Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some answers...
I have been shooting bows for roughly 10 years and have always heard the same thing, a bow performs its best at its max weight. So I myself has always ordered a 70lbs bow and maxed it out at the 70lbs. Believing that this is in fact true and hoping to get the most out of my setup.

Secondly pulling the 70lbs isnt the issue but, can I really get away with my bow performing just as good if I back the limbs out to 65lbs??

Looking to increase accuracy and have my rig perform at its best, let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I have always heard this also, but IMO I don't beleave its true. My target setup last year was a 70lbs Monster 7 set at 28" dl @ 58 lbs. The bow would hit where you wanting it to as long as you could hold it there. I beleave its more of the shooter then the bow. But hey that's my opinion.

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
That was true back in the day when limb pockets were not as advanced as they are now, not so much now a days.
That and cam efficiency.
I have tested dozens of different bows at max draw wt. and backed off, not an issue now days.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hmmm. My Mathews dealer told me that the Monsters ae the most sensitive to being at lower poundage. Said that every 70# they order people end up shooting at 65 or less and they loose a lot because they gain brace height quick. Is this just BS to get me to buy one of his 60# monster cause he didn't have any 70s?

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,935 Posts
It is TRUE. Miniscual but true...

You won't be able to tell the difference unless you back the limbs out to much, but it's true.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too thought it was BS, but I just wanted to know before I start backing it out.

·
32,772 Posts
From all I've read the answer is false. These new bows are fine at just about any lbs. within the 10lbs that are recommended. Maxed out, according to Elite should be turned down a quarter of a turn. I turned mine down 3/4 of a turn today and it appears to be just as fast as it ever was......

·
Back Yard Champion
31,547 Posts
I'd give it a false. With today's bows having better and closer tolerances that pretty much goes out the door, but when speaking with manufacturers I believe they say "better accuracy off the wall." Well, today we have draw stop timing that give a pretty solid wall and adjustable draw stops that give rock hard walls. Here is where having the bow set to your draw length in paramount. You creep off the wall a bit and accuracy diminishes.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
It is false and has allways been. The bow will have the most stored energy yes. Perform the best as in shoot the best only if you are very lucky. To shoot the best the bow and arrows need to be tuned to each other. Arrows by point weight and length among other things the bow with draw weight.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Back in late 80's and early I shot Browning mirages when they first came. I had a 70 pounder and an eighty pounder. If I had the 70 set on 70 pounds and the 80 set on 70, the 70 pounder would shoot about 5or 6 fps faster than the 80 backed off,. but these new bows are different so it might not matter as much. We need someone at a bow shop to check this out to satisfy some curiosities. LOL

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you know that the limbs are at the most effcient prebend position/the cams are at the design best DL for those limbs---then yes but if your adjustable Dl cams are less than that DL and the Mfg put on a pair of fits all purposes limbs----then it is pointless to concern about something that isn't the most efficient to start with---

The best effort you can make is to spend the time getting the arrows you choose to fly best at a DW that is near what you really want to shoot at
Even if the bow was most efficient at 70 lbs--and the shafts you choose were best at 68 lbs the stress created would defeat the efficiency of the 70lbs---when the efficiency of 2lbs less would be higher in the real world of arrow flight

Good shoot'n
Cec

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
When dealing with archery and bows every 1/4" inch, Ft per sec, and efficiency matters. Therefore it was true and still is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts