Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
25,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than get bits and pieces I just got the facts from the local paper.:wink:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...e-protection-at-outdoors-show/article/2579970

Turmoil: Harrisburg, Pa. mayor demands $250,000 ransom from NRA for police protection at outdoors show

By PAUL BEDARD (@SECRETSBEDARD) • 1/10/16 3:11 PM
TWEET
MailPrintMore
A nationally famous outdoors show in Harrisburg, Pa., saved by the NRA two years ago when anti-gun organizers shut it down over the display of AR-15 rifles, is in turmoil again after the gun group refused to pay the mayor's demand for a huge ransom in exchange for police staffing.

The Great American Outdoors Show will still open, but without the help of local police because the NRA balked at Mayor Eric Papenfuse's unexpected and exorbitant demand of $250,000 grant over five years and skyhigh police pay.

What's more, he told local media that he believes the National Rifle Association has fought city efforts to curb gun violence.

The NRA said that the show, which attracts 200,000 to the city and has a $70 million impact, will still go on Feb. 6-14 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex. And the NRA Foundation will still make its planned donation to several central Pennsylvania organizations including the National Civil War Museum.

The show was cancelled in 2013 after the previous organizer banned semi-automatic weapons like AR-15s from displays following the Sandy Hook School shooting in Newtown, Conn. Most exhibitors pulled out in protest, forcing the cancellation.

The NRA then moved to take over and brought in many new exhibitors in 2014, including gun makers. It signed a five-year deal with the city and the mayor and police chief believed that would include donations to the city like the $50,000 police cruiser the NRA handed over last year and fees to the Harrisburg Police Department [HPD].

But when the demands came in from Harrisburg this year, the NRA tried to negotiate then balked, sending much of its donation to the museum that Papenfuse wants to close.

Said the NRA: "Demands were made by the mayor for the 2016 show that included a 60 percent increase in fees to HPD to work the show and a requirement of a $50,000 grant for five years to the city. This offer was presented as all or nothing. If we did not accept, the mayor would pull HPD support. We offered a 33 percent increase over the next 3 years and a grant of $25,000 in 2015 and consideration in the following years, as it is illegal and against NRA Foundation bylaws to award multi-year grants. The mayor refused our offer.

"We are disappointed our more than generous offer was declined, but we are mostly disappointed that the officers we have worked with the last two years will be the ones most hurt. The NRA is the only group that has given back to the city in such a manner and still has standing offer to provide free training to city law enforcement and to bring our other community outreach programs such as NRA School Shield and Eddie Eagle for free."

PennLive.com reported that local police aren't happy with the decision. They have worked inside the show for 30 years and many officers need the extra pay. The NRA agreed to an increase over next three years from $30 an hour to $40 an hour, but the city wanted $50. About 40 police worked in past shows.

And worse for Harrisburg: PennLive.com said that the city will pay cops extra overtime to compensate for the lost NRA wages.

Paul Bedard, the Washington Examiner's "Washington Secrets" columnist, can be contacted at [email protected].

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Seems like a good business man could flip this around to the local mayor providing this service he's suppose to provide in the first place at zero cost to the show, IF NOT actually paying the show to come there in the first place. I'd bet that local surrounding communities would be tickled to have that show in their town. The local economy gets an enormous boost from this show. I think that this mayor is confused.

·
Registered
24,118 Posts
Sounds like political grandstanding in public support of Obama's recent gun control vendetta. Nice way to make a name for yourself as a liberal politician.......creating a stand-off with the NRA and turning it around to make them look bad. With all the issues in Harrisburg the past few years, I would suggest that it is time for the show organizers to look for a different venue in a place that welcomes an influx of sportsmen to PA as a boost to the local economy. Do they think ISIS is going to show up at a sports show with a bunch of guns on hand to make a stand??? They are cowards by nature and want to prey on folks through intimidation and terror tactics, not have a running gun battle with well armed sportsmen. This whole thing reeks of liberal politics and it is time for the organizers/NRA to call it out for what it is.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have heard that the regional economic impact is about $80 million.

The region supports the show - the city is a liberal, rotting cesspool.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
can you say "IDIOT"? that mayor likely bit off more than he could chew. this will likely bite him in the arse............

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
can you say "IDIOT"? that mayor likely bit off more than he could chew. this will likely bite him in the arse............
Let's hope it goes nuclear on him.

I don't pretend to know the whole story, but it seems to me that the NRA made a huge mistake in trying to appease him in the first go-round.
This is what happens when you try to negotiate with thugs, political or otherwise.

·
Ad Meliora
18,184 Posts
Unfortunately I suspect this show won't be in Harrisburg in the future....greedy extortionists. If it was a rally for some mainstream liberal agenda group, I bet he would provide PD free of charge.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
The mayor is a typical liberal. Hates guns and would ban them if he could. On the other hand this yearly show brings in many millions for the liberally run, almost bankrupt city, so he just is making an attempt to extort more money from the sponsor of the show. The residents of the city are taxed to about their limit. I can see not supplying police for the show. With almost daily gunshots in the city they have their hands full. Typical of a city run by liberals.

For anybody who has never been there I would like to say I think the 200,000 visitors sounds a bit low. For those who wind up there on a busy day you'd swear there are 200,000 per day. Moving the show to another location would be quite challenging. There are only so many places that could house upwards of 2,000 vendors and parking for several thousand visitor vehicles each day.

And just for everybodys' info parking has gone up to $15/day this year.

·
Ad Meliora
18,184 Posts
Farm show parking was same rate, I assumed it would be for all events. The more I think about it I hope they move the show. There has to be other options....let him have some liberal off the wall event.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Unfortunately I suspect this show won't be in Harrisburg in the future....greedy extortionists. If it was a rally for some mainstream liberal agenda group, I bet he would provide PD free of charge.
I think that Harrisburg is the only place east of the Mississippi (and maybe the entire U.S) that has a facility large enough to host the show. The mayor of Harrisburg is going to be the one feeling the heat for his foolishness.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
Shut the show down for this year & find a new venue. Let the $80 Million go some place else & fry the mayors aris.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The mayor is a typical liberal. Hates guns and would ban them if he could. On the other hand this yearly show brings in many millions for the liberally run, almost bankrupt city, so he just is making an attempt to extort more money from the sponsor of the show. The residents of the city are taxed to about their limit. I can see not supplying police for the show. With almost daily gunshots in the city they have their hands full. Typical of a city run by liberals.

For anybody who has never been there I would like to say I think the 200,000 visitors sounds a bit low. For those who wind up there on a busy day you'd swear there are 200,000 per day. Moving the show to another location would be quite challenging. There are only so many places that could house upwards of 2,000 vendors and parking for several thousand visitor vehicles each day.

And just for everybodys' info parking has gone up to $15/day this year.

Your comment about the people being "taxed to death" is interesting. Most people, "liberal" or "conservative," complain about high taxes and where tax dollars are spent. But yet, piss and moan about a city government asking to pony up some of the bill for the police security, which if they don't, will come from tax dollars. Can't have the cake and eat it too. We can't complain about high taxes and where/how tax dollars are spent, but then expect them to pay for only the crap we want them to or think they should. I say the NRA probably makes tons of money off this show, way more than a quarter million. If we assume 200,000 visitors is correct, at $13/ticket, that's $2,600,000. That's not counting members they gain. Maybe they shouldn't have to pay the full $250,000, but I don't think asking them to pay for some of the money to help reduce the amount of tax dollars that the city government will spend.

·
Perry Hunter
2,335 Posts
Your comment about the people being "taxed to death" is interesting. Most people, "liberal" or "conservative," complain about high taxes and where tax dollars are spent. But yet, piss and moan about a city government asking to pony up some of the bill for the police security, which if they don't, will come from tax dollars. Can't have the cake and eat it too. We can't complain about high taxes and where/how tax dollars are spent, but then expect them to pay for only the crap we want them to or think they should. I say the NRA probably makes tons of money off this show, way more than a quarter million. If we assume 200,000 visitors is correct, at $13/ticket, that's $2,600,000. That's not counting members they gain. Maybe they shouldn't have to pay the full $250,000, but I don't think asking them to pay for some of the money to help reduce the amount of tax dollars that the city government will spend.
And the city doesn't make a dime off of the show either right?! Give me a break. Harrisburg leadership has been horrible for many years. The city is a dump and the continuous shootings in a such a small metro area is a shame in itself. Every year the city falls further into embarrassment. This show helps pay for some of those taxes, and is one of the biggest events this entire area sees annually! Hotels, restaurants, all business', plus the city makes money on it as well. Let this show go, and Harrisburg can hang their hat on the Farm Show, RV Show and Auto Show....wow! $15 just to park is ridiculous as well for any event at this venue. Did the employee's pay rate go up that much each year as well, I highly doubt it, so figure it out. This show does nothing to hurt taxpayer's dollars, moreso helped it....lose the show and find another venue that will replace that income and economic impact it brought to the city and surrounding areas. The show has gone down hill since the mishap in 2013, and I agree, will most likely be elsewhere in the near future. Rightfully so!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
And the city doesn't make a dime off of the show either right?! Give me a break. Harrisburg leadership has been horrible for many years. The city is a dump and the continuous shootings in a such a small metro area is a shame in itself. Every year the city falls further into embarrassment. This show helps pay for some of those taxes, and is one of the biggest events this entire area sees annually! Hotels, restaurants, all business', plus the city makes money on it as well. Let this show go, and Harrisburg can hang their hat on the Farm Show, RV Show and Auto Show....wow! $15 just to park is ridiculous as well for any event at this venue. Did the employee's pay rate go up that much each year as well, I highly doubt it, so figure it out. This show does nothing to hurt taxpayer's dollars, moreso helped it....lose the show and find another venue that will replace that income and economic impact it brought to the city and surrounding areas. The show has gone down hill since the mishap in 2013, and I agree, will most likely be elsewhere in the near future. Rightfully so!
You completely missed my point. My only point is we sit here and complain about all the taxes we pay and what we pay for everything else, but then expect government to pay for everything, and then piss and moan when they ask for some assistance from big organizations. That's what confuses me the situation. If people think the city should pay the bill for the extra police security, fine, but then don't piss and moan about where/how tax dollars are spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Park at Bass Pro Shops for free and ride the free shuttle service over. This mayor and the previous one tried to extort money from the show and backfired. Got to love corrupt politicians.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
25,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shut the show down for this year & find a new venue. Let the $80 Million go some place else & fry the mayors aris.
All that would do is give the mayor what he wants, no guns. 30+ years of building a show, an event that helps so many lives, should never be let go just to appease one mayor.
They just need to figure it out, which the NRA has. They will hire other outside Harrisburg city police, if the mayor will not let them the local police work.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm sure the sponsors could supply law enforcement officers at a much cheaper price than what the mayor is trying to extort from them. If I was making the decision I would shut the show down and tell the mayor to say goodbye to the somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 million in revenue it brings to his city.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts