Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both arrows are fletched with 4inch RH turkey feathers and both are flying great, I haven't used aluminum in 15 years but like the quiet factor and not overly concerned about durability. Most shots will be under 40 yards

The GT have been my go-to for the last 5 years, little faster and obviously have the durability factor

Torn between which to use, bows are hoyt double XL's , 30 inches, 60-62lbs and shoot the 2315 at 240, while the GT are are showing 263

Will be running a fixed blade head and/or spitfire MAXX for the heads in 100 grains

Whats everyone's opinion

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
No contest for me. Gold Tips.

I don't have any love for a hunting arrow fatter than about 5/16" (.312").
Don't love the REALLLL skinny ones either.
Currently playing around with Hexxs and Spartans and liking them so far.
I guess I'm pretty finicky that way.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I have been looking at the same thing. I have been using the GT 340 but have been looking at a set of 2314 I have. I have always used aluminums till about 10 years ago then went to carbons after finding a less than straight aluminum in my quiver. My thoughts on aluminums is they are quieter, fly better, but also the added weight. On some setups next to swamps or private property I like to use larger expandables, but with reducing my poundage which in turn my arrow speeds the last few years has me concerned.
This afternoon I am going to check my arrow speeds with my reduced poundage and concider the change.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Did Carbons 2 years (killed 5 animals) & went back to Aluminums for targets & hunting.. They are just better in my opinion.

·
XX78 User
4,942 Posts
I'd shoot the 2315s. I shoot a similar setup with XX78 2315s. It's not even close if you compare the straightness and weight specs to the GT arrow.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I have been looking at the same thing. I have been using the GT 340 but have been looking at a set of 2314 I have. I have always used aluminums till about 10 years ago then went to carbons after finding a less than straight aluminum in my quiver. My thoughts on aluminums is they are quieter, fly better, but also the added weight. On some setups next to swamps or private property I like to use larger expandables, but with reducing my poundage which in turn my arrow speeds the last few years has me concerned.
This afternoon I am going to check my arrow speeds with my reduced poundage and concider the change.
I have to disagree with your contention that aluminums are quieter, as long as we're comparing equal weight arrows.
That is contrary to my experience.
Arrow weight is what quiets the bow noise.

And if you bump them against something aluminums ring like a bell; carbons don't.
(Yeah, I know- so don't bump them against something!)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Both arrows are good. I prefer carbon with my compound but still shoot aluminum out of a few recurves. That said i killed a lot of deer with a 2315 before i ever shot carbon. I took 9 with a single 2315.

·
When's bow season start?
8,927 Posts
I've gone back and forth between aluminums and carbons but decided to stick with aluminums about 5-6 years ago. I simply prefer them. I will be using XX75 2213's with 100 grain heads out of my Evo and just retuned my old Buckmasters 2000 and hope to take an early-season meat doe with 30" 2514's and 125 grain Wensel Woodsman broadheads.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
I have to disagree with your contention that aluminums are quieter, as long as we're comparing equal weight arrows.

And if you bump them against something aluminums ring like a bell; carbons don't.
That's correct no doubt but who shoot's 525+ grain carbons...…..lol. Don't get me wrong people do but most people shooting carbon arrows are much closer to 400 than 500. So yes he's wrong but kinda' right too.

I shoot aluminums for a lot of other reasons than just the weight. If I were shooting light arrows for me (under 500) I would shoot carbon but since I like heavy arrows the aluminum are much better. Spec's, easier to work on, easier to pull from my 3D targets, no flexing and many other reasons I hate to spend typing out again and again...…...lol

·
Registered
678 Posts
For nearly all nostalgia's sake I fletched up some XX75 2315 Camo Hunters I had with the intention of just flinging them around in the backyard and after one shooting session I decided to make them this year's hunting arrow. Three 3" Fusion X vanes easily steer a Magnus Black Hornet with a total arrow weight of 542ish grains. Straightness is phenomenal as well as weight tolerance, but we shall see if the durability is as bad or as good as I remember from my high school aluminum days.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent a good bit of time shooting both today and landed on the 2315 with a 100 grain ser razor head , the bow is significantly quieter, more consistent and the biggest surprise was at 40 did not drop off as much as I anticipated, liking the feathers and aluminium combination as well

·
Registered
7,562 Posts

My comparison was the heavy aluminum arrows being slower and quieter than the lighter fast moving carbons. I would never weigh down a carbon arrow.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,510 Posts
2315s, aluminum arrows.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pic of the rig

Here is the final product all rigged out and ready to go

Attachments

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
For nearly all nostalgia's sake I fletched up some XX75 2315 Camo Hunters I had with the intention of just flinging them around in the backyard and after one shooting session I decided to make them this year's hunting arrow. Three 3" Fusion X vanes easily steer a Magnus Black Hornet with a total arrow weight of 542ish grains. Straightness is phenomenal as well as weight tolerance, but we shall see if the durability is as bad or as good as I remember from my high school aluminum days.
I'll refresh your memory......lol. I shoot these all the time. If you group shoot you will ding any aluminum arrow, if you miss targets they "might" bend depending on what they hit. If you shoot deer with them many many times they don't bend at all. I would say I bend one in every 10 arrows hunting with them.

I broke more carbons than I bent aluminums. The reason I think is the heavier aluminums go through so fast and stick in the ground the only time they really bend is hitting really hard bone at a bad angle. But the carbons (or at least the light ones I shot) wouldn't go through and the animals would break them off many times because the stayed in them most times. So while they are tougher under those circumstances many times they break more often.

The reason people think aluminums bend easy is like I said they group shoot, miss targets. The other reason is towards the end of their haydays everyone was into arrow speed and the ONLY way to get a light aluminum arrow was to make it thinner walled and bigger in diameter. Take a beer can and bend it in your hand. Then take a say an 8 ounce tin can for tomato sauce and bend that...…..big difference.

So again in the end many people were shooting 2312, 2512, 2412, 2413 etc and those arrows are easy to bend...…..then when the tougher carbons came out they were being compared to the most brittle aluminums ever made...….so the difference was night & day.

That big difference formed a lot of the opinions still out there today......and even though it's not really accurate many minds will never be changed. I know for a fact the XX15, XX16, XX17, XX18, XX19 and tougher than many many people think and more than many will ever know...…...lol

·
When's bow season start?
8,927 Posts
I'll refresh your memory......lol. I shoot these all the time. If you group shoot you will ding any aluminum arrow, if you miss targets they "might" bend depending on what they hit. If you shoot deer with them many many times they don't bend at all. I would say I bend one in every 10 arrows hunting with them.

I broke more carbons than I bent aluminums. The reason I think is the heavier aluminums go through so fast and stick in the ground the only time they really bend is hitting really hard bone at a bad angle. But the carbons (or at least the light ones I shot) wouldn't go through and the animals would break them off many times because the stayed in them most times. So while they are tougher under those circumstances many times they break more often.

The reason people think aluminums bend easy is like I said they group shoot, miss targets. The other reason is towards the end of their haydays everyone was into arrow speed and the ONLY way to get a light aluminum arrow was to make it thinner walled and bigger in diameter. Take a beer can and bend it in your hand. Then take a say an 8 ounce tin can for tomato sauce and bend that...…..big difference.

So again in the end many people were shooting 2312, 2512, 2412, 2413 etc and those arrows are easy to bend...…..then when the tougher carbons came out they were being compared to the most brittle aluminums ever made...….so the difference was night & day.

That big difference formed a lot of the opinions still out there today......and even though it's not really accurate many minds will never be changed. I know for a fact the XX15, XX16, XX17, XX18, XX19 and tougher than many many people think and more than many will ever know...…...lol
I agree 100%. The aluminums I "dinged" shooting groups were the carbons I cracked doing the same. And I know my pass-thrus are substantially higher shooting 450+ grain aluminums than I ever got with 415 or less grains carbons. No matter the diameter.

And I've mostly shot either 2213's or 2314's (with some 2016's shot out of my old Hoyt Raider round wheeler). I'm looking forward to seeing how the 30" XX75 2514's I set up will do this fall. They shot 125 grain Wensel Woodsman heads great out to 25 yards, which is far enough for the heavy stuff I hunt in. Even with NAP Twister vanes.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
I agree 100%. The aluminums I "dinged" shooting groups were the carbons I cracked doing the same. And I know my pass-thrus are substantially higher shooting 450+ grain aluminums than I ever got with 415 or less grains carbons. No matter the diameter.

And I've mostly shot either 2213's or 2314's (with some 2016's shot out of my old Hoyt Raider round wheeler). I'm looking forward to seeing how the 30" XX75 2514's I set up will do this fall. They shot 125 grain Wensel Woodsman heads great out to 25 yards, which is far enough for the heavy stuff I hunt in. Even with NAP Twister vanes.

+1 I can tell you have walked the walk......lol. I have NOTHING against folks that like lighter arrows and there's no hiding I prefer heavy but that said they each act differently and I just like to keep putting the truth out and let's folks decide from there. I can tell you have really used both because your words mirror exactly what I have seen over 40 years of bowhunting as well.

Since I rarely shoot past 20 yards this year I'm shooting 2317's and they weigh 565 grains. They launch like a dream and the sound is insanely quiet and the vibe is null. If you have shot these heavy arrows IMHO the feel is part of the reason I do...….it just feels like nothing happened until they smack the target. With the light arrows it's more like a controlled explosion more than a "launch" you feel as the arrow leaves the bow.

Again I get the light arrow thing....better trajectory and (for most people set up correctly) still plenty of oomph to get things done.....but until you have launched a heavy arrow off a inherently quiet bow with cat whiskers killing any and all string vibe you can't knock us for loving that feeling...…..lol

Then if you are getting close to game say 30 yards or less what's the point of a 280 FPS hunting rig that's louder and has less penetration? So set the rig up for you and the way it serves you best.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Well obviously you're going to get the guys like Perry and I that have tried everything under the sun and purposely choose aluminum day in day out. And then the carbon guys, same thing. There's pros/cons to both and the thin is where one excel's the other may not but when you consider absolutely everything it all comes down to how you prioritize that list. For me, quality is #1 and price/affordability is #2. So that means that I can go out and buy the best carbon shaft there is and see amazing quality but ten I've destroyed my bank account and my wife changes the locks....All jokes aside, you simply cannot find the quality of craftsmanship you get from aluminum in a low cost carbon. And that's because it is much harder to work with carbon therefore it costs more. Those aren't arguments they are facts. Now, we get to the opinion/personal side of the list #3 structural integrity/durability. Here's where guys that have shot super thin wall'ed aluminum's have misconstrued things; aluminum shafts aren't any stronger or weaker than carbon. Take a 500 spine thin wall carbon and it won't last any longer than a 2114 xx75. One cracks the other bends; same diff. Take a thick wall 2317 or 2219 and put it up against the same spine carbon and it's 50/50 which lasts longer. Again, crack vs bend. FWIW at least with a bend you can get a spine tester/straightener and recover the shaft is for the very least to use as a small game arrow. 90% of the time I get them back to factory straightness. If you really want crazy durable get yourself a duplex insert and add an internal footer! I've successfully shot my 2317's in a cinder block with a Duplex Insert system without breaking it. I only know of 2 brands of carbon arrows that can sustain that same impact and they most certainly aren't 5$ a shaft like my 2317's are ;)

The real consideration is do you want the weight or not. If you're like me to welcome it because it creates a more lethal arrow.

·
When's bow season start?
8,927 Posts
+1 I can tell you have walked the walk......lol. I have NOTHING against folks that like lighter arrows and there's no hiding I prefer heavy but that said they each act differently and I just like to keep putting the truth out and let's folks decide from there. I can tell you have really used both because your words mirror exactly what I have seen over 40 years of bowhunting as well.

Since I rarely shoot past 20 yards this year I'm shooting 2317's and they weigh 565 grains. They launch like a dream and the sound is insanely quiet and the vibe is null. If you have shot these heavy arrows IMHO the feel is part of the reason I do...….it just feels like nothing happened until they smack the target. With the light arrows it's more like a controlled explosion more than a "launch" you feel as the arrow leaves the bow.

Again I get the light arrow thing....better trajectory and (for most people set up correctly) still plenty of oomph to get things done.....but until you have launched a heavy arrow off a inherently quiet bow with cat whiskers killing any and all string vibe you can't knock us for loving that feeling...…..lol

Then if you are getting close to game say 30 yards or less what's the point of a 280 FPS hunting rig that's louder and has less penetration? So set the rig up for you and the way it serves you best.
I still shoot 2213’s out of my Evo, but they are light. Like 450 grains lol. Those 2514’s I think are about 550. They really thump a target and the bow is dead quiet. I have cat whiskers on my old Buckmasters 2000 but my Evo has none, and with a heavy-ish arrow, it doesn’t need any.

Aluminums can ding and bend. No doubt about it. But I still shoot dingers when I’m simply practicing shot sequences where I’m not concerned about hitting X’s as much as I am getting my muscle memory back and accomplishing the shot sequence without conscious thought. I had a long day at work yesterday and got home around 6:00 pm. I changed clothes, grabbed my bow and took four shots at the 30 yard mark.

One of those had a slight ding/crease, which threw the arrow off a bit. I pulled it first.

I would bet house money that the shot that dinged that shaft would have cracked most carbons. I don’t know if any of you are willing to chance it, but I never shot any carbons that showed any evidence of cracks. And I wouldn’t hunt or shoot spots or 3-D with that dinged arrow, but it still shoots “ok” for casual practice.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
funny observations, I utilize the string silencers as well, think i am striving for the ultimate in quietness in my rig, one of the big drivers of the 2315 , as someone mentioned the carbons are much more explosive coming out of the bow while the aluminium are whisper quiet
thanks for the feedback and hope to be posting some hero shots with the new set-ups this year

good luck all

1 - 20 of 26 Posts