Archery Talk Forum banner

Trying to decide on fletchings to use

509 9
I have been trying out new fletchings and FOBs this past year and I am trying to decide what I want to stick with.

I finally got to shoot some new arrows with fusion vanes this weekend. I didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted to though. They seemed to fly okay. I am curious to see how they do when I can do some more shooting. Still trying to decide between the fusion vanes, bi-delta sharks tooth vanes, blazers and FOBs.

I shot FOBs before hunting this past year and shot them during season. They flew good and I have to admit the ease of fletching (or lack of fletching) was nice. If you bust one or one breaks you can just slap another one on in seconds rather than having to refletch an arrow. But I just can't seem to get away from that feeling of the fletched arrows. Don't know if that makes sense. The FOBs did hit a couple inches lower at longer distances though and at the time I shot them against bi-delta sharks tooth vanes and blazers and my fletched arrows stayed with the FOBs until you got further out then they didn't drop as much as the FOBs.

I have been shooting the bi-delta sharks tooth vanes lately (before I got some fusions) and I have liked them so far. I will have to do some more shooting with the fusions to see if i am going to like them or not.

I haven't been shooting blazers lately, but I shot them for several years and had no problems with them. Just trying out new things. You know how alot of us archers are LOL

Hard to make a decision when they all seem to be grouping well (at least for my shooting abilities ).
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
839 Posts
fletchings

i would stay away from blazers. i always shoot blazers for hunting and target.
but in the last year or so no matter what type of glue they will come off.
try FF 187's they have been great. just my two cents.

· Registered
2,354 Posts
Have you thought about feathers. 4 in feathers I think out shoot most any vane, even when abused and fairly tore up. I try different vanes a couple times a year but always end up back with feathers.

I agree, at the range where I shoot, we have done some testing on groupings and whatnot, and the feathers seem to be far superior. I have blazers on my hunting arrows, butnot for long.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Feathers , they just look awsome and fly even better ..

· Registered
1,694 Posts
right now i'm loving the Rayzr feathers. you might check them out.

I'll have those and fusion vanes (for wet days) in my quiver this fall.

I too am going away from Fobs. They work very, very well, but I enjoy fletching too much and i had problems with them last year on elk hunts due to using a hip quiver (bruch kept pulling them off).

· huh huh, archery rocks...
1,286 Posts
in the last two weeks, i have tested the fusions to the max...they shot about an inch higher at 40 than the blazers even though they weigh a bit more, broadhead flight is perfect. tight groups are automatic, i think you will love the fusion

· Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the look of the 2" rayzr feathers. I have never shot feathers. What are the pros and cons of feathers?

If you have to really pay attention to them as far as brush from hunting damaging them (in other words damages easily)and slight moisture (getting wet) then I am not sure I want to shoot them. I like for my gear to be rugged and not require alot of babying or checking.

But i do like the look of the 2" rayzr feathers

· Registered
5,465 Posts
The advantage of the Rayzr feathers is they are a lot lighter 1/3 the weight of a blazer, which increases your FOC. The only problem I can see with the Rayzrs is if it is raining hard and they get soaking wet, but you can spray them with waterproofing if you want. If it is raining that hard I probably won't be hunting.

So far in my limited amount of testing the Rayzr feathers work great on field tips and fixed blade broadheads out to 30 yards. That is as far as I could test them unless I wanted to tromp through the snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.