Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2011 Hoyt Contender Elite.

I have never have had a Target Setup. I just have a hunting bow (DXT), with multiple pins and a drow away rest.

Now that I have jumped over to the target scene I am a little overwhelmed.

For arrows I was considering X-cutters or fatboys. Any input?

For field points,do I select screw in or glue in points?

For a rest i was considering the Trophy Taker 2. Is the micro adjustment version worth the money?

Now comes my biggest confusion... the sight or scope.

What do I need. I am looking at shooting 3d and indoors. Can someone point me in a direction that wont kill my bank account too much. haha

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do you want to shoot in bow hunter or freestyle class?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good question. I enjoy the style of a freestyle setup but I believe it is outside of my bank account right now. Or am I wrong?

Hunter class is what I've done with my hunting bow and I never step outside of the class. I may go with hunter and then transition into freestyle in the future.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You can get different pieces as you go, to go from bowhunter to freestyle. You can also just start with shooting in bowhunter freestyle which is a combo of the 2.

To answer your questions regarding arrows:
Fat shafts: for reasonably priced shafts, you may want to look at the back eagle challengers. I have heard a lot of great things about them.
Field: I have never shot it, but I am guessing glue in would be better.
Rest: The micro-adjust is well worth it! I cant tell you how many times I have loosened a rest just to have it slide way more then expected. I hate going from being really lose, to starting all over again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the input.

Can you guys suggest some new sights on the market that I should look into. I have not looked into the market for a few years since I built my mathews. I shoot Black Gold on my mathews. But am open to new Ideas. I am really liking the dovetail sights that get the sight farther away from your face.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have always shot in the bowhunter class and as long as my eyes let me I'm staying there. I just bought a hoyt with everything for freestyle and I traded the stabilizers for a spott hogg it sight 5 pins.I really enjoy gaping pins for the different distances

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
you can shoot bowhunter freestyle with a target style sight, it just can't be extended beyond 6 inches from the riser, you have to use a pin in the scope body instead of a magnifying lens and it can't be moved once you shoot your first scoring arrow. there are plenty of decent target sights for sale in the classifieds and some of the older ones aren't any more expensive than a modern hunting sight. the age doesn't really mean anything, and less expensive, "entry level" target sights, work just as good as high dollar ones for all practical purposes. then , for just about the same money, you have your target rig, as well and can use it in BHFS, too. if you have a normal hunting rig already, this is the way to go. if you put a normal hunting sight on the bow, when you start shooting freestyle, you'll be spending more money shortly, for a target style sight.
the trophy taker 2 for a drop away, or a limbdriver micro would be the rest to go with, in my opinion, but that's all it is, just an opinion.
go with glue in points, if you're going after serious target shooting arrows, they're much more weight consistent and don't come loose.
if you're going to shoot indoor target events, you'll be shooting a known fixed distance of 20 yards, so multi pin sights are no advantage and you can sight in your single pin for that distance before hand and mark the slide. and if indoor 3d, at most of todays bow speeds, unless an indoor 3d range is really big, a single pin set at about 25 yards will work if you shoot enough to learn your equipment's trajectory.
for 3d outdoors you'll need to have a muti-pin sight in bow hunter class, because of varying and longer distances. I would set my target bow up with a freestyle rig and shoot in freestyle unlimited with it, where you can use a scope with a magnifying lens and adjust you target sight's elevation for each shot's distance. then, it is also already set up to be a good spot bow and just use my hunting rig for bowhunter class, otherwise, the two bows sort of overlap each other and the target bow isn't really optimumly set up for either class, indoors or outdoors. there's just no real advantage at all, in using a target bow in bowhunter class with any relatively modern hunting bow. hunting bows are just target bows with dull paint and target bows are just hunting bows with shiny paint. the only real advantage is target bows are usually longer axle to axle, but even that advantage is becoming questionable with today's extrememly good cam profiles and quality control.
I my self like to shoot my hunting rig from the freestyle stakes, for the challenge of the longer shots, I really don't care much about turning in a score in the proper class that my equipment dictates is should shoot in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts