Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im completely new yo bow hunting and alot of times i hear the best way to get into something is to do it with someone who knows alot about it... problem is i dont know anyone who bow hunts in new york city... so i do have people who go gun hunting but i do know i love archery more then i do shooting ... i have shot recurve bows back in college but thats totally different from hunting with a bow... so before i just go to the local sporting goods store and just buy a bow i did my research and found that its more complex with draw weighs... and draw lengths... so for a first timer... how am i suppose to figure out whats right for me...

·
Mountain Life
6,855 Posts
:welcomesign: to AT, first thing you need to do is find a good pro shop and get them to measure your draw and so forth...:wink:

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I would suggest going to a local pro shop and demo some gear. Let them know your a beginner and would like to be fit. They will measure your draw length and help you decide a weight that would be suitable for you. If they are a quality shop they will not expect you to purchase a bow, but if you are treated properly you might be inclined to buy from them when you are ready. I would suggest shooting as many as possible to find the one that fits you best. Everyone is differnt so other peoples opinion can steer you in a good direction, but shouldnt dictate your final decision. have fun and welcome:wink: Alan

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Go to a reputable bow shop and get some advice, try some used stuff first.
Maybe someone on here is closer to nyc and might help a beginner. I myself am a safe distance away. Grew up in Greenpoint and am happy in Kansas.
Good book "balanced bowhunting" by Holt.

Good luck, its a blast.

marty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i tried that first actually... the pro shop wasnt so pro and basically didnt wanna try fitting me without me purchasing first.... which is definatly not good for business in their part... i find pressuring people into buying just cuz they will fit u isnt the best way of getting customers... but it was also a range... i was thinking of going to another range and trying to see if they have a pro shop affiliated...

but other then that i tried google for archery stores and thats the only one that came up.. besides one in jersey that came up second closest...

·
Registered
627 Posts
If there are ranges there then there will be Archery clubs. Try that most archery enthusiest would love to help a newbie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imma try the local archery club near me when i get a chance i do know of a range so maybe i can get some hints over there... i wish the clubs near by would allow me to demo some of their bows but the ranges here predominatly only rent out recurves...

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Im completely new yo bow hunting and alot of times i hear the best way to get into something is to do it with someone who knows alot about it... problem is i dont know anyone who bow hunts in new york city... so i do have people who go gun hunting but i do know i love archery more then i do shooting ... i have shot recurve bows back in college but thats totally different from hunting with a bow... so before i just go to the local sporting goods store and just buy a bow i did my research and found that its more complex with draw weighs... and draw lengths... so for a first timer... how am i suppose to figure out whats right for me...
A newbee with a real question....right on!

A local shop will get you pointed in the right direction.
Even Cabelas will get you started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts