stay mobile, would love to have a Ford F-250 with a slide in camper, I will someday.

But the yota is paid for and gets 26, mpg with the 4 banger and is 4WD.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I ve hunted out of my trucks camper many times in the past. Great way to be Mobil and comfortable. Don't have any pics but what I had was just a camper shell. I cut two 2X4 s the width of the camper and put a piece of plywood on top of those about 3 1/2 wide for a bed . That way I could put stuff underneath . Worked great.
I did the same thing, worked great, having the storage below the plywood bed was a plus.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for creating this thread, I've been thinking about doing the same thing next fall when I'm checking out a new hunting area. I'm anxious to see what ideas folks have come up with.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not quite a camper shell but, I am a huge fan of the slide-in camper. With the 3-place 4-wheeler trailer hung on the back, we're set to get pretty far back when hunting and still get a good night's sleep. Also, the trailer is light enough that I can hitch it to the back of my 4-wheeler and get it even further back to help haul out that huge elk, if needed. FYI - this is public land hunting. God I love Montana. :grin:
2013-08-25_08-43-00_556.jpg

Some views of why we call this the "Last Best Place"
2013-08-25_08-42-33_952.jpg

2013-08-25_12-45-22_267.jpg

2013-08-24_14-17-01_651.jpg

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Toyota Tacoma with a shell, made a platform and carpet it, lots of ways to build them. The DAC truck tent is a sweet addition to the shell and platform http://1dac.com/trucks.html

I like this set up for a few days hunt on new land so I can stay mobile, would love to have a Ford F-250 with a slide in camper, I will someday.

But the yota is paid for and gets 26, mpg with the 4 banger and is 4WD.
Any pics of your setup? Looking for ideas to tackle something similar with my truck.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Any pics of your setup? Looking for ideas to tackle something similar with my truck.
Drive one first. My neighbor put a big ole camper on a new F-250 or F350 and the ride was so bad he quickly sold it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Drive one first. My neighbor put a big ole camper on a new F-250 or F350 and the ride was so bad he quickly sold it.
Probably didn't put the stabilizers on it that he needed to. See mine above. If you set it up properly, the slide-ins are awesome to get you part-ways back. That truck in my post above is an F-350. Got it setup to sit level going down the road and drives like a champ. We get into some pretty tight places with that rig.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is awesome. I always wanted to do this with my son. He's ten now. I never actually thought that I'm the only one to to ever think of this but I guess I never thought that it was a "thing" or that ppl actually did this lol. I do need to do this before he's too big or too cool. Can't believe he's ten already. Great thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Coors Light Pro Staff
1,694 Posts
That's a house on wheels Poison Arrow! Very nice!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bruce have you ever had any issues with being cold sleeping in the bed or does the carpet pretty well insulate you from the updraft under the bed?

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
Bruce have you ever had any issues with being cold sleeping in the bed or does the carpet pretty well insulate you from the updraft under the bed?
The BedRug provides some unsulation and makes for a nice finished look however, if you look you'll see a custom made foam mattress under the sleeping bag. I tried the TruckBedzz exactly once...transferred cold quite effectively.

The custom mattress made all that misery go away and is thick and dense enough I don't bottom out unless I'm standing on it. Don't use an uninsulated air mattress, they suck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The BedRug provides some unsulation and makes for a nice finished look however, if you look you'll see a custom made foam mattress under the sleeping bag. I tried the TruckBedzz exactly once...transferred cold quite effectively.
That's also been my experience with an air mattress. You need more insulation under you than over you to stay warm.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Here's a home-made one I use at trailhead before I hike into the higher country. IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0017.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts