Archery Talk Forum banner

Trying to put cat whiskers on with dental floss=EPIC FAIL

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  jack70707 
#1 ·
Too cheap to buy serving, and too lazy to dig out fishing line or strong thread, I just tried to use dental floss to attach cat whiskers. The first one came out ok, but the floss kept snapping on the second one, so I cut the other one to start over. If there is one other person out there as stupid as me, please don't use dental floss to attch cat whiskers, you will regret it ;)

*Worst part: they were red ones I got from "Cool Cats," so it looks like I'll be placing another order with a better game plan

#3 ·
I just used camo yarn that I got from WalMart to make puff balls on my strings to keep em' quiet. Just cut the yarn into 4" pieces and tie on about 10 or 12 strands at each end of your string where you want em'. Make sure to tie around the string in different points so you don't get all your knots in on the same side. Then cut em' to the length you want em' and snap the string a couple times until they fuzz out and your done. A thing of yard should make hundreds if not thousands of puff balls and it's pretty cheap.

#6 ·
Really have to respectfully disagree here.... big time.

Been using floss and now Denotape to tie on whiskers for many, many, many years.

Johnson & Johnson Dentotape ONLY. I use it for peeps as well.

After I tie the knots on the whiskers.... I dab a little super gel on it

#7 ·
Just get the guy behind the counter to cut them a BIT longer than usual, and tie them onto the string overhand! Pull REAL tight, and then pull out one side of the knot and trim near your "pulling" fingers to release the whiskers, and repeat for the other side.

Plan B would be to get a string tool that you can work between the strands so you can slip in a whisker. Neet makes them.

#13 ·
Wool yarn is like $2.88 or something like that at WalMart and you get enough to cut thousands of 4" strands. It's what they make puff balls and stuff like it out of so just cut out the middle man and get some yarn and make your own. Just tie a doz. strands to each end of the string, cut em' to the length you want, fluff em' out and be done with it. After all, it's not rocket science, it's just something to stop vibration. LOL.:teeth:

#15 ·
Floss

Dental Floss will work in a pinch and gets the job done.

However I think for a Pro Shop to use it is kind of unprofessional.
We use the best supplies and products we can,

#17 ·
I prefer using floss, especially for peeps. I wouldn't do it if I worked in a pro shop, but for me it's a whole lot easier to work with than slippery BCY. If I decide to look "uptown" and use serving, I'll run it through some string wax first. Except not if I'm going to re-serve my string.

#18 ·
wax

I prefer using floss, especially for peeps. I wouldn't do it if I worked in a pro shop, but for me it's a whole lot easier to work with than slippery BCY. If I decide to look "uptown" and use serving, I'll run it through some string wax first. Except not if I'm going to re-serve my string.
that's what your supposed to do anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.