Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a major issue with my mod screws staying tight on my 36. I have applied loctite and they still come loose. One came loose and broke off inside my cam so my bottom Cam only has two screws currently. Today while shooting on the course I had to constantly retighten my mod screws. I had heard somewhere that Mathews gave all pros new cams/mods for this same problem. Has anyone else had this be an issue on the new 36? I’m taking it to my local dealer this week. Mathews wouldn’t talk to me when I contacted them about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I had the issue on my 40 when I first got it. I put a new mod on and I stripped a bolt. Had to drill it out then put a new set of screws on and it’s been okay since then. It’s been okay but every now and then I’ll have to tighten them back down. I’d talk to your shop and see if you can send it back for warranty work.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve never had to worry about mod screws coming loose on any of my other Mathews bows.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I’ve had to retighten my screws so many times and they came loose so much while shooting it has stripped out the inside of my cams and will no longer tighten.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have shot TRX 8, 7, 38 and now 36. I never had this problem happen to any of them. Did you buy your TRX 36 new or used?

If you brought it new, your dealer should be able to get it fixed under warranty. Mathews would prolly have to send your dealer a new set of Cams because the mod screw hole is stripped.

If you brought it used... you can have your deal order a new set of cams. of course you would have to pay for it since it is not under warranty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it new and it’s been an issue the whole time I’ve had it and it’s progressively gotten worse over time. Taking it to a dealer today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Noticed mine doing it today. Top cam, while shooting all the sudden I felt something weird like a it was grinding. Luckily I felt it when drawing and let down. Screw rubbed the inside of limb with minimal damage. Only screw that wasn’t loose looked like it had been cross threaded in. Still a big fan of the bow. Just gonna keep a close eye on it for now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is an issue which seems to always be the top cam! I to had the problem with a 36 (new from factory) and also after changing mods using new screws.I'm thinking it has to do with the location of the screws being on the lower end of the mod. So far my 40 has been OK but I check them often. Mods also are an issue, had 28" 80's and bow was holding 11#, switched to 28.5 and it went to 16#.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine started in my top cam and it got better but then went to bottom cam and got much worse. Mathews is replacing both cams and mods.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought I had this sorted and now it seems to be coming back again and again with my bottom cam/mod. I don't want to tighten it up too hard and end up stripping the thing. I even tried blue threadlock, but it still ended up coming loose! I'm trying one more time and then will have to speak to my dealer. I have two TRX40s; one earlier one and one later one. It is only happening on the earlier one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Me too. Love the bow, but have been fighting mod screws. Too small, strip easily and won’t stay tight.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yep mod screw broke off while shooting it. I have 4 Mathews and this trx 40 has something going on. Had to purchase a new bottom cam $140. Mathews should have taken care of it. Being I m second owner it was a no go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts