Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i am new to this forum so i am sorry if this has been beat to death but i couldnt locate the info i wanted
So i have shot a compound bow for almost 3 years now and my gf is interested in learning to shoot; however she want to shot traditinal style bow. I am looking at getting her a Martin Diablo TD bow 30or35# @ 28" but her draw length will be 25-26" (and maybe me a 45# one :wink: ). but beyound that I am so very lost. I know most traditional bows have you shoot off that riser, but have seen martins with whisker biskets and other report they are having trouble getting it to line up properly. If anyone has a clue on this i would love the information. Arrows seem to be the hardest thing to find info on everyone seems all over with their info almost seems like its what you feel like. I would like to know what you shoot and why. Now i know most people shoot feathers with traditional for good reasons but if i am forced to use a wisker bisket wont that rip the feathers off? Finally some newer bows like the one i am looking at offer a place to mount sights. what is everyones opinion on that and whats the advantages / disavantages of this? i know this is a good amount to ask in one forum but i just want the most info i can get from people in one area. ty everyone for your time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Most traditional hunters shoot off the shelf with no sights. The bow is often canted a little so that the shooters eye is looking straight over and down the arrow. The diablo could be shot that way or more modern. The problem with a whisker biscuit is that for most shooters the biscuit would at least partially block the sighting picture. The rest supplied may be more suited to traditional. A centerrest flipper is a good choice as well. If you use sights then the biscuit may work because if you hold like you do with your compound, with the arrow considerably below the eye. You need someone who can show you the styles and stances so you can make some informed decisions.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yeah u need to get more options. Go to some big archery shops and try some. Also #35 limbs are usually used for grown men first starting. I would start her with some #20 limbs. Just a little thought your compound with %85 letoff you are only holding 10.5lbs at full draw. Assuming u shoot #70 so she will be holding atleast 2x the weight at full draw as u are. Eventually after about a year or more of shooting she maybe ready to step up to #35. U must get your form dialed in before going up in weight. Arrows for her will have to be very high in spine to spine out right. Something around .800-.1000 spine if she is shooting #20. There are many more that know a lot more than me that can line u out on arrows. It's not recamended to shoot a wb with fingers because of archers paradox that is the lateral movement of the string and arrow moving around your fingertips at release. If u use a mechanical release it isn't nearly as pronounced so not as much of a side load applied to the bristles of the wb. U can set the bow u mentioned up just like a compound with sights, dloop, wb rest or u can use a more traditional setup with a flipper or off the shelf with fingers and no sights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you know of a good web page or person that can inform me of different forms. i dont want to teach her something wrong and give her a bad habit that will be difficult to break. and i was going with the 30# limbs because that is the lowest they come in, is there a better bow for wemon thats roughly the same price? like i said i am kinda lost when it comes to traditinal archery. as for going to a shop its hard here the only shop in the town i live in doesnt know much and has some of the worst customer service i have ever seen then its over an hour drive to other small shops and i dont know if they carry much for traditinal equipment. so was hoping to gather lots of info then maybe make a short trip out of it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Just keep this thread going during the day u will get a lot of opinions.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
There is also trad gang that is a sight dedicated to just trad archery. Alot of info over there. My knowledge on trad archery is limited.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
To get some good info check oout trad talk. I use a morrison riser with hoyt carbon medalist+ limbs,43# draw and a hoyt super rest with 2013 platinums and banana fletch. Ive done alot of tinkering with my anchor and arrows to give me as close to a point on sight picture as possible. Esentially when at anchor i can use the tip of my arrow as a form of sight pin. 25 yards use it like a front rifle sight post and put it just below where i want to hit,at 20 yards i hold about 10" low. Start her out around 20# draw and slowly work up. Worst thing for a trad archer is to be overbowed. Id suggest a samick sage to start with since new limbs are easy to find and affordable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts