Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had this problem before, but its a good problem to have I believe. If you could shoot a 590 grain arrow with 18.3% foc at 290fps would you? or would you change something about that setup?
before the questions start here is the setup that will push those numbers. RX-1 ultra, 80#, 31" draw. when we set the bow up on Saturday we tuned it with a 575 grain arrow and got 294FPS through my chrono. before anyone starts to bash shooting 80#, that weight is not a heavy for me and I can draw it smoother then a lot of guys can draw 70 and 85% let off it feels like you are holding nothing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wouldn't be to concerned about the speed. Get the arrow weight and FOC your looking for first and don't let the speed get to you. 550-600 grains should be great as long as you have the right arrow behind it that has a good memory to handle the abuse of high FOC (Gold Tip, Victory TKOs). Cheaper built arrows like Beman, Easton Axis, or CE Reds do not hold memory well. Stay toward a thicker walled shaft and you should have a beast setup.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't be to concerned about the speed. Get the arrow weight and FOC your looking for first and don't let the speed get to you. 550-600 grains should be great as long as you have the right arrow behind it that has a good memory to handle the abuse of high FOC (Gold Tip, Victory TKOs). Cheaper built arrows like Beman, Easton Axis, or CE Reds do not hold memory well. Stay toward a thicker walled shaft and you should have a beast setup.
I always thought axis arrows were a thicker wall arrow? how do you feel about the X impacts? I have done a lot of broadhead testing but not a ton of arrow testing, thats my next step in educating myself. I want to learn more about different arrows. I havnt found a lot of 250 spine arrows though

·
Registered
9,083 Posts
With your setup a 590 grain is not too heavy, especially at 290 fps. Axis arrows are very popular hunting arrows for a reason.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Axis and CX RED's are both great arrows and both have great memory. My Red sd's are the most consistent hunting arrows I have ever tested as far as spine and straightness and there has been no change in straightness or spine after a year of shooting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have not personally tested the X Impacts yet. I have tested the Renegades and those things have horrendous memory. I do not like the Axis arrows because of the large amount of fiberglass fillers in the shaft. That's what kills their strength and memory. Its not hard to test memory. Just get a good arrow spinner. Grab a new shaft and spin it. It might be dead straight no wobble, give it a quick bend and flex and put it back on the spinner. You will see wobble. The Axis and Beman arrows are probably the worse I've ever seen. I also do simple break tests. Take a 31 or 32" fresh shaft and slowly flex it from both ends till it breaks. Be careful when doing this, but it does show the build quality of the shaft. I can probably get a 6"-8" bend in most CE, Easton, and BE arrows before they snap. The Victory TKOs have impressed me and they go 10-12" before they break, but the Gold Tips have done the best for me over and over. The Hunters and especially the Kinetics I can almost get both ends of the shaft parallel with each other before they snap its crazy. All arrows are not built the same. Can you build a Axis and kill with it? Hell yeah you can but if I'm investing money to build the best ammunition possible for my bow I'm going to choose the shaft with the best memory and strength. You will probably never break a CE Red or Beman but I'd rather shoot a arrow that breaks with 18"-20" of flex over and arrow that breaks with 6-8" of flex. I learned this lesson the hard way on a sheep hunt in Texas. Hit the shoulder blade and my VAP arrow exploded like I hit a brick wall and I only got 2-3" of penetration. I now shoot GT Kinetics with heavy weight and high FOC and I've passed through a ton of shoulder hits and rib hits even a bad spine hit into the scapula with no issues. I'm not a bad shot whatsoever but odd shots happen to everyone. I'd rather build every odd in my favor for a bad hit than have my arrow break with almost zero penetration.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I even think their are videos on Youtube of Gold Tip torture tests. I watch them happen live at the ATA show every year cause I love seeing peoples reactions. Its going to create some butthurt and some egos are going to be bruised but Gold Tips (without stepping into a Grizzly Stick arrow) are the toughest production shafts on the market. Memory is the best as well. This really hurt Easton and CE fans but it true. Test some for yourself and see. Shoot concrete, use a spinner, break test, check specs on a RAM Spine Tester. You will see.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Depends what your shooting, if it deer I’d drop to around 500 and get a bit of extra speed and still have plenty to spare. For elk sized fame that set up seems ideal although the 500 gr. Arrow would be pretty awesome as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts