Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else feel like the new TRX 34 is going to be under appreciated for how versatile it’s going to be? I already know that I’m thinking of getting it heavily vs whatever hunting bows they make this year, could be the perfect crossover bow that I just switch bars and sights on when it comes to hunting season and shaves about a grand off of the price of getting the 2021 hunting bow AND a target bow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
A lot of people shoot the Traverse for 3D. I’m still hoping there will be a 34” Traverse this year with switch weights. If that’s the new flagship hunting bow, it will be $100’s less than the TRX34 and much more affordable for a lot more people. These new target bows are getting ridiculous in price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of people shoot the Traverse for 3D. I’m still hoping there will be a 34” Traverse this year with switch weights. If that’s the new flagship hunting bow, it will be $100’s less than the TRX34 and much more affordable for a lot more people. These new target bows are getting ridiculous in price.
I absolutely cannot argue with that, I’m relatively new to the game, I’ve only been shooting about a year and a half so these crazy pricetags they put on the target bows are all I’ve really know

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel a lot of people will like it as a do it all bow, but it is bigger than I would want to use for hunting

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Since there is already a 28" SwitchWeight bow (VXR28), a 30" SwitchWeight bow (VXR), and a 32" SwitchWeight bow (VXR 31.5), it would seem a 34" version would be warranted. However, I can't see Mathews introducing bows that would compete for the same market since either would be a cross-over bow and the SwitchWeight would have a bit larger following for a lower price; the only TRX34 they would sell would be the 50# version.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
There is no 30” switch weight model. Only the 28 and 31.5
The Triax and Vertix were replaced with the VXR28 and VXR31.5
The Traverse has been in production for two years and Mathews typically discontinues after two years so I expect some sort of replacement for the 33” ATA

·
Registered
652 Posts
I’ve been dreaming of a big cam’d 34-35” bow since the Wake and thought (hoped) this would be the year with the Traverse likely going away.

As much as I’d like seeing that, I no longer think it will happen. I can’t see Mathews releasing a longer VXR that would compete with the TRX34. Especially since they put quiver mounting brackets on the 34. My guess is we’ll see a 30” VXR or whatever they name it. So yeah, a “Vertix 2”.

That would give them a 28.5, 30, 31.5, 34, 36, 38, and 40.

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
You are correct. My apologies....had a senior moment there. :rolleyes:
The Vertix replaced the 30” Halon
...and my original post I had my own senior moment when I called the 30" a VXR when I knew it was the Vertix...happens to the best of us from time to time...

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I think if Mathews builds it people will buy it no matter what the price is. Heard talk last night at practice that one of my ladies is considering going from the TRX 38 to the TRX 34. I shot the Traverse and shot it well. The Engage grip did not agree with me and went to side plates. The plates were a huge improvement. Never have had problems with Mathews. They seem to be dominating target archery and a lot of hunting shows on TV. I will wait on a possible 34 in the classified section. The 36 seems to be about half price and they go quick.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
The problem is, one of the big draws for the Traverse was how smooth and easy drawing it was. The change to switchweight cams would just make it another stiff drawing 34” bow! Not a fan of the draw cycle on any of the switchweight models, but I also have old shoulders..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Real curious on the draw cycle of the TRX 34. Cams look quite a bit smaller than the Traverse which usually means harder pull. I definitely wouldn't pay new price on one, just insanity. So I guess if you are already shooting a Traverse (I am currently) I'm not seeing a reason to get a TRX 34. Need to get my hands on one though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
As a crossover, the 34 sounds better in theory than perhaps it will be in practice. The BH isn’t much better than the traverse, the A-A is similar and you can get 75% mods for the traverse too. Very short draw target archers would likely be better off with the 34 than traverse due to risers design (less reflex), but if you have a more average draw, a 34” bow is likely to be far from ideal if seeking max stability and forgiveness. If your draw is super short, then you’d probably want a smaller hunting bow!

Real curious on the draw cycle of the TRX 34. Cams look quite a bit smaller than the Traverse which usually means harder pull. I definitely wouldn't pay new price on one, just insanity. So I guess if you are already shooting a Traverse (I am currently) I'm not seeing a reason to get a TRX 34. Need to get my hands on one though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I keep telling myself how expensive they are, and how I need to find a new-old-stock Traverse. But I chose the Black 3 over the Traverse in the first place, so buying one would seem sortof silly.

I shot the TRX34 this weekend. It’s smooth, for sure, but the one I shotwas set at 75% letoff and seemed like a short/narrow valley. Supposedly the other mods are a little more forgiving?

And I HAVE a big-axle 33” in the Black 3... a 35 or 36” would make more sence. But than none of the ‘crossover’ features like on the TRX34...

Gonna be an interest year.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If you’ve never shot a TRX I’d assume the draw cycle is about the same. Pretty dang smooth

·
Registered
382 Posts
As a Traverse shooter, I cannot see moving to the TRX 34. Love my Traverse and the only reason I bought it was the meer fact, that as a knuckle dragger, I have a 31.5 inch bow. Specs on the TRX 34 only show it going out to like 28.5 or 29 inches if I remember correctly. Switchweight or not a new 33 or 34 with the longer riser platform like the VXR 31.5 will be in my arsenal if they release it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts